New track enthusiast member intro

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've been a long time admirer of the Viper on road courses where I've diced it up with them in my modified SupraTT and MR2T for over 10 years. Most recently I've been tracking my '10 Jag XKR convertible. I've decided to trade the XKR, and its future replacements, within the factory warranty period so I'm hopefully always enjoying trouble-free motoring in a late model car. I've started to consider its replacement, and the new Viper is on my very short list. I live 1.5 hrs NE of Toronto, Canada, my home track is Mosport, and I've enjoyed distant tracks like Road Atlanta, Virginia International, Road America, Mid-Ohio, and more local tracks like Watkin's Glen, Le Circuit Mont Tremblant, and Calabogie.

So I'm here to learn about all things Viper from their most rabid supporters! I'd say my priorities lean heavily to a car that's very high performance, quite rare/exclusive, trackable for lapping days right from the factory (or with only minor mods), fun to drive, comfortable enough for a weekend get-away with the my wife and overnight bags, and have reasonable resale value as it will be traded. I drive the current toys very infrequently, and on country highways where I live as opposed to the city. Most mileage in the past has actually been driving to and from local and distant track events. It seems I'm usually carrying other people or supplies, or doing routine things like shopping in town where I wouldn't want to worry about parking. For those uses I drive my Sienna DD. All that doesn't leave much opportunity to enjoy the toys...but that makes it even more special when I do!!!

I'd be delighted to hear from others who have moved over from the cars I've mentioned, or bought their Vipers with the same priorities in mind. I'll also eagerly await impressions of the production Gen V. Thanks for reading, and I look forward to spending some quality time here.

Bruce

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome, Bruce...

So, just how important is the "comfortable enough for a weekend get-away with the wife and overnight bags" part? :)

V

Venomiss

Welcome! Be sure to use the search feature and read the how to use the forums thread at the top of this new owners area.

Just in case you haven't seen this before-VCA Ontario Region.
John Malatesta is the President.

http://www.ontariovipers.com/

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll just barely make it but a coupe has more room than a convertible. My wife and I use our Viper to travel - went to VOI. There is not much room in our convertible for extras. As a motorcycle tourer, that doesn't bother me - my wife not so much inclined to do without. I did take a helmet to VOI but my wife would have preferred it stay at home so we could pack more "necessities". After getting the goody bags it was tight going home but we made it!

Thanks guys!

That may depend on which of us you ask, but let's just say room for one overnight plus a helmet bag is essential:D

Bruce

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome Bruce,
A few questions to aid in responding with relevant info to you:
-Could you share your overall budget for Viper + modifications to make it track ready?
-Do you drive to the track on street tires and run as is, or do you do extra wheels with r-comps?
-Are you leaning toward any specific viper generation and why?
-Have you been for a ride in any Viper? What generations?

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll just barely make it but a coupe has more room than a convertible. My wife and I use our Viper to travel - went to VOI. There is not much room in our convertible for extras. As a motorcycle tourer, that doesn't bother me - my wife not so much inclined to do without. I did take a helmet to VOI but my wife would have preferred it stay at home so we could pack more "necessities". After getting the goody bags it was tight going home but we made it!

I thought the 14.6 cu ft Gen V cargo spec looked sufficient, and that would have been for the coupe of course.

Welcome Bruce,
A few questions to aid in responding with relevant info to you:
-Could you share your overall budget for Viper + modifications to make it track ready?
-Do you drive to the track on street tires and run as is, or do you do extra wheels with r-comps?
-Are you leaning toward any specific viper generation and why?
-Have you been for a ride in any Viper? What generations?
Thanks! I'd be buying the Gen V new (or demo) and would not modify it, no track wheels and R's (6 sets for the other track cars stacked in the garage is enough), tires suitable for both street and track days, and Gen V for the upgraded interior and features. I haven't driven in a Viper...but diced it up with many on the track! We've got a good thread going now in the Gen V forum...http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...owner-s-prospective-buyer-s-take-on-the-Gen-V

Bruce

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From someone about an hour from you, welcome to the forums! :)

Do lots of reading. Ask many question. Be prepared to fall head over heels for these cars. And once you do, there is no turning back! :)

Robert

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Robert! Do you or other locals do any events at Mosport, and which ones? I used to see the odd Viper at the Dexter Days, but I don't believe they have any events booked for 2013 at this time. I'll probably do some events with 6th Gear again. Calabogie events?

Bruce

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce

Yeah, we have done limited stuff at Mosport over the years. Due to cost though Calabogie and TMP seem to be the normal choices though.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about the Gen V, but the rear compartment on the Gen IV has plenty of room for an overnight and helmet bag. When I drive to the track, I can take a jack, helmet bag, suit bag, 5 gal gas can, torque wrench in a box, and a few other items. Of course, if you want interior luxury and a compliant computer controlled ride to roll country highways all day, go with the Gen V.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21