no tow rig?

BillionDollarDan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey guys i'd like to track the viper sometime but i don't have a tow rig. i'm a novice and i don't expect to destroy the car driving slowly, but i'm wondering what experience any of you have with driving to the track and then driving home.

is it a dumb idea? should i just scrounge up some dough and buy a tow rig?

OP
OP
B

BillionDollarDan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
tow rig it is, huh? well i guess i can try to beg my wife to let me put a hemi in the wrangler lol. a 3.8L v6 sure doesn't cut it

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I expect delivery on one of these in the next few weeks. I have done nine track events the last few years driving to the track and back. (I have Texas World and MSR-Houston both within a few hours). I didn't have any problems but also had to cut a few days short due to tire wear and knowing I had to get home. I decided to start towing so I could haul more tools and an extra set of tires. I like the rollback due to ease of loading and I can tow it with my wife's '09 Expedition.

Good luck. :2tu:

OP
OP
B

BillionDollarDan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I expect delivery on one of these in the next few weeks. I have done nine track events the last few years driving to the track and back. (I have Texas World and MSR-Houston both within a few hours). I didn't have any problems but also had to cut a few days short due to tire wear and knowing I had to get home. I decided to start towing so I could haul more tools and an extra set of tires. I like the rollback due to ease of loading and I can tow it with my wife's '09 Expedition.

Good luck. :2tu:

thanks for the info. how far away were is the track you drive to? the mid ohio is about 2.5 hours from my house...

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Texas World Speedway is 69 miles from home. MSR-Houston is 73. MSR takes 1.5 hours due to being on the other side of Houston. I borrowed a friend's trailer to run Harris Hill about 2 hours from here and felt much better having the trailer in case I had issues while at the track.

I have several friends with the "Texas rollback" or "Sloan Quickload" trailer. If you get one, get the 20ft. Both people I know that got the 18 either have problems with clearance on slightly lowered cars or wish they had the extra length to strap other things down.

I ordered one with a tire rack. They come in steel and aluminum.

Last edited:

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love mid-Ohio. I ran that track in a 3000GT VR-4 I modded back when I was in Columbus for graduate school. Oh the days of eating PB and J's to save money for tires and brake fluid! Sure miss the large course with chicane they ran in the spring when I was at OSU.

How often do you run in Lexington?

OP
OP
B

BillionDollarDan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i've never been there. my buddy wants me to go with him. he's tagging along with the porsche club in his audi. i just didn't know if i'd be able to make it there and back without a problem if i had to drive.

it's good to see what trailer to buy. now i have to figure out whether i can tow with the grand cherokee and if not how i can get a 5.7l into my wrangler. who knows lol. i just had the worst business meeting of my life. one owner of the practice i've just about closed on tried to ambush renegotiate the sale. so all of my plans may be on hold anyway... his douchebaggery tops the list for this week

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, the vast majority of folks drive to the track, driving your car has the obvious downsides of a wreck or mechanical issue and how to get home. Not so obvious may be cording or cutting a tire whether stock or something like a Kuhmo. I've done a dozen events in the last few years and drive on average 120 miles each way on shaved Kuhmo's. finally decided to buy a used featherlite. Now I can run on Hoosiers and bring spares as well as not worry on how to get back if I have an issue. Downside, besides costs for trailer and rig, 50% longer drive, can't caravan at 90 plus with my buddies. If you have or can use a tow vehicle in the family then go out and get a trailer if you plan on tracking more than once or twice a year. Also, I got a used featherlite from a guy who towed a 911 with a V-6 Honda pilot, my trailer and viper weigh less than 5K and makes for lot's of tow vehicle options. good luck, Mike

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If you go with the Kwik Load, get your front tie down straps from Mac's Custom Tie Downs.

They should be 32" long with C clamps on one end and "T" hooks on the other. "T" hooks fit in slots on fame rails.

They have to be custom made.

Vipers are too low for rachet-type tie downs up front.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the casual racers drive their Vipers to and from the track. That is one of the great strengths of the Viper.

If you wish to push your envelope, or remove your street tires for dedicated track tires, having a tow rig is also a great way to go.

Here again, don't push the envelope, Get a well built trailer, with extra room for stuff and a powerful tow rig with some weight behind it.

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i've never been there. my buddy wants me to go with him. he's tagging along with the porsche club in his audi. i just didn't know if i'd be able to make it there and back without a problem if i had to drive.

one owner of the practice i've just about closed on tried to ambush renegotiate the sale. so all of my plans may be on hold anyway... his douchebaggery tops the list for this week

First, drive to the track and back for your first weekend. You'll be fine. I wouldn't recommend the expense of a trailer until you know you will do it a lot and want to get more specific/******** with your setup. I can pack almost everything I'd need for a typical track weekend in the back of my GTS or ACR if I'm running PS2 or Kuhmo V700s. I'd run a few weekends and get into it before deciding it's worth the expense.

Second, I've bought 2 optometry practices in the last 5 years.....I feel your fustration dude. Good Luck.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been driving 5 hrs back and forth to mid oh for 6 hrs now. I run about 12 weekends each year
I am on PS2s. Most everyone in my run group is on racetires. I am not the fastest by any means but I also have never gone off and I rarely if every drive 10/10th's. I had a 'john deere' experience last Oct for mechanical failure (belt blew on the back straight and I lost brakes/steering)....I drove through it and nothing was damaged, car just wouldn't run. I got lucky and had a friend tow my Viper.

I personally like driving home but if you don't mind trailering and wanna run racetires then do it for sure. The porsche guys say when they run racetires they go threw brakes 3x's as fast, but I am not sure if that's just porsches.

A couple of guys from here ran with me at MO last weekend, we are gonna be there May 14-16 next.
three_vipers_at_mid_oh.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BillionDollarDan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
wow thanks for the great responses here. i don't need to run race tires since i've never even been to a track. i wouldn't know what to do with them lol.

and hey smokin' it's good to know i have some to commiserate with on the practice. this is my second but i kinda expected it to go as smoothly as the first. that was foolish i guess

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth