need advice on Paxton kit for Viper SRT10

carlv12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I live in Valencia, Spain and I have bought a Paxton kit for my Viper SRT10 from april 2004 with VIN: 1B3JZ65ZX4V100816. My car has the following mods:
American Racing headers, high flow catalytic converters (2 of them instead of the stock 4 ones), cooler thermostat and a Borla exhaust system ( x-pipes deleted) and and new Corsa exhaust that I could fit if you recommend me.
Due to the fact that here in Valencia NOBODY has experience with Viper or Paxton, I want to avoid problems before installing the Paxton kit. I have spoken with members of the german Viper club that is the most important in Europe. I have the Paxton kit + SCT handheld controller calibrated by A&C performance and custom heat range spark plugs.

What is your opinion/advice concerning the following points:

1) should I use the Paxton fuel control unit (FCU) with the supplied 6:1 washer and ring spacer or fit the 8:1 version on my car with the mods I already listed. AND I always use 98 octane fuel.

2) the connectors to the fuel rail can cause fire = change them using safer connections with a "locking" system.

3) avoid fitting the two auxiliary fuel pumps inside the engine bay like the Paxton instructions do, because once more, if there is a fuel leak the whole car will catch fire, therefore fit the fuel pumps for example inside the fender or elsewhere.

4) use special and much stronger clamps and weld the aluminium air induction parts where possible on the duct to the charge air cooler to avoid air leaks that always will be there with the stock clamps that are too soft.

5) use a more powerful electronic water pump together with a larger water cooler to reduce the temperature (in summer it makes a big difference, cool air has always much more density than hot air = better performance)

6) the different pulleys and belts should be modified to "tooth" belt style ones to avoid slip when maximum acceleration is needed.

7) upgrade to stiffer clutch and half shafts

I hope you could understand my poor english
Thank you and best regards from Valencia

Carlos

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carlos.

The standard Paxton kit has proved to be very robust and reliable. I would not try to overthink a lot of it's installation.

With stock installation there have been no reported leaks or fires.

Todd at A&C has tons of experience with these systems. Please follow his recomendations

Most of the problems reported with Paxtons is from owners pushing them to higher boost levels.

While higher quality components are available, and always tempting to use, the standard package is well proven.

If you wish to keep fiddling with the system, you pretty much are on your own as far as results.

Best of success with your installation. The Viper remains easy to drive under low boost conditions, but when the revs come up, the power is addicting.

OP
OP
C

carlv12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Paul,

I understand your point of view, but the problem with the fuel rail connections can cause enormous damage, it's always better to avoid fire.

And please, who knows about my FCU question:
should I use the Paxton fuel control unit (FCU) with the supplied 6:1 washer and ring spacer or fit the 8:1 version on my april 2004 car with the mods I already listed. AND I always use 98 octane fuel.

Thank you

Regards

Carlos

OP
OP
C

carlv12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Paxton experts over there,

is it correct that 2.22" washer and ring spacer = 8:1 = rich should be used with modified cars with headers and high flow cats or no cats, because they run lean?

If so, my Viper that always uses 98 octane fuel, with American Racing headers, high flow catalytic converters (2 of them instead of the stock 4 ones) should fit 8:1 even if it's a 2004 model, right?

Hope you know about this technical question.
Thank you and best regards from Valencia

Carlos

Matt162

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I just currently finished up installing a Paxton on my car. Heres my list of improvements.
Water:
Oversized innercooler
Meizer water pump
I also replaced all the rubber hoses with braided lines and AN fittings.

Fuel:
-12 Billet rails
Injector Dynamics ID1000cc injectors
2 Aeromotive inline Fuel pumps
Walden Fuel pump
Braided lines and AN fittings

Misc:
TAil 50mm blow off valve
DLM upgraded tensioner
ATI Dampter
ATI Oversized 7% crank pulley for 10lbs of boost
Hi-Flow cats / M&M exhaust
1200hp rated axle shafts
Moton Motorsport coilovers

Im sure you can just bolt on the paxton and it will work well for you but I feel the systems are very "blah" with almost every component and nothing "Blah-like" should go on a Viper!

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change and pin dampener, use oversized cooler and pump, 8:1 ring and Doug Levin's tensioner. Leave everything else alone unless you just have money to burn. No pun intended. Also find a good tuner that uses SCT. I personally reccomend Dan Lesser a VSP. Don't go beyond that unless you forge the engine and exceed the normal Paxton gains. PS colder plugs.

Nixon's SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you have all the right parts. Like Black Moon said, be ready to build the bottom end. Tuning is the key to getting all that to work together and making the right power. Have any pictures of this install?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think you have a pretty nicely sorted out Paxton system, except for the 10 pulley. Going to be really on the edge without forged internals or water/**** cooling.

Since you have access to high octane fuel, you may have some buffer there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62