Noticeable clunk when tapping gas pedal during decel.

Jc121285

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So ive noticed this noticeable clunk under car when "tapping" or "goosing" the throttle more so while "engine braking". Feels like too much backlash in rear diff, or possibly trans mount failing? Of course this is a premature post as I have not yet taken the time to put the car on my lift and look around
yet. But curious if there is any known issues that you guys have come across as to steer me in the right direction when I do get a chance to look into it.

2000 RT/10 15,000 miles on her roughly.
Thanks in advance

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is play in the driveline and that is what you might be experiencing. If it seems unusually long or loud, you might have a problem.

OP
OP
Jc121285

Jc121285

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not unusually loud and no other accompanying sounds. Any idea where in the drive line the play is? The rear diff?

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any sprung clutch is designed to have play in it, hence the springs.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you are hearing the U-joint where driveshaft meets the rear end. You probably want to have looked at as depending on the mileage you may have excessive play in one of the U-joints. There will be some clunking from time to time due to short wheelbase though. How many miles are on your car?

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you are hearing the U-joint where driveshaft meets the rear end. You probably want to have looked at as depending on the mileage you may have excessive play in one of the U-joints. There will be some clunking from time to time due to short wheelbase though. How many miles are on your car?

He said 15k roughly lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper