Not sure Headers will give me much! please read and give opinions

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
as you guys can see in my sig. I dyno'd with smooth tubes, sb filters, borla cat back, and nothing else done to the car. never had it pulled with the nos or cats gone with these numbers iam posting just whats stated above. my car pulled 3times on the dyno. first pull yielded-425.4rwhp- 479.8 torque. 2ndpull yielded 436.3rwhp and 480.2 torque. and the final 3rd pull went up again to 442.2 rwhp and 488 torque. i couldnt believe how it kept getting better and better as the car warmed up. dyno guy there said oh its climbing each pull cause your motor is loosing up. is that bs or what! i bet it had more in it considering theway it jumped each pull.but only got 3 pulls, it was a dyno day so... my car seems to compare to other forged vipers very well. i compared these numbers on the last pass to be in most cases as high as others that also have rockers and headers on me. most guys with my mods and headers and rockers, which is a very popular setup, have only 460 ponies at the wheels. do i own a freak . i cant see dumping 2000 into the car if headers would only yield me 5-10 horse. and rockers too. what do you guys think.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well they say the non creampuffs pull harder and gain just a little bit more from some mods.

Perfect example look at me and dimitrios,the same mods as a matter of fact he has headers and cat back which I don't and just because his is a creampuff look at the HP/TQ diffrence, even tho he has more mods.

OP
OP
V

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
dont take this the wrong way stugots, your numbers are unbelievable. pulling those number with no exhaust mods!!!! and i also thought that the bigger throttle bodies were a waste unless you went forced induction. many have stated little or no gains with the 70mm bodies. if this is true, the jessels gave you 60 some rear wheel ponies. maybe your car is the freak hear. lol-josh. dimitrios is one of the guys i looked at when refering to my post. your right...

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no the rockers did not give me the best "bang for my buck" the VEC 2 did tuned by the man Chuck Tator himself.

its not really that great of gains my car had a little over 430 RWHP Stock so the mods diden't do tooo much, 35 RWHP from rockers/tubes/VEC2/filters and TB's.

BTW I did notice a small gain from the TB's.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
**** if my car is an over a freak im not gonna complain.

Besides everytime I get it back from Chuck it feels like it pulls alot harder.

OP
OP
V

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
didnt see the vec 2 in your sig. i take it back. seems odd many will gain almost 20-25 off the vec2 alone. on a stock motor by trimming fuel, timing altering ... so if you were 430 stock (seems high), and got 20 minimum from the vec2 then you you only picked up 15 ponies from the filters, throttle bodies, and rockers, seems low when you look at it my way. but great torque figures. what is your airfuel like on the dyno.

OP
OP
V

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if you agree with my figures do you think it was worth the money for the throttlebodies and essels. i am sure if i was going for BIG numbers like 700-900 to the wheels these are staple mods. maybe you are building the car to have more power soon... did i meet you at englistown a few months ago, when like 6 of us went and several were racing including some guy with the heffner twin turbo final edition. i had the red gts with nos parked in the rear of the pack, walking around with my wife.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled similar numbers when my car was stock, and I didn't get much from headers, no cats, and a full 3" exhaust. 436/490 were my bone stock numbers, and now I'm at 460/490 if my memory serves me right. I'm up 20hp or so from stock, and the torque is about the same, which is not too impressive for $3k! Oh well, car runs good!

OP
OP
V

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
carrot you nx kit kicks ass. i have on in my gts as well but the traditional nozzle setup in the smooth tubes. what year is your acr?

glenn hofstetter

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Every Viper I've seen on a dyno registers less power with each pull after warm up. Last weekend we did a dyno days for 26 Vipers and all lost power when the coolant went above 200 degrees. In many cases 20 RHP was lost from 200 degrees to 220 degrees. What was the temperature when you did your pulls of both the car and the outside air? If the outside was cold and if the dyno was not adjusted for the lower temp your RHP would be overstated.As stock as your are I'd forget the headers unless you go to a supercharger

OP
OP
V

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
glen it was super cold outside. like only 30 degrees F so it may have been too cold, plus the car didnt warm up until the third pull really. this could be why it was gaining powere on the dyno. anyhow talk to me next year about the car and how stock it ISN'T. thanks. josh

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys its all in the dyno.

No Gen2 Viper can make 430 stock, not oven the magic 96 or 97's. Gen 2's pull 396-404, I have seen 1 pull like 406. Numbers far off from that are generated using wrong correction factor.

v10kingsnake,

You may see worth while gains with headers and rockers if you use an AEM unit or maybe a Vec2 in conjunction with them.

I can tell you from experience you will see significant gains with an AEM unit with your current mods. Headers/rockers/tunning? May be worth 500rwhp on a gen 2, but it has not been tried yet.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every Viper I've seen on a dyno registers less power with each pull after warm up. Last weekend we did a dyno days for 26 Vipers and all lost power when the coolant went above 200 degrees. In many cases 20 RHP was lost from 200 degrees to 220 degrees. What was the temperature when you did your pulls of both the car and the outside air? If the outside was cold and if the dyno was not adjusted for the lower temp your RHP would be overstated.As stock as your are I'd forget the headers unless you go to a supercharger

Mine does the same thing. Every time! Gets better after each pull.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No Gen2 Viper can make 430 stock, not oven the magic 96 or 97's. Gen 2's pull 396-404, I have seen 1 pull like 406. Numbers far off from that are generated using wrong correction factor.

v10kingsnake,

You may see worth while gains with headers and rockers if you use an AEM unit or maybe a Vec2 in conjunction with them.

I can tell you from experience you will see significant gains with an AEM unit with your current mods. Headers/rockers/tunning? May be worth 500rwhp on a gen 2, but it has not been tried yet.

I've had my car on four dynos, and the readings have been pretty close every time. I think you're wrong.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have the Dyno around here somewhere from my bone stock 99 RT and it pulled in the 430's and as a matter of fact the filters were dirty because 3 weeks later when I changed them to S&B they were terrible.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

v10kingsnake,

I've had my car on four dynos, and the readings have been pretty close every time. I think you're wrong.

I have witnessed hundreds of vipers dynoed, different dynos, different days. The only time 430 was ever even close was at say we say a special place that made all its customers very happy. Unfortunatly several of its customers have also taken their cars else where and found out they lost the magic 30rwhp beans somewhere between the two.

Any time you are in Cali let me know, will be glad to prove you wrong.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure, let me take my car to Cali so I can dyno it. Great plan! How do you know that the ones that you were on weren't wrong? The dyno that I regularly use is accurate. I've had several cars on their dyno, and some disappoint, some don't! My car was also faster than most every stock Viper I've seen. Must have been a faulty track too, huh? I can't help the fact that you have a weak car.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BigCarrot,

As I said before been there done that, believe what you want.

Your car being faster is your driving, vipers can run 13.5's to 11's depending on drivers.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BigCarrot,

Your car being faster is your driving, vipers can run 13.5's to 11's depending on drivers.

Let me get this straight, the only accurate dynos are the ones that RussM visits? Tuners across the country are fooling customers? You can't seriously believe that, can you? Sure, I can drive, but some cars make more power than others! Contrary to your belief, they are not all created equally! My last Viper DID dyno at 412 or so, but this one did a little better. This one does a little better in the 1/4 too! Coinkydink? I think not! Maybe it's a Wednesday car....

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dyno'd my car 2 days after I got it and it was bone stock and had a hair over 430 at the wheels.

I spoke with quite a few of the best tuners and all seem to agree 420ish is common for non creampuffs.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BigCarrot,

Let me get this straight, the only accurate dynos are the ones that RussM visits? Tuners across the country are fooling customers? You can't seriously believe that, can you? Sure, I can drive, but some cars make more power than others! Contrary to your belief, they are not all created equally! My last Viper DID dyno at 412 or so, but this one did a little better. This one does a little better in the 1/4 too! Coinkydink? I think not! Maybe it's a Wednesday car....

Its not about the dyno's near me its about the ones I know give factual numbers. The one you got 430 on is off, about 30 rwhp.

How do I know this? Simple, just go to a viper dyno day where there are say 30-40 vipers and look at the numbers. Been to 1/2 dozen of these.

More proof? Ok, look around the forums at the numbers people are pulling. If it sounds to good to be true, it is.

Last proof I have been to a supra dyno day in Texas, MTI to be exact. Two nights before the car was tuned on another dyno and made 440rwhp(NOT VIPER). Came off the trailer made 3 dyno pulls at MTI 510rwhp, NO ADJUSTMENTS MADE.

Dyno's lie, believe what you want.

OP
OP
V

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
russ, you have been sucking down the california smog too long. and the cars out by you dyno bad cause the gas *****. my car trapped 199 stock in the quater, look at any dyno calculator and type in the weight et and speed to get a rough estimate of rwhp. funny 440 just like my stock 442 dyno. also after putting on 150 shot the car dyno'd 600. maybe the 150 shot gave me 200 instead huh. NO. why dont you bring your car to the east, and put some real gas in it then tear off all your restrictive cali emmisions equiptment and make the car happier. then you wont have to be so made at other TRUTHFUL viper owners here. next time i drive my car 3000 miles i will be sure to stop by your dyno and knock the dust off the barrel for you.

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
v10snake...

Obviously, there is no way in high he!! your car did 199 traps stock. If so that's a hell of a 7-8 second 1/4.

:)

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
v10kingsnake, even though your post up there made very little sense, you sided with me, so I'll let that one slide. ;)