New NC member from PA

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys. We just moved from PA to NC (near Raleigh) a couple of months ago. We were fairly active in the PA club and are now looking forward to joining in here. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and look forward to meeting you guys.

BTW, for the members near or around Raleigh, who do you trust to have your cars inspected/smogged? I need to get mine done in order to register in NC. You can post here or feel free to PM me the details. Thanks!

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey there! NC member here too, I live in Fayetteville myself. I was actually born in PA myself lol, Gettysburg to be exact. Quite a few Raleigh area members, I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction, if not let me know and I'll find something out for you.

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in Raleigh, as well as Stuart, John, and Jeremy. Couple of guys in fayetteville as well. Welcome to NC.

To get mine inspected in NC I had to get it registered in Florida.

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in Raleigh, as well as Stuart, John, and Jeremy. Couple of guys in fayetteville as well. Welcome to NC.

That's because you have a AEM controlled car Shawn, us normal Viper guys dont have that problem. :D

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Half the counties in NC don't require a sniff/plug in test. Just register your car in that county.

OP
OP
B

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys...and "Hi" Ian and Tom...settling in well. The weather is better...that's for sure. :)

Correct me if I am wrong; A safety inspection IS required everywhere in NC but a sniff test is not? If a safety inspection is required regardless of location, I was hoping to find someone around the area surrounding Raleigh that at least has a good reputatoin. I'm all ears if you have someone you can recommend.

As for the sniff, 1fast400, so you don't have to reside in the county you are registering the vehicle? Do you have to physically visit the county you are registering in? I do know that all the counties surrounding Raleigh require sniff tests. Sorry for all the questions, but everything is so foreign to me here after living in PA for 30+ years.

Any advice is appreciated...thanks again and Merry Christmas!

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes a safety is required in all counties, the OBDII test is required in a large percentage of counties though. The OBD II test does not involve a sniffer, just a system that plugs into your OBD II port and checks for trouble codes and not ready codes. SO, basically as long as car is safe (good tires, suspension, etc) and no Check engine light on you should be fine.

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Mike, good to see ya on here. What counties will let you slide? How can I register it in a different county? Is a PO box good enough?

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to DMV, registered the car in non plug in county, went to a local station and got it inspected. Regardless of where you get it inspected you have to follow the county it is registered in's rules. I had no issues. Didn't need a different address or anything.