Newbe has GenIII questions

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, I been reading all the history of the Viper for shopping purposes. I am thinking Gen III because of the increased HP and newer mods. I drive my cars -they are not trailer queens by any means. I am big - 6'1" 280. I want it dependable and not a rattle box (my dad drives dodge trucks and they are rattle boxes). I know the Viper is hand built so I assume it is, and stays tight?

I have been looking at prices and they vary a lot it seems on like model years with comparable mileage. I am not talking one with mods as compared to one without. I thought these all came rigged out about the same so what is the difference? Which ones are more collectible? Again, I am not one to dwell on collectibility, I am looking for a good reliable stock unit to do my own mods and drive the heck out of.

Any word of wisdom about the cars themselves that I can't seem to find in the history columns? Any help is appreciated.

Bruce

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is your car. Collectibility might be too early to tell on these cars. The VCA edition cars are probably going to do very well. I am a mamba & copperhead fan myself. However as a driver, it is not really going to matter much as you are already aware.

The Viper is very reliable and provides outstanding performance. Drive!

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They only make about 2k Vipers per year so I think they'll all be collectibles someday. Own the one you love.

As far as rattle boxes, these Vipers are rock solid. All hand build by people with pride and it shows.

OP
OP
R

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another question I thought of last night. Since 2003 was the first year for GEN III, did it have some bugs that had to be worked out and were resolved in 2004. I am asking this because I bought a 2002 BMW 745 - first year for the new design - had hell with it till they worked out all the software issues - great car after that but I always wished I had waited another year. Any issues like this with the GEN III?

Thanks for your input - I am invlved with a lot of car forums and can already see this one is like my others - great bunch of folks!

Bruce

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another question I thought of last night. Since 2003 was the first year for GEN III, did it have some bugs that had to be worked out and were resolved in 2004. I am asking this because I bought a 2002 BMW 745 - first year for the new design - had hell with it till they worked out all the software issues - great car after that but I always wished I had waited another year. Any issues like this with the GEN III?

Thanks for your input - I am invlved with a lot of car forums and can already see this one is like my others - great bunch of folks!

Bruce

I have a 2003 and have had only one recall and that was for the headlight reflash problem that caused the lights to flicker on and off. Other than that I have had zero issues even with all the mods done to the car. Our test car has over 15,000 miles on it and it is still rock solid! I prefer the 2003 model as the suspenssion is stiffer than the 2004 and later cars that I have driven. Buy the car and color you want, not the car that you think will be worth the most in 20 years from now.

Below is the web site from DC where you can plug in the VIN Number of any viper you are considering of buying to see what recalls and services have been performed. Recalls are not year to year but depend on the build date as DC makes running changes to the Viper as they are being built.

http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodg...rm%28%27R%27%29

OP
OP
R

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks a lot - yea I am giving very little consideration to worth down the road, I will choose what I want to drive. I have had a lot of cars, but never a black one so I am thinking black, but the silver is very nice also!!

All great info!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think 2003 had a recall on valves or lifters or something like that. They were down on hp and the recall fixed it.

If you track it you should search on a starvation problem with one of the cylinders.

FWIW my 98 has over 100K and no major issues. My 97 has 45K more than half of which are track miles and the only major issue I had was losing 5th on the backstretch at Sebring. Original stock clutches on both. These cars are unbelievably bulletproof if you know how to take care of them.

03gobluecobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think 2003 had a recall on valves or lifters or something like that. They were down on hp and the recall fixed it.

If you track it you should search on a starvation problem with one of the cylinders.

FWIW my 98 has over 100K and no major issues. My 97 has 45K more than half of which are track miles and the only major issue I had was losing 5th on the backstretch at Sebring. Original stock clutches on both. These cars are unbelievably bulletproof if you know how to take care of them.

Wow, that's a lot of miles. Especially on a stock clutch!

After that many miles, how does the car do with rattles?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The RT/10 doesn't rattle but then, I almost never have the top on it.
The GTS might rattle but I can't hear it over the exhaust.

These cars are hot, noisy, obnoxious and fun. They are NOT luxury cars. Be sure it's what you really want before you get one.

OP
OP
R

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck - I am with you, but I was hoping the A/C works! My major play toy for the last few years is a 66 AC Cobra - no top, no power steering/brakes, loud as heck I MEAN LOUD, clutch is hard to push (even with hydraulics - but it has to hold 580hp)rock and roll cam, smell like exhaust ALL THE TIME - but I love it and not getting rid of it for nothin!!! I know about brutal cars!

I plan on driving top down most of the time also, but I was hoping it would also fit my need for something to drive when the elements (rain or extreme Texas heat) don't fit the Cobra. Noisy, obnoxious and loud I like, but when you say hot are you referring to motor overheating or the AC don't work?

I am not looking for something cushy, but you have to understand as nice as my Cobra is, it is still not much more than sitting on top a Tremec 5speed transmission with a big block Ford in front of you and Currie 9 inch behind you.

Bruce

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You asked about engine overheat or a/c problems; none to report here.
Put one of these cars in your garage...like yesterday. Great times will follow.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I plan on driving top down most of the time also, but I was hoping it would also fit my need for something to drive when the elements (rain or extreme Texas heat) don't fit the Cobra. Noisy, obnoxious and loud I like, but when you say hot are you referring to motor overheating or the AC don't work?

Bruce

I have an '04 and it has never even come close to over heating, even when sitting in bumper to bumber traffic for 2 hours in 100 degree heat. I have also tracked the car in 96 dgree heat with no over heating what so ever. When ownwers refer to thier Vipers as being "hot", they mean the interior. Because of the exhaust design and the position of the engine (sits far back to promote neutral handling), a lot of engine & exhast heat finds its way into the car. However, at least on Gen 3s, the air conditioning works quite well, so not a major problem.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow, that's a lot of miles. Especially on a stock clutch!

After that many miles, how does the car do with rattles?

Some 2003 vipers had problems with the valves but not all. My 2003 was not one of them. When it comes to recalls and TSB's on Vipers you have to go by the year and the build date to determine if your viper is affected. As far as having over 100,000 miles on a stock clutch, when I talked to Chuck Tator last week, he said he has seen vipers go 108,000 miles with no clutch or engine problems if you treat the clutch right and do not beat on it. He says the stock clutch is the only way to go and is the only clutch package he recommends.

OP
OP
R

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great responces guys!!! I really appreciate it. It means so much to a newbie like me to get real answers, not staged answers from the manufacturers! I have learned to do this on all my major purchases - I buy VERY FEW brand new cars, because there is no real feedback available.

Thanks for helping me through this - every day and every question gets me a little closer to having one of these.

The market seems pretty soft right now for all hot rods. I follow the selling price on all "special" cars I own and I can say I would not sell any of mine for the price they are going for on the market. I have not decided exactly what Viper I want yet, but am watching quite a few. Maybe I will get lucky and find some with a real cherry that realized they are selling a little cheaper right now.

Thanks again,
Bruce