Paint Correction 2001 Sapphire RT/10

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well today I took the first step in the project I have planned for my '01 Viper this year. In August she will turn 10 years old so I decided to do a thorough cleaning of her this year to get her back up to her fresh from the factory look. Sapphire Blue while very beautiful is a PITA to keep clean. Being a novice when it had come to car care unfortunately my Viper suffered but after watching The Junkman's videos and asking some questions I feel pretty confident in what I want to do.

I will be using the Griots Garage system to correct my paint. I have been very pleased with their stuff and it's what i've used on my Viper since day one. I built a kit that is very close to The Junkman's kit so we will see how it goes. Plus free shipping till 7/4/11 was hard to pass up. :D Everything should arrive in 3-5 business days. I will be posting pics of my progress in this thread. :) Once everything arrives I will post some pics. :)

TP_ GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Sapphire Blue is an awesome color when she's all "Purteed up". I don't find it any harder to keep clean than any other dark color. Once you get that prep work done, keeping a good coat of wax makes it easier to maintain. Yep.. the Junkman has some great information about detailing. Maybe too much for some. You will go crazy trying to keep your finish PERFECT if you drive your car often. :D

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your right about the PITA part with Sapphire Blue! Post some pictures as you go :headbang:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, what was the cost of the kit you put together? Do you have a list of the products?

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob, do you start it off with a good wash with Dawn detergent and also clay-barring ?? Then put on the products in a certain order ?? I have used Zaino and now have some Adam's products, I find both of these to do a great job...just takes some time and patience....happy polishing !!!

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob, do you start it off with a good wash with Dawn detergent and also clay-barring ?? Then put on the products in a certain order ?? I have used Zaino and now have some Adam's products, I find both of these to do a great job...just takes some time and patience....happy polishing !!!

I'm not sure on the DAWN detergent yet. I know some say to use it to strip off any old wax but I don't know how much wax if any is left on the car. I will be following the Junkman's method. Rinse the car, Foam gun, 2 bucket wash, Pooling rinse and leaf blower for drying, Clay Bar, Machine Polish, Machine Wax and hopefully good to go from there. :)

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Be careful not to overuse Dawn. It is acidic and does a great job stripping the car, but paint isn't the only material on your car. I suggest doing it max once a year.

Other people use IPA to remove the wax.

You might want to leave the car wet and use car wash as a lubricant for the claybar.

Good luck and post up some pics!

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful not to overuse Dawn. It is acidic and does a great job stripping the car, but paint isn't the only material on your car. I suggest doing it max once a year.

Other people use IPA to remove the wax.

You might want to leave the car wet and use car wash as a lubricant for the claybar.

Good luck and post up some pics!

Whats "IPA" if you don't mind me asking? I plan to use Speed SHine (detail spray) as a lubricant when clay baring.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Isopropyl Alcohol. You can get it cheap, just about anywhere. Usually 70-90%. We have 99% at work, but it flashes really fast. Best for hardened steel, where rust is an issue. You can get away with 70%, but get 90% if you can.

Detail Spray makes a great lubricant for clay bar.

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isopropyl Alcohol. You can get it cheap, just about anywhere. Usually 70-90%. We have 99% at work, but it flashes really fast. Best for hardened steel, where rust is an issue. You can get away with 70%, but get 90% if you can.

Detail Spray makes a great lubricant for clay bar.

Ah I see. I need to wash my car again to see how much beading up there is. I have not waxed her in well over a year but the last time when I did wax it there was a couple coats on her already.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it has been a year and you actually drive the car, then you are most likely down to no wax.

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My goodies arrived on Friday but I have not had a chance to get pics up till now...

A COUPLE BOXES OF STUFF. :)
CIMG2398.JPG

MY IN-LINE WATER SOFTENER TO HELP CUT DOWN ON WATER SPOTS
CIMG2399.JPG

FOAM GUN. CAN'T WAIT TO PUT THIS TO USE.
CIMG2402.JPG

MY MICRO FIBER WASH MITS AND PADS.
CIMG2405.JPG

MY CLAY BAR KIT FOR AFTER WASHING AND BEFORE POLISHING.
CIMG2409.JPG

THE WORK HORSE OF MY PROJECT.
CIMG2403.JPG

POLISH AND WAX FOR MY UPCOMING PROJECT.
CIMG2404.JPG

EXTRA SUPPLIES.
CIMG2406.JPG

Very excited for this project. :)

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all due respect for differing views.....

About Dawn washes. My understanding...perhaps incorrect....was that Dawn was at about 7-9ph. (I don't recall where that came from.) If so, it's pretty neutral. A lower number would get more acidic as it goes toward 0. My understanding is that many car wash soaps are at about that level too. So how is Dawn more "acidic"?

Hey look, I'm not advocating the use of Dawn for regular washing as it will strip the wax/sealant. I have used Dawn before a detail for probably 20 years with no ill effects. Regardless, it's on the surface a very short time. I'd be more concerned using a solvent like Grease & Wax remover than Dawn.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all due respect for differing views.....

About Dawn washes. My understanding...perhaps incorrect....was that Dawn was at about 7-9ph. (I don't recall where that came from.) If so, it's pretty neutral. A lower number would get more acidic as it goes toward 0. My understanding is that many car wash soaps are at about that level too. So how is Dawn more "acidic"?

Hey look, I'm not advocating the use of Dawn for regular washing as it will strip the wax/sealant. I have used Dawn before a detail for probably 20 years with no ill effects. Regardless, it's on the surface a very short time. I'd be more concerned using a solvent like Grease & Wax remover than Dawn.

I can definitely vouch for Dawn being something that you don't want to use at all unless you're stripping the wax off the car because it does that like nobody's business. If you make a sink full of water and Dawn, pour some drops of grease into the water into the water. Watch what happens.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,

I went thru the same process on my daily driver and my 68 Coronet R/T using Griot's Gargae products. As long as you take your time and do not rush things and cut corners the results will be stunning and then very easy to maintain after that.

Bruce

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,

I went thru the same process on my daily driver and my 68 Coronet R/T using Griot's Gargae products. As long as you take your time and do not rush things and cut corners the results will be stunning and then very easy to maintain after that.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce! I can't wait to get started. After watching all of The Junkman's videos it really built up my confidence to do this myself. He really deserves some kind of award or something. :)

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Bruce! I can't wait to get started. After watching all of The Junkman's videos it really built up my confidence to do this myself. He really deserves some kind of award or something. :)

that was exactly how I got the guts to really do some paint correction and now I love detailing the cars. Junkman's videos are very easy to follow.

Bruce

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One other question has come to mind. What does everyone do as far as cleaning their polishing and waxing supplies? Just throw everything into the same washer or use a different method?

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score

FOOD! FOOD is all I need. I work for FOOD! :D

One other question has come to mind. What does everyone do as far as cleaning their polishing and waxing supplies? Just throw everything into the same washer or use a different method?

Be more specific. The pads are cleaned one way, the towels anther. You don't mix anything that needs cleaning!

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I decided to try ut my foam gun last night to see what kind of foam I am working with. I used my DD as the test subject....

Full foaming sprayer.
CIMG2416.JPG

After completely covering the car and wheel wells it only used about half the bottle.
CIMG2418.JPG

CIMG2417.JPG

So I used the rest of the soap in the bottle and completely covered the car. I love this thing. :)
CIMG2419.JPG

The instructions tell you to mix the car wash and soap at a 1:1 ratio. Came out pretty well if you ask me. I also tried the pooling rinse technique and it worked pretty well. Can't wait to get started! :)

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FOOD! FOOD is all I need. I work for FOOD! :D

Be more specific. The pads are cleaned one way, the towels anther. You don't mix anything that needs cleaning!

Thats kinda what I was getting at A.J. :) SHould the polish pad be cleaned separate from the waxing pad (not in the same washing machine load)? Same goes for the polish removal cloths, wax removal cloths, and speed shine (detail spray) removal cloths. All are micro fiber.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I always wash my microfiber towels seperate. I use hot water and Woolite. I then air dry my microfibers. You can put them in the dryer, but do not use heat!

I spray my polishing pads with Adam's All Purpose Cleaner and hand scrub all the polish out. It is best to do this immediately after use! I then rinse out the pads with tap water and air dry upside down. Grit Guards make great drying racks!

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always wash my microfiber towels seperate. I use hot water and Woolite. I then air dry my microfibers. You can put them in the dryer, but do not use heat!

I spray my polishing pads with Adam's All Purpose Cleaner and hand scrub all the polish out. It is best to do this immediately after use! I then rinse out the pads with tap water and air dry upside down. Grit Guards make great drying racks!

I do the same, except I use COLD water on my microfibers. The instructions say use warm water but Woolite is especially made for cold washing. Plus, your cloths will last a lot longer by washing them with cold water. That goes for any clothing.

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just checking in. I plan on starting my project towards the end of september when the driving season is over. Getting very excited for this project. :)