Newb here..... a very good day in Tomball TX

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday, I had our new to us '03 Viper SRT/10 vert base lined serviced. We purchased the car last July with 2,200 on the clock, and have no service history. All we know is the battery is after market, and there were no outstanding TSB's. 5,300 miles on the clock now.

I met Bernie Katz and Morgan the viper tech.....really good guys and very knowledgable :2tu:

So this is what was done: in the order Morgan ranked them

1) Oil/Filter change: Mobil 1 synthetic 10w/30
2) Transmission fluid change: Castro Syntorq LT 75w/85
3) Rear Diff. fluid change: Mopar Synthetic Gear & Axle 75w/140
4) Brake fluid change: with vacuum drew old fluid from 2 points on each caliper until clear. Dot 3 since we don't track yet, will go dot 4 when SS lines are installed next time.
($199.00 for SS lines and $450.00 install would have put me over budget, and not as important as new tires)

5) Clutch fluid change, emptied and wiped the res. clean, with vacuum drew old fluid from clutch slave cylinder until clear.
6) Radiator flush with new 5 year coolant. Ran water through a running car until clear water came from radiator drain, then drained completely and re-filled.
7) New fuel filter.....Unfortunately, did not have one in stock

In addition, Morgan checked all under hood rubber, motor mounts, hoses, belts, all looked new. He added injector cleaner to the gas tank and then un-plugged the fuel source and ran pressurized injector cleaner through the fuel rails and injectors until the motor quit, followed by a throttle body cleaning. He re-flashed my PCM and said all was up to date. Also, lubed upper and lower ball joints.

Thank you Morgan :) for putting up with the "what's that"..."what does that do" questions, I put you through while working.....this went on from 8 am to 5 pm when I left.

The only problem noted was a small oil pan gasket leak, didn't have that in stock either. So I do plan to go back after the first of the year to get the fuel filter and oil pan gasket replaced, and while there will get my power steering fluid changed.

Next on the list are new shoes..... currently running 18.03 ZP's :omg:

Experts...... Have I forgotten anything :confused:

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tires are more important than everything else you did today IMO.

Air filter check? Install a battery tender?

Good job on getting the rest of it done!

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at Tomball today getting the new Mopar ECU installed. First meeting with Morgan, Bernie and Tabatha. All great people and excellent service.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats on adding mileage :2tu:

......6) Radiator flush with new 5 year coolant. Ran water through a running car until clear water came from radiator drain, then drained completely and re-filled.......

hose water or distilled :eater:

(does this really matter or not :dunno: )

OP
OP
S

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tires are more important than everything else you did today IMO.

Air filter check? Install a battery tender?

Good job on getting the rest of it done!

tires would be first on my list

Thanks guys, the decision was a tuff one, I had a grand burning a hole in my pocket and didn't even know if the oil had ever been changed. If, I had 2 grand, tires would have been first. I'll have new tires before the next oil change is due.

We've learned through this forum and by driving the car... a very healthy respect for the shear power available. Add to that original tires, we've found it's more about controlling the torque between your ears, thats applied through the foot. In the meantime, I sure hope I don't end up being "that guy" :rolleyes:

OP
OP
S

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, you would want to use distilled water to prevent corrosion in the radiator from tap water.

Morgan flushed it using an 80 PSI garden hose (tap water) then drained. He re-filled from pre-filled anti-freeze containers (water), I didn't think to ask it that was distilled.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang