Paxton SC with 3.55 gears

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else running this setup in Gen III? Honestly, I expected the car to be extremely fast which by the standards of a normal car it is. But, with a dyno sheet stating 750HP (crank) peak power I was expecting a little more. With the 3.55 gears the car gets up to redline so fast that it is spending very little time in the most powerful part of the rev range. 4th and 5th are ridiculous in terms of overall speed, but I am hitting approx. 72 mph in 2nd.

With the SC, would these cars be better off with OEM 3.07 gearing?

I probably need to tune the car, but have no idea where to go in the Colorado region for that. Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know, a lot of people think their Viper is a Mustang that needs 3.73 or 4.10's.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
stock gears are better on SC cars in my opinion. you should be hitting more than 72mph in 2nd gear

and id be real careful if i was you with that car running WOT, you dont know what the tune is or what its doing at that altitude. find a tuner and get it tuned.

did you talk to mark jorgensen at woodhouse about the car and tune ?

OP
OP
T

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to Mark at Woodhouse and Dan at DC Performance and they both said the car should be fine. If anything it is probably running a little rich. I need to find a tuner here in CO and put it on a dyno. The tune that is in the car now was done by DC Performance.

I guess the 3.55 gears would be useful on a track but I don't plan to track this car so I guess I will have to live with the gearing. It's not bad, just different.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i never drove a SC car with those gears but NA and those gears are slightly steep for me. with a SC, i dont think id like it for the same reasons as you said

might be able to find someone local to swap ?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an O3 with a Paxton from DC Performance. Before the Paxton it I had installed 3:54's and that worked out great till the supercharger went on. It was great fun, but certaintly a handfull. Lots and lots of tire spin with run flats. As boost would grow it would spin tires easily in first three gears.

Had to be on full tilt alert when going to the throttle on boost. While the car was fun, it was most certaintly slower. When the rear end went out I switched back to the stock 3:07's and the car was much better behaved, far easier to drive fast, and certaintly faster overall.

The combination of 3:54 and Paxton felt like it was overdriving the suspension, chassis and rear end. The stock gears smoothed out everything, and the car become far better balanced and more satisfying. (but not as much fun!)

OP
OP
T

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either something is wrong with my car or these Pilot Sports grip on a whole other level, I haven't spun the tires at all in this car. I have been on full WOT too but admittedly, progressively and not stabbing at the throttle. Like I said 4th gear is incredible on the highway. And please do not get me wrong, the car is a BLAST to drive! I just thought it would be "longer" in the power. I wonder if someone would do a rear end swap with me on this board?

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im running 354's with a Paxton and I agree it's too much gear. Going back to a Gen 4 307 when I find the time to install it.

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think you should get it dynoed because those tires should not hook very well at all with the gears you have.
I had PS2 on mine and they were not good in a straight line, i just bought some nitto NT05R and they hook in a straight line pretty
good, just dont go crazy around corners cause they will slide.
I think you would want 307s in if it had 750hp.

OP
OP
T

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you should get it dynoed because those tires should not hook very well at all with the gears you have.
I had PS2 on mine and they were not good in a straight line, i just bought some nitto NT05R and they hook in a straight line pretty
good, just dont go crazy around corners cause they will slide.
I think you would want 307s in if it had 750hp.

Perhaps, but I am at altitude (5280 ft) so I think that may play a part in it as well.

OP
OP
T

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much am I looking at to do a re-gear? What ring and pinion set (brand) would be the best (strength) for this application??

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Dan at DC performance and see if he has anymore gen 4 take out units for sale. I got one from him and it was cheaper than a gear change.

OP
OP
T

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I just called Dan and he is going to see what he has. He said the Gen 4 Rear Diff would be better for the car than what is in it now. Thanks for that advice.

Ghoust

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm running 3.55 (3.54 to be specific) on my Paxton Gen III and I have to say, I am very satisfied!. The 3.07s were a little too tall for me to work with while in boost. and now I feeel like my power is much more useable. I am at 660rwhp so figure around the same HP as you at the crank. You want to make sure you have good tires, as well as minimal belt slip on the blower....

OP
OP
T

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How will the Gen 3 rear end hold up though? I have no plans to track or race the car, just weekend drives.

Ghoust

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have only had it on for about 1000 miles now, so far so good. However, I havent really launched ******* the car as of yet. Most of my boost pulls are done on the highway....

OP
OP
T

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either something is wrong with my car or these Pilot Sports grip on a whole other level, I haven't spun the tires at all in this car. I have been on full WOT too but admittedly, progressively and not stabbing at the throttle. Like I said 4th gear is incredible on the highway. And please do not get me wrong, the car is a BLAST to drive! I just thought it would be "longer" in the power. I wonder if someone would do a rear end swap with me on this board?

Scratch that, I wasn't trying hard enough. They spin!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth