opinions ; 97 gts 110k miles

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by Unknown_element, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Unknown_element

Unknown_element Enthusiast

Looking at a 97 gts, 110k miles for 25k. Its at a dealer 2 hours away. I asked about imperfections, few dings, bolsters werent bad. Think 25 is a decent deal? Might go drive it this weekend. Car is bone stock afaik. Thoughts?

2. Goatman

Goatman Viper Owner

If you really want it, Take it to a viper tech and have a PPE done, if it all checks out, go for it. I wouldnt worry about the mileage, You can always upgrade it with the money you have saved :) Good luck

3. Timnineside

Timnineside Viper Owner

I that's a steal if you like the car and it checks out.

4. Allan

Allan Viper Owner

I wouldn't be too worried about the miles.

It's the low mileage cars that have been smashed into a tree that you need to avoid.

5. Jeffsss

Jeffsss Enthusiast

25k is what I'd expect to pay for a 97 with 110k.. thing is.. not too many of them pop up for sale with that kinda mileage so it's hard to comp sales..

6. Unknown_element

anything specific I should look for? Might go down Saturday morning and check it out.

7. DrumrBoy

DrumrBoy Enthusiast

Have the tech do a compression check (and if you really want to be certain about the engine) a leakdown and oil analysis. Can cost 500-600 but it'll demonstrate the health of the internals reasonably well. If it has 100K on it and doesn't blow blue smoke, I bet its good for another 100......

8. my viper

my viper enthusiast

Like the suggestions above, get it checked thoroughly. Also indicate where you are located or where the car is, so you could get some feedback on nearby techs.

9. coupe

coupe Viper Owner

Might need hoses, radiator, belt, front gaskets, main seals, etc... but the rest should be just fine. A leakdown (like mentioned above) will tell alot about the condition of the engine itself, like if it has been run with nitrous, abused, etc... Mechanically, it should still be just fine after 100k miles; they're pretty robust machines.

10. GreenVenom

GreenVenom Viper Owner

If it checks out I would probably go for it. At that price you have a lot of room for any future needs and repairs.

11. mad0953

mad0953 Viper Owner

Where are you located? Maybe some VCA member is nearby and could do a look see for you.

12. crackleking

crackleking Enthusiast

I just purchased a 98 RT with 4,700 miles for $35,000. It was in showroom condition. I know, I probably underpaid, but 110,000, I wouldn't touch the car

13. DrTaco

DrTaco Viper Owner

14. AZTVR

AZTVR Enthusiast

You saying that a Viper with 110,000 miles on it should be scrapped for parts? :rolleyes:

15. Unknown_element

its in Columbus ohio, germain cadillac

16. 99 R/T 10

99 R/T 10 Enthusiast

Dude, stop posting until you do a LOT more reading. Education is a wonderful thing.....................

Like others have said, if it checks out, go for it. :2tu:

17. Leslie

Leslie Viper Owner

I have a few Viper friends in the area, let me know if you want one of them to check it out and I can ask.

I personally would go for it, I love that body style and year, forged pistons, can't go wrong there!

18. 72hemi

72hemi Enthusiast

Not too long ago I seem to recall a 96 GTS with over 100k miles sold in that price range. Like others have said I would not be concerned about the miles if everything checks out. Remember it is a 16 year old car, so that equates to less than 7k miles a year, which in normal car speak is low mileage. My 2001 has over 84k miles on it and is in great shape. These are cars are extremely durable and I see no reason why with proper maintenance they won't last more than 200k.

19. Jeffsss

Jeffsss Enthusiast

I just searched autotrader... i see it's in Ohio. no pics though. at least it's at a dealership so you most certainly can go test drive it.

20. hiss highness

hiss highness Viper Owner

drop in a new odometer if the miles bug u, mileage is just a relative thing anyway cause it only tell mileage on the frame/body. it could of had the engine,tranny and any other number of parts replaced anyway, you could still rack up a bunch o miles on it and still flog it in 5 years for 25k, if it is at a dealer then they would of ran it through the service dept first so there should be a report to let you know some details

21. moparracing

moparracing Viper Owner

22. coupe

coupe Viper Owner

Good price sure, but hardly a steal.

23. Jeffsss

Jeffsss Enthusiast

24. moparracing

moparracing Viper Owner

25. Jeffsss

Jeffsss Enthusiast

26. heliguy25

heliguy25 Enthusiast

Solid red! Awesome!

27. troublemaker

troublemaker Enthusiast

I don't think you did bad on that one, but the RTs don't seem to hold their value as well as the GTSs. I don't know why, it is what it is. I will be honest, I would purchase a 97 with 100k before a 98 with 5k. The lower mileage cars scare me more than the high mileage ones. High mile cars usually won't have anything surprising pop up, the low mileage ones always seem to have a few surprises lurking. The high mileage mindset that is common with exotics doesn't apply to Vipers as well. It's such an overbuilt car, the are on the edge of bulletproof.

28. STUGOTS

STUGOTS Viper Owner

I'd try and talk down a bit personally.

but 110k on an early gen 2 with forged, I wouldn't worry unless it has signs of being tracked IMO

29. Unknown_element

car sold Saturday before I could get down to look at it! wasn't ment to be I guess!