New 97 GTS Owner w some questions

Twans97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All:

Brand new owner of a Viper and loving it. A few questions though: What type of oil and where is best to get changes?
-Where is best place to replace rear glass hatch pumps?
-Anyone in IL region, where would you recommend reputable body shop in West Suburbs of Chicago?
-I damaged the lower front air dam coming out of my driveway, is it molded on to the bumper or is bumper one piece?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance for your help!

V

Venomiss

All:

Brand new owner of a Viper and loving it. A few questions though: What type of oil and where is best to get changes?
-Anyone in IL region, where would you recommend reputable body shop in West Suburbs of Chicago?
-I damaged the lower front air dam coming out of my driveway, is it molded on to the bumper or is bumper one piece?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome and congratulations on your new Viper!

Here is the local club for you to check out:
Home Page - Viper Club of America - Illinois Region
They can be a great source of information on all your questions.
Other will chime in!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome and congratulations on your '97 GTS purchase! Have no answers for you, just wanted to welcome you aboard! ~juli

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rear glass hatch pumps can be bought just about anywhere. dealership, parts stores, ebay. very easy to replace, takes about 10 minutes for both sides once you figure it out.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Mobil 1 0-40 w in mine with a Mopar filter. I made friends with the guys at the local Oil Can Henry's and they let me use their open pit to change my oil and filter. The local Dodge dealer didn't have a lift that would go low enough to get under my car. Welcome aboard, this is a nice place to spend some time. A good bunch.

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
All:

Welcome. Blue? Red? (BLue is faster.)

Park Forest IL has a good shop.
Roanoke Dodge in Roanoke IL is 70 minutes west and a GREAT place.
97 has 2 frame recall issues, and 2 TSBs (Fan, PCV) that need watching.
PartsRack [me] has OE struts for $75/pr.....MoPar OE, a bit more than NAPA generics
0-40 Mobil One unless you plan trace events, then 15-50 M1
Oil Filter matters: Mobil One or NAPA Gold (MoPar's is now made in Poland. Fact. Lighter weight than M1 USA)

The one-pc front bumper is an EZ-repair...youll just do it again some day. There are chinguards, 3-finger aluminum, ($99-$129) that protect it if have unavoidable driveway issues.

Welcome: IMMERSE YOUSELF IN VIPERs at VOI-10 DETROIT, Aug 27-31.
JOIN VCA...the IL Chapter is very, very active.....well worth the dues. Hell, this SITE is worth the dues!

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oil Filter matters: Mobil One or NAPA Gold (MoPar's is now made in Poland. Fact. Lighter weight than M1 USA)

And tell me Jon.......what's so bad about Poland?????

Best regards,

Mark Danalsky

:smirk:

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome!! Guess your questions are answered above.

There are some more shops where you can take your car - Autowerks [skokie] or Bill Sampognaro's shop on 80. Very good techs and they know vipers.

Where in the Suburbs are you? There are quiet a few of us here.

Next club meeting is on Aug 6th at Fuddruckers on Golf in Schaumburg. Be there around 6 and you can meet a lot of our members.

IL is a very active club - join the VCA and you will have fun.

OP
OP
T

Twans97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All:

Thanks for all your help. This is phenominal and will get working on all this stuff immediately. I look forward to meeting you all at the events and will join VCA IL very soon.

TG

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

And tell me Jon.......what's so bad about Poland?????

Best regards,

Mark Danalsky

MIKE, GLAD YOU ASKED!

Nothing is wrong with Poland, GREAT COUNTRY!
But the auto-parts quality there is not the best.
I have the MoPar SRT Mobil filters in hand, and the USA-made Mobil One filter, and the heft and quality is obvious. On my postage scale the USA weights a bit more. Oft times, the 'lowest bidder' gets the contract, and a low bidder seems to be at play in the filers and batteries at MoPar.

BUET WE CARRY BOTH !

Wszyscy Rozni - Wszyscy Solidarni

JonB

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave