Only 640 hp? ***

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry big let down!! Only 100 lbs lighter! What are your thoughts?

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all the hype, I was prepared for the disappointment.

They couldn't have at least matched the 650 hp Mustang GT500???? I'm sure this car will go like stink, but was hoping for 700 hp.

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
640hp will leave plenty of room for the aftermarket. Not as easy as in the past but doable.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its helps that the rotating assembly is now entirely forged, from the pistons to the connecting rods to the crankshaft.

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very disappointed with that number. :mad: It's only marginally more than the ZR1 and I'm sure when the new C7 comes out, it will have 700hp-750hp. Top that with being less horsepower than a Mustang???? SERIOUSLY ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to admit I was a little disappointed in the 640HP. Was hoping they would have more than a damn Mustang? Im already getting texts from my Mustang buddies laughing at me. LOL. All in good nature but you can imagine the fun those guys will have with this.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very beautiful car designed to attract the 60 year old Ferrari/Porsche owner.
But no one can say 640 HP isn't a bit of a disappointment.

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the price? How can anyone expect a 700hp, 3,100 lb car with a good interior for half the price of a Ferrari or Lambo? Mustangs are HEAVY, they wont be anywhere near this Viper in terms of overall performance.

mgeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On Ralph's presentation it looked like the size of the engine was 8.4 still, I thought that they were going to an 8.7 litre? Love the look of the car and the interior, not that 640 HP is anything to sneeze at, but I was also thinking around 700.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Soooo basically SRT matched the "old" ZR1 specs of around 640hp and 33xxlbs. So it will be about as fast as the older 2012 ZR1. What is the point of this? I dont get it. But on an upbeat note that interior is GORGEOUS.

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the car, but no doubt bolt ons ZR1s, and GT500s are going to have a field day with the new GTS.
Hoping it is friendly enough to mod; I suspect the Compression ratio is probably high for forced induction with forged internals and all....
640 hp is lame, at least they should've made that thing rev to 7k rpms...

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm guessing the 640 hp may be bumped up a little for the production car since reality is still many months away. But, will Fiat allow the car to beat the F12's lbs/hp rating? Right now the new Viper is 5.15 lbs/hp.

I would have bet money the Gen V would come in at around 660 hp.

Overall the car is a huge hit because it looks fantastic, which is the number one selling point when somebody buys a car.

Cheers,
George

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Interior= Spot on, looks amazing
Exterior= Undecided
Power= Big let down. I know it's not all about hp, its how you put it down and use it but come on. A damn mustang has more power, on paper, and that just isn't right. They could have at least beat it by 10 instead of under by 10. ***
Looks good though.

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a nice looking car. It is not at all a Viper. I have no passion looking at this car, I never wanted to purchase another nice car and unfortunately that's what this is.

It is not menacing or aggressive, it's stance is feminine and the list goes on. The entire thing just does nothing for me. As I said, it's "nice" but when I think Viper this is not what excites me. I don't think this is a reflection of the previous Vipers at all, I don't think it ignites the emotion we all have, or had in the past. This car will be great, but it has clearly detached from what we love.

patgilm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car looks great inside and out. I am disappointed it has "only" 640hp. It is like they just wanted to top the ZR1's hp by a couple hp just to say they had more. I would have been more than happy with 660hp which is what I thought they would have done. Overall, it is a huge improvement in every aspect and even has launch control which may help it in drag times.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is about power to weight and torque. In that regard the Gen 5 shines. However, I too wish it had at least 660HP. Horsepower sells cars (ok and torque wins races).

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The important thing is that this is 640 hp naturally aspirated. Super charged and Turbo charged engines can easily make more hp, but they are almost impossible to get as good throttle control.

With my previous Paxton I often got taken up with lifting the throttle a bit, but still getting increased power build due to boost.

Think this new Viper is going to offer a magnificent driving experience.

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was hoping and praying that at least with the lighter engine that they can spin that motor to 8k but it's the same old crappy sounding v10 that's become synonymous with the viper!! Huge let down :(