New owner - Check engine light

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I bought my 2008 Viper a couple months ago with 1,950 miles on it and have since put on about 300 miles. Same car pictured in my avatar pic, GTS Blue/silver. The previous owner replaced the stock cats with high flow cats and it sounds amazing with a bit more power too, about 620 hp now. Also has K&N air filter in place of the stock one.

The other day I drove it to my buddy's house and we washed, waxed, and detailed our cars by the books and very carefully, and I drove her home about 20 miles and filled up on gas a mile from my home. Took her out again that evening with my wife to a wedding about 20 miles away and about 4 miles in, the check engine light came on. Totally freaked me out, but the car was driving fine with no tangible issues. What do you think the problem could be, if any at all? My assumption is that it could be from filling up and the gas cap wasn't put back on perfectly, or maybe the high flow cats are causing something to trip? They do make a lot of popping noises, basically backfires, when I am driving and let off the gas. Should I bring her in to be serviced or do you think this is a non-issue that should be fine?

Thanks in advance for any advice or help!

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the same issue. Hopefully, it is the old 'gas-cap' vapor issue, hence turning on the CEL. I'd take it to Autozone (as I avoid dealerships) and have them read/diagnose the code. Autozone's here in Texas will do it for free. Hopefully in Jersey as well.

Others will jump in here....If memory serves, if it is indeed the gas cap triggering the CEL, you have to drive it several cycles to clear the CEL. I couldn't stand staring at the CEL, so had it cleared at a local Autozone within a day..........There's something about staring at a lit-up-engine icon on the dash of your car that will get your attention!

I'd still recommend you have it looked at, the code scanned and problem diagnosed. I'm sure it's minor given your mileage/condition of your vehicle. Better safe than sorry.

Beautiful color combo by the way. Those blue w/silvers I hear are almost as fast as the red ones:)

greg

Last edited:

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The high flow cats can definitely trigger the CEL...especially with "easy" driving. Could get the codes read at Autozone to determine for sure as mentioned above....but this is common unless the prior owner installed the Mopar controller. Since you have the "popping", sounds like you have the stock controller as the Mopar controller takes that away.

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The high flow cats can definitely trigger the CEL...especially with "easy" driving. Could get the codes read at Autozone to determine for sure as mentioned above....but this is common unless the prior owner installed the Mopar controller. Since you have the "popping", sounds like you have the stock controller as the Mopar controller takes that away.

Why would anyone want to take away the popping sound? I have stock exhaust and would like to hear the popping more/louder...

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Probably a cat efficiency code, the high flow cats can set it off as briangts says above. Just clear that code and if you drive harder it won't come back.