New Viper Coupe vs. Corvette C6 Z06

Richard EVO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering what you all think about the great new Viper Coupe, in comparison to the new Z06. Very similar performance, but Z06 is $67K and Viper is $84K. I know I am in Viper land and there will be lots of reasons why the Viper kills the Z06 notwithstanding the price difference, just want to hear what those reasons are. Thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
R

Richard EVO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see by the picture they're out at Willow Springs now in the hands of owners. A few have hit the streets now in SoCal so there should be plenty of data and impressions shared very soon.

Actually, that pic was taken a couple of weeks ago at an HPDE event at Big Willow. Road & Track magazine was testing a Z06 with Michigan mfgr. license plates at the event. I believe that Z06's are just getting into the hands of the first buyers this week.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would get the viper. but it depends what you are going to do with it. if you want to track get the viper, if you want an exotic that people will say wow look at that get the viper, if your going to mod it definitely get the viper but if you want a daily driver that wont get much attention get the vette. performance wise there close. these are by the manufature claims

speed: vette (vette 0-60: 3.7,viper:0-60 3.9)
brakes: viper (viper 0-60:97 feet, vette 0-60 105 feet)
grip: viper (viper skidpad average: 1.05g, vette 1.04g)

basically if you want a vette get a vette if you want a viper get a viper. :2tu:

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW only the unknowing are paying any where near MSRP on a Viper. Those in the Viper "community" know how/where to get one at closer/at dealer invoice or less in rare cases. this actually brings the price margin closer in '03 the dealer invoice on my SRT was $76k and change. I am sure they have not gone up that much given the current automotive economic climate. The Z06 is still selling at MSRP for most people(for the time being) at $67k. The new Z06 has become the new poster child for the best bang for the buck in supercar-sportscar performance. Do I want one, I am not sure at this moment in time. I need to see how the Dodge-SRT boys team step up to the plate. When i can get at my price(havent decided what that is yet) that may be the next ride in my garage(Ford GT). Till then I love my SRT-10 and it will still blow away 99% of the cars on the road or track. Just remember there is always a better and faster car out there(you can also substitute the word driver). And if you're at the top of the mountian(usually only last moments), soon comes the 800 lb. gorilla to knock you off(or 1100 lb Ariel Atom)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Cars are like clothes, they feel great when they are new, make you feel good, but they wear out, or you get tired of them, then you need a new one again.

There isn't a car that will be your "last" car, or your ultimate car that you will keep forever, wash and polish daily, and will to your kids or donate to the Smithsonian!

Instead, you will buy the best you can afford at the time, and hopefully be satisfied with it for a period of time, until the next greatest thing comes out. Then you will feel like its time to change cars again, and trade it in.

The only thing that remains constant, is our desire for something better. Its like a mountian that you just keep climbing, but can never reach the top.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cars are like clothes, they feel great when they are new, make you feel good, but they wear out, or you get tired of them, then you need a new one again.

There isn't a car that will be your "last" car, or your ultimate car that you will keep forever, wash and polish daily, and will to your kids or donate to the Smithsonian!

Instead, you will buy the best you can afford at the time, and hopefully be satisfied with it for a period of time, until the next greatest thing comes out. Then you will feel like its time to change cars again, and trade it in.

The only thing that remains constant, is our desire for something better. Its like a mountian that you just keep climbing, but can never reach the top.

Excellent analysis. I was wondering if it was just me. The total satisfaction I experience on something new never lasts because one month or so later, something "better" is on the horizon.

Just lucky I am relatively poor, or I would spend it all on that next better mountain.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Frank, thanks for your comment.

Even if I move on to some other car someday, I still have to say that the Viper has been the most rewarding and enjoyable car I've ever owned. No regrets at all, its been a blast! :)

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today, Saturday 6pm Speedvision has the C6 Z-06 on "First Drive" with Tom Kendall and Jeff Gordon.

All said and done.......it STILL looks like all the other C6 coupes to the unknowing eye.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see by the picture they're out at Willow Springs now in the hands of owners. A few have hit the streets now in SoCal so there should be plenty of data and impressions shared very soon.

Actually, that pic was taken a couple of weeks ago at an HPDE event at Big Willow. Road & Track magazine was testing a Z06 with Michigan mfgr. license plates at the event. I believe that Z06's are just getting into the hands of the first buyers this week.

well heres their results of that day directly from R/T

"In terms of raw acceleration, the Z06 is world-class quick, though not quite a match for its cross-town Mopar rival, the Dodge Viper SRT-10. Our vBox test gear clocked a 4.2-second 0-60 run, nearly reaching this speed in 1st gear, where the Dodge sprints there in 4.0; likewise, the Z06 dispatches the quarter-mile in 12.3 sec. at 116.6 mph, while its V-10-powered adversary cranks out a 12.1 at 119.3. The Viper feels quicker too in a roll-on situation, its extra 1.3 liters of displacement practically punting you forward, versus the still-forceful but more linear surge of the Z06."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R