Oddball question

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok I figured this would be the best forum section to ask since tuners probably don't look in Driven very often.
My car comes stock with a small turbo and I think I located the culprit of a boost issue but need to ask if it's the right one. Decided to disconnect the vacuum hose to the waste gate actuator last week and presto, 0,9 bar constant pressure that used to only pop up as overboost with 0,7 bar constant.

Conclusion: deceased wastegate actuator or Amal valve (which is also a determining factor in boost control)?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wastegate actuator should be spring and/or manual controlled as well as vacuum/boost. Manifold to boost controller hose should make 7psi. Remove the hose and the spring should make full boost (21+ on Turbo 2, 2.2 Dodge) if my memory serves me correctly.

Boost can be adjusted by shortening or lengthening the activation rod from the controller to the wastegate. Some wastegate controllers come fa ctory with adjustable length arms. Some wastegate controllers are different sizes and the size of the diaphram also make a difference in boost control because of the pressure operating on different area diaphrams (boost is pounds Per Square Inch).

If you want instructions on build a manual boost controller for about $10 send me a PM.

Ted
Ted

OP
OP
I

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my engine it is spring and vacuum/boost controlled through an Amal valve. The thing is it should make 10-ish psi stock but instead 7 shows up on my gauge. Tried to adjust the activation rod nuts but that did not bring any noticable result.
Underneath the manifold and to the right of the intake hose you see the actuator diaphram and rod going to the waste gate itself:

You must be registered for see images attach

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Donovan's Dodge Garage

Click Turbo database then click 18. Boost Controller central

With the Turbo dodges everything has been scienced out. The Dodge engineers "took their work home with them" and then built internet pages to let all of us Moapr fanatics how to build 12 second minvans and low 12 sec cars for under a thousand bucks. Chrysler used to sell a Turbo upgrad kit for $2600 that would produce 312bhp with ease. Added to the 2200 pound Chargers and GLHs these cars were amazing.

I'd say that if your car produces 11psi stock then your computer and fuel systems should be good for 16psi? Using the info on the link you can build a manual boost controller and up the boost to about 14psi. 3# of boost should be about 30bhp or so. Stock computers shut the engine down before the fuel system reaches it's limit. If spiking hits overboost, lower the boost pressure a touch.

Have fun, I did.

Ted

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper