New member here, new Viper owner

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi VCA!

After lusting over these cars for years, I finally picked up my first car, a 2005 triple-black roadster, and the first thing I did was join VCA. Definitely psyched to finally become part of this community!

You must be registered for see images

First enhancement I'm looking to do to the car will be relatively minor, which is to upgrade the stock stereo, currently just the AM/FM/CD player. I'd like to get both nav and Sirius radio, and have been exploring the RB1 nav unit with the separate satellite receiver, but that doesn't appear to be an obvious solution as the wiring harness seems to be the sticking point and very difficult to find. Furthermore, from researching this, the reviews of the RB1 as a nav computer don't seem to be great, so.... that's my dilemma.

I'd be happy to look at aftermarket solutions, but can't seem to find any solutions that don't require cutting up the dash, which I'm not excited about having to do.

Any tips on from others who have successfully upgraded their stock music system?

Thanks!
Bryan
Roseville, CA

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First - congrats on the car.

Second - if you install a single DIN head unit, you won't have to cut anything up. I just got done installing a Kenwood head unit on my '08, and all it required was the correct adapter. Now, if you go to install a double DIN head unit, you will do some cutting.

OP
OP
C

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First - congrats on the car.

Second - if you install a single DIN head unit, you won't have to cut anything up. I just got done installing a Kenwood head unit on my '08, and all it required was the correct adapter. Now, if you go to install a double DIN head unit, you will do some cutting.

Sounds like a great solution, but can I ask where you got your adapter? I haven't come across something yet after a fair amount of web searching...

Thanks!
Bryan

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what I used to install my new head unit:

Metra 99-6503: head unit to dash adapter
Scosche CRAB/CRA: antenna adapter
Metra 70-6502: wiring harness adapter

Disclaimer: this worked for me, but I'm also running all aftermarket equipment, including aftermarket amplifiers/speakers. Your mileage may vary, but the dash adapter would work the same for any of it.

OP
OP
C

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's what I used to install my new head unit:

Metra 99-6503: head unit to dash adapter
Scosche CRAB/CRA: antenna adapter
Metra 70-6502: wiring harness adapter

Awesome, thanks Steve!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the VCA, best car club on the planet, Coor, great looking Vert :1up:

As for stereo units there are a few around :) I have a single din unit with ipod connection, blue-tooth,sat nav etc it has a motorised display unit....One of these http://www.carstereodeals.co.uk/Car_Stereo/zenec-ze-nc510-single-din-motorised-screens.html I think theres a new model out now this works fine for me in my Gen 2 Viper.

But If you want to go really high end there's always the Kenwood or pioneer units :)
Phil47 has a twin DIN unit installed in his Car
Take a look at this thread and scroll down through the pics to see it in place :)
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/650939-Painting-some-parts-on-the-Viper

SFViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the Viper club, keep an eye out for the Northern California VCA forums. There are several gatherings this year. Hopefully, you can join us at the track and let your Viper out to play.

OP
OP
C

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome to the Viper club, keep an eye out for the Northern California VCA forums. There are several gatherings this year. Hopefully, you can join us at the track and let your Viper out to play.

Thanks, I am definitely looking forward to some of the events!
Bryan

2005 SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great vert. Yes, the stock stereo unit and speakers leave alot to be desired. There is one gentlman on the board (his name is escaping me) who bought a unit that has nav built in and looks JUST as beautiful and seamless as a factory Nav setup. I will try to dig it up but do a quick search and you will probably be able to bring it up.

OP
OP
C

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks again, all, for the welcome and great suggestions so far. After driving the car for a few days, I have a couple newbie questions:

1) What gear do you guys cruise in? AFAIK, it still has the stock gears in the back, and I'm turning right at 2k rpms in 5th gear at freeway speeds (~74 mph). Is 6th gear only needed for the autobahn?

2) I'm trying to decide if my trunk struts need any attention. To pop the trunk, I have to physically lift it up while pressing the remote; otherwise it just relocks itself. Plus, it's a bit of a lift for 2/3rds of the way; when it's nearing the full-open position, it does lift itself up the rest of the way and definitely remains in position. Is this what you'd expect in terms of operation?

3) How bad is this car to work on for simple things like oil changes and a radiator flush?

4) Finally, this question is really going to scream NOOB: I've searched and scratched my head, both to no avail... What's "vert" as in "great vert"? Flame suit on and zipped... : )

Thanks,
Bryan

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks again, all, for the welcome and great suggestions so far. After driving the car for a few days, I have a couple newbie questions:

1) What gear do you guys cruise in? AFAIK, it still has the stock gears in the back, and I'm turning right at 2k rpms in 5th gear at freeway speeds (~74 mph). Is 6th gear only needed for the autobahn?

2) I'm trying to decide if my trunk struts need any attention. To pop the trunk, I have to physically lift it up while pressing the remote; otherwise it just relocks itself. Plus, it's a bit of a lift for 2/3rds of the way; when it's nearing the full-open position, it does lift itself up the rest of the way and definitely remains in position. Is this what you'd expect in terms of operation?

3) How bad is this car to work on for simple things like oil changes and a radiator flush?

4) Finally, this question is really going to scream NOOB: I've searched and scratched my head, both to no avail... What's "vert" as in "great vert"? Flame suit on and zipped... : )

Thanks,
Bryan

1.) I'll put mine in 6th as early as 55MPH...lugging these engines is no problem. Just don't expect to be able to pass without dropping it down a gear or two.

2.) That's exactly how mine is, but I don't mind since I'd rather it not go flying up without my hand guiding it. As long as the struts can hold it in the up position, they are fine IMO.

3.) Don't know since I haven't personally done any major maintenance yet, but from what I've seen on here it isn't rocket science. From what I can tell, the car needs to be level when draining the oil to make sure you get as much out as you can, and the hardest thing about a radiator flush seems to be burping the system after you refill it (and there are a couple good threads around here on how others have done it).

4.) Vert = convertible

OP
OP
C

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1.) I'll put mine in 6th as early as 55MPH...lugging these engines is no problem. Just don't expect to be able to pass without dropping it down a gear or two.

2.) That's exactly how mine is, but I don't mind since I'd rather it not go flying up without my hand guiding it. As long as the struts can hold it in the up position, they are fine IMO.

3.) Don't know since I haven't personally done any major maintenance yet, but from what I've seen on here it isn't rocket science. From what I can tell, the car needs to be level when draining the oil to make sure you get as much out as you can, and the hardest thing about a radiator flush seems to be burping the system after you refill it (and there are a couple good threads around here on how others have done it).

4.) Vert = convertible

Thanks, Steve! Great info on all points. And a major ah-hah moment for me on vert.... :)

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with Steve on #s 1, 2, and 4 above.

Don't worry about being a newbie...It'll be pointed out to you soon enough (over and over and over and over...) by the folks that were lucky enough to have bought one before and have been on this forum awhile :crazy2:

Will you be attending VOI in Charlotte?

OP
OP
C

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agree with Steve on #s 1, 2, and 4 above.

Don't worry about being a newbie...It'll be pointed out to you soon enough (over and over and over and over...) by the folks that were lucky enough to have bought one before and have been on this forum awhile :crazy2:

Thanks, Silver. There's a great word in Japanese that is a way of saying "thank you", but also kind of adds the words "and I'm grateful for you tolerating my awkward and unsophisticated ways..." Katajikenai!! : )

Will you be attending VOI in Charlotte?

Didn't even know about it until now, but I might have to start thinking about it!

Bryan

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Silver. There's a great word in Japanese that is a way of saying "thank you", but also kind of adds the words "and I'm grateful for you tolerating my awkward and unsophisticated ways..." Katajikenai!! : )

Didn't even know about it until now, but I might have to start thinking about it!

Cool - the only Japanese I know is "Dōmo arigatō, Mr. Roboto"

If you make it to Charlotte, see you there!

brantdw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is easy to work on. Most parts are fairly common and easy to get to. The one thing I would recommend is reading as much as you can on how to drive this car. Its a hoot to drive, but when pushed the wrong way it will get out of control within a second. And of course it usually happens at high speeds. Please be carefull, learn the car and get some new tires. Leave your EGO outside the car when you press that little red button.

OP
OP
C

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The car is easy to work on. Most parts are fairly common and easy to get to. The one thing I would recommend is reading as much as you can on how to drive this car. Its a hoot to drive, but when pushed the wrong way it will get out of control within a second. And of course it usually happens at high speeds. Please be carefull, learn the car and get some new tires. Leave your EGO outside the car when you press that little red button.

Thanks, Brant -- really appreciate your perspective on both items. After two or three unexpected fishtails in just the couple weeks I've had the car, I'm absolutely amazed at how determined this car is to get its rear end heading sideways! : ) I have great and new-found respect for the torque that this V10 puts out, even at low RPMs and at what I thought was a very modest throttle position...

Your last comment is spot on!

Bryan