Oil blowing out of Blow-off Valves

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive the car & when I get into boost to activate blow off valves I have oil blowing on the engine from them??? Anyone have any ideas? I thought only air was supposed to be going thru them? :confused:

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be several things.

Most likely is your turbo's. I dont know how the [******] setup is like but if you have scavange pumps they may not be doing their job. Or the seals in one or both turbo's may be leaking into your compressor.

It could also be that your crank case vents into your pipping which could mean rings going bad.

We would need some more information, to begin with is your breather setup to return into the motor, and are you using scavange pumps to **** oil from the turbo's. Might as well tell us how many miles are on the setup.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes probably turbo seals, I dont think he has scavenge pumps. If so that is easay enought to check. I little oil fim is ok, but if you actually have oil pumping out that is not good. You should not run the car eather as oil in the intake will promote detination. You will now need to clean out your innercooler and tubing also. Do you have a check valve in the oil feed line? Too much oil pressure will blow past the turbo seals. Does the car smoke?

OP
OP
V

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes probably turbo seals, I dont think he has scavenge pumps. If so that is easay enought to check. I little oil fim is ok, but if you actually have oil pumping out that is not good. You should not run the car eather as oil in the intake will promote detination. You will now need to clean out your innercooler and tubing also. Do you have a check valve in the oil feed line? Too much oil pressure will blow past the turbo seals. Does the car smoke?
If you mean white smoke, none at all. Blows black smoke when I get on it. No check valve. Oil feed line to where?

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like it's time to have both turbos gone through and get some new seals installed. If it has scavenge pumps double check them, but regardless if a turbo seal is leaking (for whatever reason) it needs to be replaced.

As was already stated after you fix the leak issue, you MUST clean the oil out of all the cold side pipes, intake manifold etc.

And DO NOT drive the car till you figure this out. Oil in the intake will cause it to detonate and destroy the motor.

But hey now you have a good reason to ditch the puny turbos and step it up :headbang:

Oh and the black smoke is perfectly normal on a catless high hp car. It's just the byproduct of a lot of fuel, no worries there.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie- white smoke is oil buring, black is a rich condition. There should be a .035 restrictor in the oil feed line to the turbo if the oil feed is coming from the top of the motor. Vipers seem to have high oil presssure. Probably the oil feed is t'd off the sending unit port for your oil pressire light. That sees 50-60 lbs pressure. Too much for a turbo seal. If you are not getting white smoke however I would not worry too much. A little oil out the blow off is normal on a turbo car. If you have scavenge pumps and they were faulty you would see alot of white smoke. Do on the turbomustang.com forum and do some searchs on oil restristors.

KMODStang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
White smoke = head gasket/water/coolant
Blueish Smoke = Oil (piston ring usually)
Black = Fuel/Rich tune (normal for turbo cars)

If there is enough oil that you are noticing it on the engine, It should be an area of concern. If it is enough to be coming out of your BOV, it is enough to be getting into the intake manifold. That can cause a lot of damage and will drasticly effect performance.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
White smoke = head gasket/water/coolant
Blueish Smoke = Oil (piston ring usually)
Black = Fuel/Rich tune (normal for turbo cars)

If there is enough oil that you are noticing it on the engine, It should be an area of concern. If it is enough to be coming out of your BOV, it is enough to be getting into the intake manifold. That can cause a lot of damage and will drasticly effect performance.
I agrre on theory-but did you ever own a turbo car? A little oil is norma, you are correct if you can see oil buring then you have problems, no such thing as white smoke for a headgasket-it would be white steam and smell very sweet. Smoke is from buring and will only be oil or gas.

OP
OP
V

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, the oil's only coming out of one BOV. The driver's side. So maybe tomorrow I'll take off the hose from the turbo and intercooler hose to check for oil. Maybe it's just the driver turbo seal gone? Thanks for all the input though!

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, the oil's only coming out of one BOV. The driver's side. So maybe tomorrow I'll take off the hose from the turbo and intercooler hose to check for oil. Maybe it's just the driver turbo seal gone? Thanks for all the input though!

Sounds like it,

You still have not answered my question though is your breather hooked back into your plumbing?

The answer will tell me if you possibly have an engine problem rather than turbo.

btw.. How much oil are we talking about?

KMODStang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agrre on theory-but did you ever own a turbo car? A little oil is norma, you are correct if you can see oil buring then you have problems, no such thing as white smoke for a headgasket-it would be white steam and smell very sweet. Smoke is from buring and will only be oil or gas.

I used to run a performance shop and we built custom turbo kits. I have built several kits and the only time i have ever seen oil come out on the intake side of the turbo was on a bad turbo. And yes, you are right about the white steam, but it looks like smoke coming out of the exhaust. If it is coming out of the exhaust, you usually cannot tell the smell.

OP
OP
V

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like it,

You still have not answered my question though is your breather hooked back into your plumbing?

The answer will tell me if you possibly have an engine problem rather than turbo.

btw.. How much oil are we talking about?

[/QUOTE]

I have a catch can with on a line going to it, but alot of lines teed into it, and the can has a K&N fliter/breather on it. It's not alot of oil, I'd say maybe 1/2 teaspoon or so.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if you are saying the breathers do not run back into the pipes then you are probably looking at a bad turbo which is easy and cheap to fix.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep I agree, turbo seal. 1/2 teaspoon is not alot to worry about. I have a light film on mine, but not a measureable qty. Arent these new turbo's? If they are Turbonetics they have a 1 yr warrenty. I would first see if you have a restictor in line. Thurbos do not need a lot of oil, ant anything over 20 lbs will blow past the seal. Check with [******], if they used -3an line off the head to feed the turbos and did not use any restrictors then you will always have a problem. (trust me on this-I ran into this problem!)

OP
OP
V

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I took off the hoses/pipes on the driver side from the turbo to the intercooler. No oil! Duh!! I forgot that the passenger side turbo feeds the driver side intake & vice versa. Soooo, I took off the hose from tubo to intercooler on passenger side & got a pile of oil out of the hose. And that's the one that [******] supposedly fixed. Since I got the car back from him, I have not raced or dyno'd and barely got on it! So did he really fix it?? Well I guess I'll pull the turbo & try & find someone who fixes them. The wheel side is totally dry so it must be the other seal. I do think it's too much pressure going to the turbo. I have to seal my oil dip stick or it blows out of the stick. I even got one of those screw type adapters & it blew thru that too. So I just cap it off with a cap & clamp. I don't know if that relates to the turbo but it's still a hassle! Dan, how far are you from me? Feel like taking a ride down? Thanks for the input guys!

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I took off the hoses/pipes on the driver side from the turbo to the intercooler. No oil! Duh!! I forgot that the passenger side turbo feeds the driver side intake & vice versa. Soooo, I took off the hose from tubo to intercooler on passenger side & got a pile of oil out of the hose. And that's the one that [******] supposedly fixed. Since I got the car back from him, I have not raced or dyno'd and barely got on it! So did he really fix it?? Well I guess I'll pull the turbo & try & find someone who fixes them. The wheel side is totally dry so it must be the other seal. I do think it's too much pressure going to the turbo. I have to seal my oil dip stick or it blows out of the stick. I even got one of those screw type adapters & it blew thru that too. So I just cap it off with a cap & clamp. I don't know if that relates to the turbo but it's still a hassle! Dan, how far are you from me? Feel like taking a ride down? Thanks for the input guys!

Now this could be a problem, if you are blowing out your dip stick then you have way too much air getting past the rings, or you have a restriction in your crankcase ventilation.

Have you done a leakdown test on the motor? If not you may want to get it done so you know whats going on.

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, this is a long shot, but I came from a Twin Turbo Rx-7. The blow off valve setup has it recirculating back into the air filter box. My car used to spit out some oil via this pipe (blow off valves) leaving a pretty greasy airbox & airfilter.

According the rotary experts and mechanics, this was normal (note, the filter and airbox weren't swimming in oil...just splattered with a very thin layer of oil).

I don't know whether its normal for piston cars or not...best bet is to call whoever installed the turbos for you. Or better yet the manufacturer.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is what I was saying before about a little oil film is normal, however blow by is not good. Jamie I am about 2 hrs north of you I am coming down for Carlisie, I plan to camp out at Ed's for a couple days if you can wait unil then. Turbos will give more crank case pressure and should have a lot more venilation, if something is plugged up the air pressure will go the path of least resistance (out the dip stick!) A leakdown test would be a good idea also. If you have a set up ring or cracked piston it will show up on a leakdown test. Blow by or plugged crankcase ventilation will also give you oil out your blow off valve. But you got alot of oil out of the turbo hose, so I am thinking you need to restict the oil flow, check your venelation system,check the return pump (if you have one) clean out your innercooler and tubing, then see what happens. Oil in the pipe from the turbo to the innercooling would not be caused by engine blow by.

OP
OP
V

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, what's a leakdown test & who does them? Tomorrow I'm going to rip the turbo out of the car and get the seal fixed but I don't want to have to go thru it again. There's no doubt about the oil from the BOV, it's definately from the blown turbo seal. I hope to have the car running again before Carlisle but hopefully we can hook up around then. Thanks!

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple to do...

All you need is an air compressor and a leak down tester(you can rent them at auto parts places).

Basicly you remove plugs, put tester into each cylinder 1 at a time, make sure the cylinder is on compression cycle and hook up the compressor to the tester.

It will show you how much air is being bypassed through the rigns/valves/etc...

OP
OP
V

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds easy enough for the leak test! But check this out, I got to see the turbo's fins & they are fine but the shaft is bent. It spins in an elliptical loop rather than like an axle. How that can happen I don't know. I'm calling John up tomorrow to see if it's still under warranty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth