New Belanger Headers/Exhaust installed.

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed Belanger Headers, exhaust and Random hi-flo cats.

First, let me say this car is much louder. I will definitely be waking up the neighbors, even at idle --- and I love it!

The "seat of my pants" dyno indicates a huge gain in HP! Heads are turning before they can even see the car (undoubtedly, they want to see what is making this wonderful sound).

Everything fits perfectly, although we had to flare out the pipes for the cats. The local shop did it without a problem. So far, no C/E light. I'm told it should not show up with these newly redesigned Belangers.

All the best!

Steve

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Does anyone have before and after dyno #'s with the Belanger stuff and RT 3" cats?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Been there, done that:
Before ('01 RT, smooth tubes & K&N filters): 415 RWHP, 448 RWTQ
After (Belanger headers, 3" high-flow cats, Belanger exhaust): 438 RWHP, 485 RWTQ.

Running without cats picks up another 7-10 HP and 10-15 TQ; JonB's extra-spicy $600 high-flow cats might split the difference between no cats and normal high-flows based on their flow numbers.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same setup sans cats:

Before 12.57 @ 115
After 12.14 @ 119

Snakeboxes eliminated c/e light caused by cats delete.
Improper front O2 sensor locations may also precipitate c/e light.
No cats and 4 bullet mufflers; still too loud.
No cats assults the olfactories; to be rectified.

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year is your car?

I want to do the Bellanger headers, but I would like to hear some other peoples results with 2001 Snakes. I am concerned with the o2 sensor problem.

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool I have the same set up in the mail, NOS next week, all the best. 2001 Yellow BUTCH'S Cat Back, Smooth tubes, K& N filters

OP
OP
R

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running a 00. I was at 416HP by 461.X/torque with filters/tubes/SnakeOyl rear delete. I will let the computer "learn" the new setup and redyno sometime next month.

Steve

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Full Belanger system--no cats, 4 bullet mufflers--love it!
It did set 02 and cat lights/moved 02's per recommendation. Light remained on for about 1,000 miles, then went out and came back on a few hundered miles later. I thought it would be the cat code, but it was the 02 heater code again. The cat codes were in memory, but did not trigger the light. I am going to wait till spring to see how many fixes are out there. I may try the snake box or go with some hi flo cats and eliminate one set of mufflers. I don't want it quieter.

Steve

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sheyster:
Awesome! I have the exact same setup coming "in the mail". Does anyone have before and after dyno #'s with the Belanger stuff and RT 3" cats?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Before 400.3 RWHP 432.3 RWTQ
After 431.4 RWHP 472.4 RWTQ

This is in a 2000 "creampuff"

OP
OP
R

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for sound, I had the Edelbrock/Borla combo on my 97. The 00 with the Belanger/Belanger setup is much louder (I wanted my Viper to sound as mean as it looks).

As for "seat of the pants dyno", I can definitely tell the difference. I think we're talking 30-40HP gain, not 10-15.

If one hits a 40RWHP gain on a 00/01, that's ~10% gain. If you can't feel a 10% gain in power, you must be getting old and suffering from sensory depravation!
biggrin.gif

From the dyno sheets I've seen, the average gain with this combo on a "creampuff" seems to be 38HP.

Steve

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had Edelbrock/Borla on a 96 GTS great sound and power, I had to put the cats back on because it was way to loud.Than I had Borla headers and Borla cat back on a 2000 RT/10, did not seem as powerful as the 96. Now I have a 2001 ACR with Belanger headers , high flow cats and Belanger 3". To me this is the best sound and best power combo.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1bad,

Sounds like you did 1 BAD INSTALLATION of your Belanger headers. There is no comparision in the power between edelbrock and Belangers. Too many people have sucessfully switched brands. Ask me for about 45 of my over 200 Belanger customers who have, as they'd be glad to speak with you.

BTW, I wouldn't have ANY other header hooked to my 950+ Rear wheel torque producing, stock cammed viper! Period. End of story.

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

1997 GTS BTR 750 SuperSnake, 680 RWHP @ 944 RWTQ

SW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Hennessey headers cat back and throttle bodies on my '97. It made 464rwh. Last sunday I ran a [email protected] on Pilot Sports, in the heat. I had to leave at idle, anything above that, it would spin too hard.

SW

Reaction score
Some of you that may not have the mechanical expertise may want to understand this:

There is NO "one header fits all" that makes the most horsepower.
Depending on the type of modifications you currently have dictates what type exhaust header best suits your needs. What may work best for one application may not suffice for another. Do your homework and determine what type of modifications or racing you intend to do. It's always best to look ahead.

From a technical aspect, we have flow tested heads WITH the header installed on a flow bench and without and found very interesting results. We tested different types of brand headers and found not all headers provide good scavenging and flow as we may have thought. Keeping it simple, the header primary tubes should be an extension of the heads exhaust port runner. More important, six inches out from the heads exhaust runner port should be a close match to the headers primary tube. A good header provides a perfect extension from the head to allow the spent exhaust pulses to flow without restriction or turbulence. We measure flow numbers from the head without the header attached, then bolt the header to the head to determine the percentage loss and other data.

We haven't tested the Edelbrock thus far, but would gladly test a set if somebody would like to send them.

BTW. When they flow just right on the bench - They actually whistle!

Regards,
Doug Levin

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Bad,

Quit with the lame crutch excuses and bring that hunk of junk down here or post a 10.30 at 140 mph or better timeslip, or a dyno pull exceeding 940 Rear wheel torque or 700 rear wheel horsepower.

Total Horsepower, Geek! Thats what turns on the win lite. I could care less about your undrivable 550 hp slow Asp 20,000.00 11 second viper! Shoet, I ran 11.1 last nite(on MOTOR) with my 500 RWHP. While it was fun and great to do on the stock cam and internals with excellent driveability..............IT WAS SLOW.

If you can't do one of the above, then I suggest you let Nick or the Nases speak for themselves as they are GREAT PEOPLE and you sir, are harming their reputations, or please, post some numbers worth bragging about! At a minimum lets see an edelbrock headered car run 140 mph in the quarter, please.......please, im begging you to back your claims with proof, just like I do. Can you do that simple thing without all this correction that, gears this, just ask so and so as he did this, geeeeeezzzz.

Sorry readers, this guy is just too much sometimes and brings out the street racing smack talker in me. One thing is for sure though, his mouth is alot faster than his car. Id love to see him along side me in the lanes or on the street!

Tom

BTW, to answer your question, Joe(1bad)Tuesday of this week I loaded up my 2 year old son and drove the viper to the dyno shop(over 170 miles round trip), layed down 680 RWHP and 944 RWTQ, and drove back home. Driveability?

This day in age with all of our worldwide problems, problem tuners and products that don't perform, I feel that it wasn't right for you to bash the original poster of this thread as I read his post as someone who is happy with a product and sharing his thoughts. You basicly made him feel like he made a bad buying decision.

Joe, it takes all kinds to make the world go round. If we all modded our cars just like yours we would all be alike, there would be no 9 or 10 second vipers and only one viper tuner...............get real.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Amy Seal:

Amy - Future Viper GTS Owner<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your brashness is in stark contrast to your status.

OP
OP
R

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow John,

I know dyno numbers can be changed by an assortment of things (weather, etc). Are you sure about that first run torque wise?

My base numbers (with SnakeOyl/K&N/smooth tubes) are 416HP/461.2 torque. I'm hoping I'm at 440RWHP (no clue as to torque gains) -- we'll see.

I might try to dyno her this weekend.

Steve

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gentlemen......and Lady,

Lets get a few facts straight. I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars dyno testing Vipers and there is a definate common thread when it comes to exhaust mods.....2000 and newer vipers don't respond as well to exhaust upgrades as their ancestors, the 96-99 Gen II's. It has nothing to do with the exhaust system itself as we have recently unbolted a set of Belangers exhaust from a 2000 viper and bolted it onto a 97 and gained almost 50 rwhp with cats!

The good news is that these newer Vipers will respond to the exhaust mod once the heads are flowing better and rocker ratio is increased as evidence of several vipers that are known on this forum......example; Ben Treynors 01'. Made 415 stock, 436 with exhaust, but bolt on a set of heads and like majic he made 515, a total gain of 100 hp over stock!

What a coincedence! My own viper made 405 stock and now makes 501......a 96 hp gain with the same exact mods. The difference being that I picked up 50 of my hp from the exhaust mod.

In closing, ITS NOT THE PRODUCT FOLKS, ITS THE VEHICLE. I recently witnessed as a viper owner tested a set of CDI headers and the NEW Corsa 3" cat back with a gain of only 15 hp from stock on a 2001 viper! Im sure that for the money spent that "TOP SHELF" exhaust system will make more than 15 horsepower, the car owner just needs to realize that the powerplant and ECU are the problem, not his exhaust system.

Viper owners(id like to meet exactly who) wanted to do away with the lopey idle and neutral gear rattle of the 96-98 vipers, so now we are left to deal with the result of those changes.

Tom

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recoil,

Get ready for disappointment with the power gains...

I heard many claims of 50+ horsepower. My car got a whopping 17 extra rear wheel horsepower and a whopping 10 extra for rear wheel torque.

I don't think I'm alone in the disappointing numbers. I have seen several posts showing cars making only 430-440 rwhp after Belanger exhaust. Mine made 441 rwhp compared to 424 rwhp before Belanger.

Not much different than my Z06. The claimed 20+ hp for the Halltech TRIC intake system only made 11 additional horsepower.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe,

Lets do one better, I will let Amy drive my car and video her kicking your dumb asp! That my friend will be priceless!

Ok, come with the crutch, your on moter(motor) and rather slow on motor at that! Its a **** shame that a stock cammed viper has spanked your best time, regardless of tire, a **** shame.

Total horsepower has got you beat, just shut up and deal with it like a man or step up, bring that rig down here for a side by side demonstration of total horsepower! FOR WHATEVER DOLLAR AMOUNT YOU WISH! NO naturally aspirated viper will beat one of our prepped 750 SS cars or a quality nitroused car from any number of viper tuners. You cant beat em, and you cant talk us into handicapping our combinations to suit your combination. I suggest you do what no other natrually aspirated viper has done and spend another 40,000.00+ on some experimental gig in hopes of being competitive on MOTOR!

Beat the times and or dyno pulls or Go crawl back under your rock.

BTW, im not talking about headers, as you still haven't apologized to the poster of this thread for insulting his intillegence about his buying decision. Until you do, you are excrement in my book! This whole thing started because of your tasteless, insulting, and deamining attitude towards other viper enthusiasts. You should be ashamed.

Tom

BTR 750 SuperSnake PLUS 680 RWHP @ 944 RWTQ 10.30 @ 140+mph

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sean of NJ:

Amy, I thought I'd point out a couple of spelling/grammer errors since your so concerned.

Now YOU'RE the one one the spot! Watch your GRAMMAR! Signed the speling/gramer polise. (Live by the sword die by the sword)
laugh.gif

This post is getting AWFULLY heated!!
cool.gif

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shey,

I heard through the grape vine that you picked up your car today
with new Belangers on it. What do you think?

Regards,

2charmed

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe,

Your lack of knowledge about the propane system and its tank are quite evident. The propane tank is DOT and ANSI approved(two regulators that Im sure you know nothing about) and is the same style that is in every RV and diesel conversion on the highway. I feel perfectly safe with mine in the trunk, so do over 100 customers that ALL make more power than your rattletrap. I'd be more concerned about the vehicle fuel tank in a rear end collsion.

I give up on you, JOE. One thing is for sure, I will sleep well again tonite knowing that Ive got you beat, and by a wide margin on both power and track performance, and that I spent less doing it!

Take care, Im done with this topic.

Tom

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, as entertaining as this whole thread has been, I'm curious if the original poster ever did the dyno run that was alluded to so we can see the results?

(Let me proofread this to make sure my grammar and spelling are perfect!!!)

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

You BLUE it! (spelling intentional)

Your avatar is not correct! It's incomplete without your new
Yellow GTS. Just thought I'd point that out in the current theme
of this thread. (LOL and J/K)

Regards,

2Charmed

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2charmed:
Mike,

You BLUE it! (spelling intentional)

Your avatar is not correct! It's incomplete without your new
Yellow GTS. Just thought I'd point that out in the current theme
of this thread. (LOL and J/K)

Regards,

2Charmed

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah and you spelled your board name wrong, it's not spelled Venom Lover it's spelled Venom Loser with an "s".

BTW I LUV my full Belanger exhaust setup.