One full week of Gen 4 ownership.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay as most here may already know I purchased my Gen 4 Coupe a week ago.

In the past week I have:

-Added on about 3K miles
-Raced a private track day at Gingerman Raceway (South Haven, MI) http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...95099110239.2149060.1063783606&type=3&theater
-Got a picture of my B&W with Gen V B&W :) http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...04499866752.2079200.1063783606&type=3&theater
-Seen 3 Gen V's in person and met a few Viper Engineers
-Gotten pictures of my car from a Helicopter http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151215948538669&set=o.154543717915868&type=1&theater
-Raced a Helicopter (I was on a track)
-Raced US131 and did 11.8 @ 126mph 1/4 mile, 3rd and final run.
-Washed the car 4 times (personal enjoyment)
-Entered in a local car show
-Perma-grinned the entire week

So coming from my 99 GTS this car is a world of difference. A lot more comfortable ride, ease of drivibility, exceptional handling, and FAST!

The only question I have about the car is starting it. Almost every time the car seems to struggle??? Is this normal? Or maybe signs of a starting getting weak?

Thanks!......... now back to driving!

-Tim

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
......Battery...............

So this is not normal...... I was thinking battery and figured I would pull it over winter and replace anyways. I will baby it for a few weeks and swap it when the snow comes.

I assume it is located behind the drivers rear wheel? Access from hatch or exterior panel?

Thanks!

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So this is not normal...... I was thinking battery and figured I would pull it over winter and replace anyways. I will baby it for a few weeks and swap it when the snow comes.

I assume it is located behind the drivers rear wheel? Access from hatch or exterior panel?

Thanks!

Definitely the battery. Lift the rear trunk compartment carpet and you'll see the access panel.

If you get down low and clean down in the lower rear diffuser area, you can see the battery poking through the open rear diffuser

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely the battery. Lift the rear trunk compartment carpet and you'll see the access panel.

If you get down low and clean down in the lower rear diffuser area, you can see the battery poking through the open rear diffuser

Ahhhh I have actually seen this peaking through on pics of others cars! I may get ambitious and crack this out a little sooner so it doesn't leave me stranded somewhere!

-Tim

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay as most here may already know I purchased my Gen 4 Coupe a week ago.

In the past week I have:

-Added on about 3K miles
-Raced a private track day at Gingerman Raceway (South Haven, MI) http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...95099110239.2149060.1063783606&type=3&theater
-Got a picture of my B&W with Gen V B&W :) http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...04499866752.2079200.1063783606&type=3&theater
-Seen 3 Gen V's in person and met a few Viper Engineers
-Gotten pictures of my car from a Helicopter http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151215948538669&set=o.154543717915868&type=1&theater
-Raced a Helicopter (I was on a track)
-Raced US131 and did 11.8 @ 126mph 1/4 mile, 3rd and final run.
-Washed the car 4 times (personal enjoyment)
-Entered in a local car show
-Perma-grinned the entire week

So coming from my 99 GTS this car is a world of difference. A lot more comfortable ride, ease of drivibility, exceptional handling, and FAST!

The only question I have about the car is starting it. Almost every time the car seems to struggle??? Is this normal? Or maybe signs of a starting getting weak?

Thanks!......... now back to driving!

-Tim

Your pictures don't work. See if you can place them somewhere else. I would really like to see them. Also, congrats. I can't wait until I can post a similar story. :2tu:

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My GTS was 12 flat quatermile all day! Could never beat that! Working on low 11's for the new one!

I will work on pictures soon! I need to up my VCA acct I believe. Those are links to my facebook pictures.

Cops...... What cops? No I have been keeping the playing on the track and minimal street pulls.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Battery is almost 5 years old and has been weak when hot for a year or 2. Be surprised if it won't make it until winter, but it's getting old and definitely will need replaced. Great you are enjoying the new Viper!!

Bill

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My battery is 8years old, and starts the car like it just rolled off the line. I always put it on a tender, But these cars do eat batteries, just not mine , yet.....

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even with a brand new battery, my Gen IV turns over a bit slower than any other vehicle I've ever owned. I've just chalked it up to a quirk that I've learned to live with.

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drove the car again today and same starter. I am confident it will not give me any issues for a long time though. I'm going to throw a new battery in her this winter anyways. Along with my new wipers! Those will be my mods this winter I suppose :).

As far as an encore I was hoping to hit up another track and a Auto X event!

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slow turnover? I can't tell because mine fires right up on the push of the button. I just recently put in a new Diehard Platinum because it didn't fire up at all. Just tick, tick, tick, tick..... I did notice a sligh hesitation on the last couple of starts and didn't think much of it. So that's how modern batteries die - little warning. Original battery was over 7 years old. I kept a tender on it but not in the first 4 years where it lived in Vegas and Houston. Heat is ******* batteries.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960