New to America, New to a Viper.

dxbtune

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good Morning, All.

I moved to Houston September of last year. Am Originally from Belgium and grew up in the Middle East (Saudi/Dubai/Bahrain). My job brought me here.
Studied Aerospace engineering, worked on oil rigs as a M/LWD engineer and Directional Driller, currently Technology project manager for the company here in Houston.

-Recently bought an 06 Viper as I have always wanted one since the age of 8 when my father bought me a toy model.

I have been reading the forums and found some interesting information, am not new to the forum scene as am a moderator on one in Dubai. www.evolve.ae

There are a couple question I wanted to ask.
Model: 2006 (No mods)
Mileage 19,000

Recently ordered the K and N filter and 3 oil filters.
Need to do an oil change, after reading threads looks like Tom's recommendation is Mobile 1 synthetic

couple Q's:

1-I believe the fan for the AC under the compartment box is on its way out as it makes random squeals that vary in pitch or frequency with the fan speed. Is this a common issue? Ac blows cold, most likely the motor needs replacing.
2-When the engine first fires up I hear a single audible tick almost like a thermostat clicking open but I cant be sure. does it 2 or three times then no more.
3-I have some play in the drivetrain, not severe but noticeable if I don't feather the clutch at low speeds or tap the gas I can hear audible clunks (minor nothing brutal)
4-I also hear a very light whining from the rear diff but nothing drastic.
5-When the vehicle is warm I hear almost like a turbo BOV between shifts very very slight.
6-Black oozing silicone coming from the window on both sides when warm.
7- When warm and if I park the car for a few minutes then fire up and get going when engaging the clutch to drive off slowly it feels and sounds like when you rub your but cheek on the bottom of the bath (also very slight)
1/3/4/6 Im ok with an understand whats going on unless I can have some input but 2/5/7 I would like to better understand the deal.

I understand its a Viper and believe me I love it, and a very proud owner. Have had high performance vehicles in the past including bikes.. the Viper is a brute and like no other.

Thanks

Dxbtune

You must be registered for see images attach

intense5.5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as question 1; there is a bearing on the bottom of the blower motor housing. Get into the passenger side footwell (this is fun to do) and remove the motor and get some oil on the bearing. If you don't, you'll be under there sooner or later to replace the resistor (for $136) and lube the bearing because the drag at startup burns out the resistor. Oh and welcome to America, home of the free, land of the Viper.

OP
OP
D

dxbtune

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Intense, thanks for the input.
Will do this over the weekend.
-Any type if oil recommended for this type of application?

intense5.5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most anything you can get on it will fix it. The better you lubricate it the longer it will last. WD-40 won't last long. Iirc, I was able to get some grease on it, and a few drops of bicycle chain lube to thin it out and spread it around and coat everything. I'd washed out with brake cleaner first. Did it several years ago and it's been fine since.

OP
OP
D

dxbtune

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Most anything you can get on it will fix it. The better you lubricate it the longer it will last. WD-40 won't last long. Iirc, I was able to get some grease on it, and a few drops of bicycle chain lube to thin it out and spread it around and coat everything. I'd washed out with brake cleaner first. Did it several years ago and it's been fine since.

Thanks for the advice, will let you know how it pans out.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some periodic driveline clunk is normal in these cars.
-as long as there is no vibration or noises while driving, should be OK.

Change the rear diff. oil ....or at least have it checked. Shouldn't be whining unless low on oil, poor gear set-up, excessive wear or something.
Mine was whining before it blew up. The new replacement has been quiet for the last 35,000 miles.
I have the stock Hydro-lok 3.07 diff.

If your car was driven abusively before you got it, you will be replacing the diff soon.
The pre 2008 diffs are a weak point of the car and do not tolerate abuse.

OP
OP
D

dxbtune

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some periodic driveline clunk is normal in these cars.
-as long as there is no vibration or noises while driving, should be OK.

Change the rear diff. oil ....or at least have it checked. Shouldn't be whining unless low on oil, poor gear set-up, excessive wear or something.
Mine was whining before it blew up. The new replacement has been quiet for the last 35,000 miles.
I have the stock Hydro-lok 3.07 diff.

If your car was driven abusively before you got it, you will be replacing the diff soon.
The pre 2008 diffs are a weak point of the car and do not tolerate abuse.

Thanks, Allan.

-What would you suggest to use for the diff oil? Is there a better product out there apart from what is recommended from factory? In addition to this, would you recommend I go with Mobil 1 or Royal Purple and what grade...

I'm planning to do an oil service this weekend and install the K and N air filter, I should take advantage and change out the diff oil as well.

Dxbtune.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as engine oil, I would recommend Mobil 1 Synthetic 0W-40 because it has published, higher ZDDP ( Zinc & Phosphorus) levels than their other car oil blends except for the 15W-50 which people who track their car use. Some other premium synthetics have high ZDDP levels, if you can find it published. Also recommended by Tom, the oil expert, was diesel formulation for its high ZDDP.

Mobil 1 specs: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

OP
OP
D

dxbtune

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I go to Oreily auto part store today to grab the Mobil 1 oil I need and at the same time look and see what available diff oil brands they have 75w -140. Anyways this guy was watching me and I finally ask him what's up. He hands me a card and it turns out he is the reliability manager for royal purple.
I didint but anything for the viper yet but I had a question.
-Apparently the royal purple diff oil available has the slip additive in it, would this suffice?
Would it be better to just get the mopar diff oil and mopar slip additive from dodge?

Dxbtune

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an auto repair shop, and buy petroleum products in bulk from a large distributor.
Have various brands available including Royal Purple, Mobil-1, and whatever else.
Also shop at the regular partshouses -NAPA, CARQUEST, O'Reilly..........

That being said, I will not put anything in the transmission or rear differential besides the Mopar stuff that I get through the dealer.
I change those fluids about every 6 to 8 track days.

OP
OP
D

dxbtune

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an auto repair shop, and buy petroleum products in bulk from a large distributor.
Have various brands available including Royal Purple, Mobil-1, and whatever else.
Also shop at the regular partshouses -NAPA, CARQUEST, O'Reilly..........

That being said, I will not put anything in the transmission or rear differential besides the Mopar stuff that I get through the dealer.
I change those fluids about every 6 to 8 track days.

Allan- that boosted my confidence level for the diff oil and will stick with Mopar recommended products.

Thanks again.

Dxbtune

OP
OP
D

dxbtune

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quick question, only hen ac on a fan kicks in and the fan increases in speed with rpm. Almost like the fan gets a queue from the alternator to speed because more current? Normal?

OP
OP
D

dxbtune

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On iphone apologies for typos.
When ac on*
To speed up*

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen III has a hydraulic engine cooling fan driven by the power steering pump.
When the A/C is on, the fan is on to draw air through the A/C condenser (in front of the radiator)
If you rev the motor, the P/S pump spins faster and as a result the fan speeds up as well.
The PCM controls the fluid to the fan with a duty cycle controlled solenoid. Apparently they don't reduce the fan apply duty cycle when the motor revs briefly to keep the fan speed constant.
The earlier and later Vipers have electric cooling fans, also accompanied by more hot engine temp issues. Gen III doesn't have overheating issues, but we have the P/S hose to the fan assembly problem as a trade off.
I have replaced my hose 4 times and my pump twice.

So,....the fan noise you hear is normal.

OP
OP
D

dxbtune

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Allan,

-That's interesting info, appreciate the input.

Smile back on my face.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave