OK, time to do some perfromance upgrades

scubaloco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Aloha gang from Hawaii,

I've had my Vipers (04 conv and 06 coupe) for a couple of years now and joined VCA in 09 but have never posted so bear with me :baby: (BTW, you guys rock, reading all the other posts and the responses have helped me tremendously)

Reason for not posting... well, I didn't think that I had anything valuable to add, not having enough experience to put my two cents in. But now, hopefully, this would be for first timers like myself to get good input on upgrading.

I never really thought about it, yeah had thought about upgrading wheels, sounds and lowering but always thought that these things were fast enough.

So a few weeks ago, just cruising around in the 04 and it's feeling funny (CEL has been on because of the skip shift eliminator) low throttle response, smells like its running rich, and lack of power. I drive it home, get it to my mechanic buddy and come to find out there are other codes on the scanner now;

P1196: Slow switching O2 sensor bank two, sensor one during catalyst monitoring
P0175: system too rich
P0500: Vehicle speed sensor
and of course the skip shift

So now the passenger sides first cat is burnt out and plugging up the second one causing my lack of power and running rich. Buddy says its most likely caused by a spark plug wire that shows damage and that cylinder was dumping gas into the cat which caused it to burn up.

My buddy also tells me that the clutch sounds like its making noises and thinks its going to be a bearing, so what to do, what to do...

OK, now I have a reason to post, can you guys help me figure out what I need to do. This is what I was thinking:

Installing test pipes on it instead of getting another cat?
Installing Magnecor KV85 wires
Installing a new clutch, which I have no idea on what brand or stage but have thought about a supercharger later on...
And maybe coilovers and or muffler system.

I wanna be able to street and strip (more street than strip because we no longer have one) So what ya think??

Thanks in advance,
Jerry

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am considering doing what Twister mentioned here:

:lmao::lmao::lmao: That has to be the funniest thing that I have read since being a VCA member. Then I read Tweesters post and it's a good way to spend 5k if you are planning on staying NA.

It just made me spit out my drink when I read the first few words. WARNING!! Using Twister's advice could cause your motor to blow up (like his did). I'd call some of the known builders and tell them your goals and have them direct you. Dan @ VSP, Doug Levin @ DLM, Dan @ DC Performance, Sean @ Roe Racing are the ones that pop into mind.

Good luck!

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd at A&C Performance is a great guy to work with as well. Very helpful, knows his stuff and has been in the business since 2003. You can look him up on the forums here and also feel free to give him a call.. Tell him costanZo sent you. :2tu:
His Shop Phone is: 951-696-0500 and he is located in Murrieta, CA.

JonB is also a great guy who I've done business with too located in Washougal, WA. He's widely known throughout these forums and can be reached by his website: PartsRack.com Viper Parts - Home or give him a call: 360-837-3937

I've also done a lot of business with Dan at Viper Specialty located in Buffalo NY as Black Moon previously listed. You can reach him at: 716-912-5336.

Chuck Tator also known as THE VIPER WIZARD is a great guy and possibly one of the best(if not the best) Viper Tech around. He is located in South Salem, NY and can be reached at this number: 914-763-3136.

**I've done business with all four of these guys before and they are all great people to deal with. Being in the Viper community we are all very lucky to have so many options when choosing who to contact for service and buying mods.

You can't go wrong with any of these guys or the previous people Black Moon mentioned(Doug Levin @ DLM, Dan @ DC Performance, Sean @ Roe Racing), considering all of them have great knowledge on the Viper and can help you in every way.

Goodluck!

Last edited:

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which Island?

He said they don't have a track anymore so I'm going to say Oahu.

I don't know any Viper techs out there but I have a good mechanic on the island. For races he ferries his 10 second 69 Mustang to another island. PM if interested, I'll get you contact info.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what it is worth, a bad plug or plug wire will show a lean condition. The O2 sensor does not measure the unburnt fuel, only the oxygen and you will have 10% excess oxygen with one bad plug or plug wire.

OP
OP
S

scubaloco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
He said they don't have a track anymore so I'm going to say Oahu.

I don't know any Viper techs out there but I have a good mechanic on the island. For races he ferries his 10 second 69 Mustang to another island. PM if interested, I'll get you contact info.

Yes, you are correct, I am on Oahu, but I thought everyone can see that on my info under my name??

Anywho, the viper has been put on hold since I have had company for the last week, everyone that visits thinks I'm a tour guide... lol, Thank you (costanZo and Black Moon) for the contact info, I'm going to message JonB for some parts (man, Jon's name appears on more threads than I can count lol). Great to have such knowledgeable people.

BTW: NA vs supercharging? which one would be more reliable? More bang for the buck?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bang for the buck - SC
reliability = NA more likely

but its all depending on your intended use. personally i wouldnt want a NA car, i prefer SC for my use

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper