Old tires question

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Okay, looking for advice. I've read plenty of threads so no need to beat me up here.

I purchased my '97 GTS in October. It has the original tires. I was going to replace them straightaway, but the car will be garaged pretty much until spring. I didn't see a reason to put new tires on just to have them sit for a few months.

So, my question is this. If the roads are clean (no salt, ice, snow, rabbits, etc), is it safe to drive at highway speeds, meaning 65 in a 65 zone? I can exercise self-control so that isn't an issue, but would like to know what others think. TIA.

forexx4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put about 2k on 11 year old Pilot Sports. Was it smart? No. But it's not the end of the world as some make it seem. Get new tires asap but don't be scared to take it around the block as-is.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, looking for advice. I've read plenty of threads so no need to beat me up here.

I purchased my '97 GTS in October. It has the original tires. I was going to replace them straightaway, but the car will be garaged pretty much until spring. I didn't see a reason to put new tires on just to have them sit for a few months.

So, my question is this. If the roads are clean (no salt, ice, snow, rabbits, etc), is it safe to drive at highway speeds, meaning 65 in a 65 zone? I can exercise self-control so that isn't an issue, but would like to know what others think. TIA.

I don't think that anyone can really say from a scientific standpoint. All we know is that the performance is greatly less than new tires. Then you add in the additional cold factor of winter when you would want the best tires. As you probably have read, the problem is when you encounter that one, unexpected situation. Driving down the highway behind some cars, and pull out to pass and all of a sudden see a shovel sitting on the center stripe right in front of you. Now you need to do a quick manuever. Been there, done that. What could be the result on old, cold tires? Or, it's just getting dark, and you crest a little hill and there is a 6 foot wide jumble of barbed wire in the middle of the road? BTDT also.

My opinion is that the "waste" of a few months of non-use could offset the advantage of peace of mind if you really do want to take a nice country drive. What are the odds of something happening? Low; but, ask your question to the four Viper owners whose wrecks have been posted in the last couple of weeks. I bet each of them thought that they were driving safely and never thought that they needed that extra margin of performance. They weren't the idiots that some posts made them out to be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
markk

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I don't think that anyone can really say from a scientific standpoint. All we know is that the performance is greatly less than new tires. Then you add in the additional cold factor of winter when you would want the best tires. As you probably have read, the problem is when you encounter that one, unexpected situation. Driving down the highway behind some cars, and pull out to pass and all of a sudden see a shovel sitting on the center stripe right in front of you. Now you need to do a quick manuever. Been there, done that. What could be the result on old, cold tires? Or, it's just getting dark, and you crest a little hill and there is a 6 foot wide jumble of barbed wire in the middle of the road? BTDT also.

My opinion is that the "waste" of a few months of non-use could offset the advantage of peace of mind if you really do want to take a nice country drive. What are the odds of something happening? Low; but, ask your question to the four Viper owners whose wrecks have been posted in the last couple of weeks. I bet each of them thought that they were driving safely and never thought that they needed that extra margin of performance. They weren't the idiots that some posts made them out to be.

Well said and thanks. Although, I don't think I want to drive in your neighborhood with shovels and barbed wire on the road. :lmao: I've been thinking a lot about the recent accidents, which is what pushed me to ask the question. Thanks.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove on 8-9 year old rubber for 2 years while deciding what wheels/rubber to go with...I'm a slow thinker. I did the research and knew the pitfalls of older/harder rubber, so I didn't push it much. It did allow me to learn how easy the viper is to get sideways, as I did that often while playing around...um, I mean, while gathering research data through normal practical driving ;). As AZTVR pointed out...colder conditions should defintely be a consideration for how you drive it.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also,even with fresh soft rubber,ya still have to be careful in cold weather. Or warm weather or wet weather,and even dry sunny weather...with all that torque!! Be safe and...:drive:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said and thanks. Although, I don't think I want to drive in your neighborhood with shovels and barbed wire on the road. :lmao: I've been thinking a lot about the recent accidents, which is what pushed me to ask the question. Thanks.

I've got 30 years of examples. Not many incidents; but, they will happen to you some time. Once every few years. Another way to look at it is: In order to save money, would you cancel the comprehensive and collision portion of your insurance policy until spring; but, still take the drives that you are talking about? Same type of risk equation, I think.

I have found as I have gotten older that if the voices in my head start arguing about safety versus money, I have started listening to the one recommending spending the money versus taking the risk.

OP
OP
markk

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I've got 30 years of examples. Not many incidents; but, they will happen to you some time. Once every few years. Another way to look at it is: In order to save money, would you cancel the comprehensive and collision portion of your insurance policy until spring; but, still take the drives that you are talking about? Same type of risk equation, I think.

I'm 44, so I've been driving a while, just haven't seen stuff like that. I agree about the insurance, I don't plan to reduce the coverage during the winter. Since I have the factory gold wheels, I want to get a new set to preserve these (preferably OEM gold wheels). The package is a few bucks, which I want to push until at least Feb. Also, I'm having trouble finding the wheels I want, but that's another thread...

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put about 2k on 11 year old Pilot Sports. Was it smart? No. But it's not the end of the world as some make it seem. Get new tires asap but don't be scared to take it around the block as-is.

My story exactly with a twist: I was trying to straighten out some suspension problems during the 2k miles AND I live in Florida so it didn't take long to warm the tires.

That said, the new BFG tires are incredible. Gives me some perspective against the old tires.

Congrats on your ride. I have a 97 as well and LOVE it. Be careful.

Ron

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New tires + Cold conditions = Not good

Old tires + Cold conditions = :nono:

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stay conservative with them. Plenty of tread? We had a member drive to SLC on original tires with 20k+ miles on them (2000 RT/10). It all comes down to your level of risk and/or saving some cash. I would replace if worried. Don't, if you're not. Plenty of threads and opinions on this (of which I'm sure you've read according to your original post) :2tu:

Viper Blade

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I replaced my tires at about 5 years old with 9k on them about a year after I got the car. The change out was amazing. The car tracked, rode, accelerated better, was more controllable under excelleration through corners and in a straight line if I hit a bump under power. I learned this lesson this way. I have a large rv that sits a lot. The tires were 8 years old with 20k on them. They looked good and held air perfectly. One weekend driving home from the coast I had an inside rear tire disentegration that caused about 3k in damage underneath. The bus in no way became unstable. Had it been a front my family and I may have had a different story to tell. Through learning I found that tires when not used, harden up and don't transistion between cold and hot well. The heat generated can cause them to explode. 6 years is the trade out date on a vehicle's tires that does not get driven a lot. Shortly after the bus incident I replaced the Viper tires. They looked good too. This is not the same car. On the old tires and under power it was scary at times. I never knew exactly what it was going to do. I did loop it around once getting on the freeway. In short keep your travels short, conservative, and rare. Keep it under 65 mph, and the pressure correct you might have no issues. But as the gentleman said your car at present is no where near as stable as it was designed to be in an emergency situation and spinning out is easy to have happen in it's current state. High speed is out of the question. End of sermon, sorry if comes across that way.:eater:

1HOTV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why take a chance with your beautiful new ride. Slap those new PS2s on a
credit card and enjoy life. Don't wait, hate or hurt yourself. :2tu:

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced my tires at about 5 years old with 9k on them about a year after I got the car. The change out was amazing. The car tracked, rode, accelerated better, was more controllable under excelleration through corners and in a straight line if I hit a bump under power. I learned this lesson this way. I have a large rv that sits a lot. The tires were 8 years old with 20k on them. They looked good and held air perfectly. One weekend driving home from the coast I had an inside rear tire disentegration that caused about 3k in damage underneath. The bus in no way became unstable. Had it been a front my family and I may have had a different story to tell. Through learning I found that tires when not used, harden up and don't transistion between cold and hot well. The heat generated can cause them to explode. 6 years is the trade out date on a vehicle's tires that does not get driven a lot. Shortly after the bus incident I replaced the Viper tires. They looked good too. This is not the same car. On the old tires and under power it was scary at times. I never knew exactly what it was going to do. I did loop it around once getting on the freeway. In short keep your travels short, conservative, and rare. Keep it under 65 mph, and the pressure correct you might have no issues. But as the gentleman said your car at present is no where near as stable as it was designed to be in an emergency situation and spinning out is easy to have happen in it's current state. High speed is out of the question. End of sermon, sorry if comes across that way.:eater:

Viper Blade is exactly correct regarding old tires. Take the lack of traction, bad handling, rough ride, etc out of the equation. The most dangerous tire is one that is old and has not been driving on (RV's, boat trailers, motor homes, exotic cars, etc). When you look at a tire that has nearly full tread depth and holds air, you would assume the tire is ok. Problem is, tires that are older than 5 or 6 years old dry out. Driving the vehicle gets the tire hot. Hot tires release oils and emollinents that lubricate the rubber and keep it flexible. Tires that sit don't get hot and dry out internally. They are also the tires that delaminate at freeway speeds. May not cause you to have an accident but a total blowout almost always causes some sort of body damage on a low clearance vehicle. Big tires like what you have on a motor home are very heavy with lots of sidewall and they become battering rams against the RV's body, often causing thousands of dollars in damage.

By driving the vehicle the tire gets nice and hot and lubricated and stays flexible...but, because you drive the vehicle it also wears out in a more timely fashion and you have to replace the tire due to lack of tread. So tires have a built in expiration life when you use them.

Even if you don't speed or hot rod your ride, just assume that tire can explode at any time. We've even had a tire delaminate (spare tire) in the back of a 1985 Chevy Blazer in 2002. It was an original tire that previous owner had taken off the rig and used it as a spare when putting on new rubber. The tire industry calls this a wheelwell blowout.

Also, tire dressings, nitrogen, storing inside, etc will not help prolong the life of a tires rubber.

Next summer notice on the weekends which vehicles are on the side of the hiway with total blowouts....usually boat trailers and RV's, units that sit for months at a time a get used very little.

Be safe and enjoy your ride :2tu:

Cheers,
George

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought my stock 97 in 07 with the original tires on it. It was scary slick when I tried to get on it in a parking lot while getting a feel for the car. I was amazed at the change when I put some new rubber on the car. I won't pound you with it, but don't get on the go peddle at all until you change the tires! It could be an expensive lesson.

I love my 97. Nice vintage and congrats!:2tu:

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought my 2001 GTS from another member on the board exactly a year ago. The original tires were a handfull and replaced them with PS2s in February to give me enough traction to take on a track day.

If it even matters, my original tires are being pulled off my track wheels tomorrow and sent to the guy that sold me the car as a Christmas gift. He'll have a lot of fun with them, but they are NOT for the inexperienced driver in a Viper!:omg:

If you want to wait until Spring, either fight the desire to go out when it's nice or drive like you have a priceless egg between your foot and the gas pedal. These suckers WILL get away from you faster than you can blink and without proper training, you would be picking up the pieces using those WAY old tires.:(

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think old hard rubber is a lot more fun on the street... I could short shift 1st to 2nd and 3rd and just spin the tires...LOL!

New Michelins and the car just hooks up at close to stock power levels... now I need more hp...ugh!

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wouldnt take the risk and i would hold of putting new tires on until spring, to your point there is not need to have new tires sitting, i pulled my new rims and tires off my car last week and threw my old rims and tires on to avoid flat spots

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The traffic circles (turnabouts) have a huge drawback here. The right front tire gets worn out very fast, so that you have to replace the fronts (both) more often...

I purchased new front winter tires for the family Voyager this week. Soft and perfect grip in the snow. Usually, the car is doing an under-steer (a lot). However, now, going around a turn (not fast!) on snow the car follows the steering exactly and the rear tires try to swing out and do. The older (4-5 years old, plenty of thread) rear tires do not have the same grip as the new front tires and the front tires have to steer also (more "work", i.e. more grip needed sideways)...the same happens in a high performance vehicle, just at higher speeds. And the over-steer happens suddenly!

Drive safe and get 4 new (same) tires for the Viper! :drive:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As well-stated above, having to go-evasive, or make a panic stop, is when your steering and braking inputs are writing checks your old rubber cannot cash.

When chosing new tires, please remember: ANY new tire is going to feel and hook-up better than old, hard rubber. And therefore be safer than old hockey-pucks. This is why those who opt to save a couple hundred $$ on inferior new tires still like them, and even brag about them. But "a Lot Better Than Hockey Pucks" is faint praise! Most owners buy a High-priced Viper because of its High performance.....why choose its contact-patches based on just lowest price? PS-2 is WORTH the extra $.....

If you take objective tests into consideration, (and / or have even tried several brands over the years) you will quickly see and feel why the PS-2 is a great and top tire choice compared to most other options. And in Dollars-per-mile can even save $$$ vs. some of the cheaper-cost tires. Would PS-2 be my first choice for a dedicated track tire? No. But Street use 90%, track use 10%? YUP! And if you get "CAUGHT" in wet weather... the PS2 could save you from a scary ditch-dive.

Good Luck

PS: OXYgen is an OXYdizer....Nitrogen is not. Nitrogen in stored, inflated tires can prolong their life vs normal air.

Last edited:
OP
OP
markk

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm all on-board with getting PS-2s. I am not having luck finding a set of wheels that I want to tuck inside the PS-2s. I want to preserve the original gold wheels and use a replacement set. They don't have to be the original 5 spoke style, but they do have to be (painted) gold.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just bought a set of new Viper "SRT" 6 spoke chrome OEM wheels, 18x10 and 19x13. Here is a link to another eBay auction by the same seller. Going to power coat black and put on my 2005 Convertible. I want to put PS2s on all four corners. Can you give me a quote? Zip is 75025. Thanks for your help.

I did PM you as you requeted. Note.....you paid too much for those flea-bay wheels. DANG!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R