New owner engine Qustion

Chris Thomas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
New viper club member and owner looking for seasoned advice from the long time owners. I purchased a 2000 Viper and I noticed the engine has a rough idle worst at times Ive owned other V-10s but not a Viper. Is this a normal for the Vipers. Thanks :2tu:

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am no mechanic but has the battery been replace recently?
Many times it can take a while for the computer to relearn
I believe the technique is after hooking battery up you press accelerator to the floor twice with the ignition on (before starting)
Someone will chime in that knows more than me.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>other V-10s but not a Viper<<<

Audi, Lambo, BMW,...

you cant compare, really...take the car to a good dealership or to a local Viperclub meeting to check

OP
OP
C

Chris Thomas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought the Viper November 07 and put in storage for the winter the batter was propbably low because I did just replace it this week, it was dead. I will try your technique. I will take it to a dealer shortly just to make sure everthing is in good operating order. I was going to take it to Dick Scott Dodge in Plymouth Mi. unless anyone has a better location. Iam in Bay City Mi. Thanks for the feed back !!

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also make sure you have fresh gas... like from this year... gas ages quickly, and looses the "light ends" which help with idle stability. Also check your plugs, sooty plugs from running to gently will hurt idle stability as well.

Some roughness is to be expected though... nature of the beast.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2000 has a rough idle... not quite as noticable as other vipers Ive been in. From my experience it's normal. If it gets really rough or progressive then maybe you have an issue. Im not a mechanic either but I would assume all V10's would rumble.

:usa: