New Viper Owner.....How warm is normal???

fdjake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just picked up a 1995 RT 10. 51K miles, temp runs just past the 190 degree mark while on the highway. Gets past the next higher mark around town. The radiator fans only seem to come on when I turn the ignition key to shut the car off. Let me be specific. The fans come on for a second while turning the car off. Once the key is in the off postion the fans STOP running. Every other car I've ever had, the fans continued to run even as you walked away from the car with the key in your hand. Is this normal for Vipers??? If not what should I check???

Drove the car 35 miles on the highway today....temp one hash mark past 190 degrees. Drove around the back roads about an hour later and the temp went between the SECOND hash mark after 190 and the 250 mark. Never went past that, but I didn't push it either. Car was NOT driven hard at all. Just cruising.

Any ideas??? Or is this just the way they run???

Outside temps here today are in the 60's.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
PERFECT, NORMAL TEMPS... THE FAN does NOT run when the motor is off. (why bother, the water pump is not moving water, and it drains the rear-mount battery)

The fans kick on at PCM-set temps....when you stop, the temp rises and fans kick on....or when you turn on factory AC they kick on....

Do you know how to BURP your motor of air? IMPORTANT!

VCA members can see the HOW-TO instructions

or call me.

Your head gaskets must already be replaced.........they seldom survive 50k miles!

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your temps sound normal. But you are saying the ONLY time your fan comes on is when you're turning the key off? Not when the engine is running?

The Viper does not have an after-run fan feature, Roe Racing carries a kit that addresses that.

OP
OP
F

fdjake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks again guys. What a resource this site is!!!!

Fans DO run while car is running.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The temp guage is notoriously inaccurate, just use it as a guide for gross changes.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
seems to be running about right...but just "burp" it just in case...I guess Vipers are like new born babies...they need to get burped once in a while, especially after a good meal... :D

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the new purchase! I recently purchased a 95 and couldn't be happier. Post some pics!!!!

I need to look into the burp thing also, I've never heard of it before now.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the new purchase! I recently purchased a 95 and couldn't be happier. Post some pics!!!!

I need to look into the burp thing also, I've never heard of it before now.

If she is not running warm, then don't worry about it...but, you should look it up just in case so you become familiar with it and if it ever happens, you don't have to scramble looking for it on the board...(I used to do that...LOL)

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
fdjake, congrats on your '95 RT~! (WHAT COLOR? Post pics!) Send your VIN# to the moderators to upgrade yourself to VIPER OWNER (moderators are: kcobean/citysnake/big-n-italian/lee00blacksilvergts)...and if you join the VCA now you get the rest of this year thrown in with next year's membership....call 1-800-998-1110! Where are you located? As JonB said, once you're a VCA Member, you can use the How-To section. WELCOME!!! ~juli

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine definitely runs warm, as I've experienced the same types of temperature ranges on the gauge that jake described.

I can't find anything while searching for "burp" though, does anyone know the name of the how to?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Mine definitely runs warm, as I've experienced the same types of temperature ranges on the gauge that jake described. I can't find anything while searching for "burp" though, does anyone know the name of the how to?

It used to be titled "Running Hot?" Or some such. It came over from the pre-1997 Board! You can call me if you like.....number below. Have a note pad, and be WITH your car. Not Monday Mornings !!!

If your coolant is 25% LOW, the temp sensor may not even be immersed in coolant! This can give you wide swings, and false readings. Your motor MUST be burped of air. This is a problem on 92-02 Vipers because the RADIATOR is well below the MOTOR. {Thats why there is NO radiator cap 94-02 radiators..... we 92-93 owners learned the HARD way! Critical NOTE: 92-93 IS DONE DIFFERENTLY. Call me....}

Any coolant that departs normally over time leaves behind hot air. Hot air expands, whereas hot water does not. The expanding air purges even MORE coolant, and the ugly cycle toward a warped head or blown gaskets begins........

Last edited:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the Viper Nation!!

You are going to love it here!!

And please do post pics!!:2tu:

Robert

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to Jon B Monday afternoon about this potential low coolant issue on mine. I got an incredible education on the various components of the cooling system. I am now aware of the hidden tank in the front fender, which I found today and mine was empty. So now I'm planning to add fluid, burp my system, and get it properly functioning again.

Thanks for all the help Jon!!!!

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
forget the car colors poll (colours) for my Canadian brothers:)

We need a new poll on who knows more about Vipers.

Jon B. or Chuck Tator? lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62