Noises in steering and clutch

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a previous post I mentioned I had a noise in my steering. When turning (usually only when the car is cold) there is a 'catch' and a 'bump' in the steering wheel and you can hear a semi-whine from the power steering lines when it happens. Almost like there is air in the lines. Now I am hearing a similar noise coming from the hydraulic throw out bearing when I come off the clutch. It doesn't do it every time, and only happens when starting from a stop in 1st gear. It's also only when I release the clutch and almost right at the top as it engages. It's not transmission related, it's definitely coming from the TOB/clutch area. Doesn't the TOB and the power steering use the same pump? Is this an indication something is about to go? PS pump/hose maybe sucking air or about to go/air in the system that isn't bleeding like it should? :dunno:

Can anybody give me an opinion as to what I need to start paying attention to, because everything looks normal and the fluid is new with a system flush when they replaced the tranny. There are no leaks but there is some very minor seepage at some of the hose connections. I'm wondering if it is a common occurrence that somebody else has experienced before.

Thanks,

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The "pump" the operates the slave cylinder is the clutch master cylinder...powered by your left foot. The power steering pump does do double duty...power steering and cooling fans. Suggest you have competent tech check your car.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The power steering pump powers the electric cooling fans?

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did not know that. Whats the pros to a hydraulic cooling fan over an electric one, seems like the pump would eat up horse power over electric fan.

OP
OP
C

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew the pump served double duty. Being the TOB was hydrauluc I assumed that was the '2nd' duty. So the TOB has a built in slave cylinder? Or is there a clutch MC, slave, and hydraulic unit on the TOB working all together?? Usually the slave is mounted remote from the TOB.

Anyway, I will have it checked. I thought everything it needed as far as recalls was done while it was in for the tranny. At least they said it was. I will check it out and post back.

Thanks,

OP
OP
C

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW, just so im more knowledgeable going in, what is the purpose of the cooling module recall? And do you have the recall number? So they dont try to fugaboo me when I take it in (that's a word in south La...look it up)!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Date: 2003-11-01 Bulletin #: C31
Compenent: 062200 ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:COOLING SYSTEM:FAN
CUSTOMER SATISFACTION NOTIFICATION NO. C31 - COOLING FAN MODULE. A CHECK BALL RETAINER IN THE COOLING FAN MODULE MAY BECOME DISLODGED. *TT

Note: IF the above mentioned "ball" becomes dislodged, it can cause failure of the steering rack. About 1300 of the 2003 Vipers were covered by this recall. You can read the whole deal here:
http://viperclub.org/howto/service-bulletins/pdf/RC_C3103.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I checked out everything under the hood this weekend. I definitely have the hydraulic fan, which still amazes me that engineering had a brain fart that day. Has anybody ever heard of upgrading that to block off the hyd lines to the fan and replacing it with an electric unit? Seems like that would free up a little hp and not make the pump work so hard. But then again, if the pump is designed to flow with those components then blocking it off may create too much pressure in the remaining system. Pump curves can be a tedious thing...

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I checked out everything under the hood this weekend. I definitely have the hydraulic fan, which still amazes me that engineering had a brain fart that day. .
Brain fart??????? Search out the multitude of posts there are about overheating problems on Gen II with electric fans, versus a tiny amount on the Gen 3 with hydraulic fans. They move a LOT more air.

OP
OP
C

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, but with the known hose failure problems, now you don't have the option of driving the car to a safer location with 'manual steering' because the engine is overheating as well since the steering AND the fan is out. I'm not saying the hyd fan in itself is a bad idea...but tying it in to the power steering unit????:nono: