Paint Blistering on Sidepipes!

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm having a bit of a problem on the sidepipes of my '96 coupe!! The paint is blistering in a few places! It first started about 2 years ago and is getting worse! I figure it's due to the high heat in that area??!! You'd think the (original) paint used would have a sufficient heat threshold so's not to do that!!
I guess the only solution is touch-up paint or a total repaint of the pipes?!!
Anybody else have this problem?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It happens to all over time. I would repaint the sills and paint the inside of them with VHT. That's what I did. Dunno if it helps but I'll let you know in another 40,000 miles.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems to happen a lot on the older vipers. The alluminum gets corroded from moisture and the heat. I had it on my yellow 95. It started on spring then in a couple months it had just gotten 100% worse.

To get it done right you need to repaint the whole side sill and fix the corrossion spots or it will not go away.

Do a search on here Dansauto (NY area) did mine and a few other guys on here for a pretty reasonable price. He drills the bubbles out and tig welds the holes up then can paint them.

Ed

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think it's more of a corrosion / galvanic reaction than a heat related problem on a lot of the Gen1 cars

OP
OP
vipernut

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your input..I'm getting it taken care of....I just wonder if this wasn't a design flaw ..(of some sort)...since everyone is of the opinion that the problem has to do with the reaction of the steel and the aluminum and water or something (galvanic reaction??!!)....

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's moisture. Heat just makes things worse. The rivits in old Vipers makes it worse. The real problem is moisture getting in the insulation when you wash the Viper or drive in rain. Sits in that area for a long time before it dries out. Heck there is no air getting therough there to dry it out. Corrosion gets through and little opening in the paint and starts the problem.

Repairing correctly and spraying the crap out of the inside of the sills with VHT fixes it. Replacing the cats while you are at it is a must.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Catalytic converter,,,the big thing right next to your foot just as the exhaust turns along the side of the sill. It's why the sidesill is so freakin hot. Replace them with high flow ones or straight pipes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21