Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's how the coupe is being presented in Detroit:

You must be registered for see images

Much better setting than in LA, but no press coverage yet.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I was one of the naysayers early on based on the pics from VOI - but I have to say that it I like it and it looks pretty tight!

Also appears that Dodge added 500 pounds to the trunk to get rid of the 4x4 look in the back but forgot to address the front.

Look forward to seeing it live and in person at the Chicago Auto Show!

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not a BAD looking car, but it's not a step up in styling that makes you want to sell your GEN 2. I am betting that if they released a version that looked like a Comp Coupe, tons of people would sell off their Gen 2's (ME ME!!!)

-M

Reaction score
1. Like the CC lines much better!
2. The Z06 will be "King of The Hill", which is one of the Team Viper(in the days of Bob Lutz) Promised to reign. It is not surprising that, Bob now at GM, Corvette has stepped up to the plate with a super performer.
3. I for one will not buy a Corvette!
4. I will also not buy another sports car that is slower than a corvette.

Prediction, if SRT fails to maintain the Viper as its "King of The Hill" sports car the Viper will disappear from the product line in a few years. The owners I know want performance not a second or third place finish behind GM or Ford.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1. Like the CC lines much better!
2. The Z06 will be "King of The Hill", which is one of the Team Viper(in the days of Bob Lutz) Promised to reign. It is not surprising that, Bob now at GM, Corvette has stepped up to the plate with a super performer.
3. I for one will not buy a Corvette!
4. I will also not buy another sports car that is slower than a corvette.

Prediction, if SRT fails to maintain the Viper as its "King of The Hill" sports car the Viper will disappear from the product line in a few years. The owners I know want performance not a second or third place finish behind GM or Ford.

I guess I am one of the few who is not crazy about the CC's look. The CC has way too huge front and rear overhangs and not enough of the curves that made me fall in love with the Gen I/II shape. I think that the CC has things going for it but if that basic CC were to be slimmed down in areas and beefed up in others, along with reducing the huge overhangs, the shape would be far more appealing.

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing I like better about the CC is the wider front end and the more aggressive flares over the front tires. But I do not like the rear end and those lights.

I think the new Coupe is beautiful and I am seriously considering this as the next car purchase- even over the new Z. Nothing else looks like the new Coupe and it addresses alot of the things I don't think work on the SRT 10 Convertible. Still not as pretty as the original GTS but in my eyes a steo in the right direction at least in design.

But they still need to up the Horsepower- with a defeatable traction control system- and reduce the weight by 200 or so pounds.

GTS234

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Hisserman.

Wonder who is running this show (the presentation of the car to the public)? I mean, we have seen 3 different ride heights (ground clearance) in the last three presentations (studio pics, LA show and now Detroit). And to make it worse, first they get it wrong (too high), then they get it right, and then throw in some of each for the most important one. In Detroit, the rear looks good and front is TOO high. Really, is somebody asleep or TRYING to screw this up. The clearance from the top of the tire to the top of the wheel opening is an inch (or more) larger in the front than the rear. If they are going to be different, it should always be the opposite, with the rear slightly greater than the front. Looks like an old Chevelle or Monte Carlo with 15" x 8"'s all around and the front all jacked up so the fronts will have enough clearance to be able to turn left or right without rubbing.

Really, showing a car is not that hard to do right. If they can't get that right, boy, it really makes you wonder. I want them to be successful, but for crying out loud, if they can't get obvious, easy things like this right............

PLEASE, if you're serious about making a good impression up there, SIT THE FRONT END DOWN TODAY!!!! :mad:

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car now revealed is a far better looking car than the one in the VOI 8 pics

And while SRT10's look better in the flesh than they do in pictures - I'm willing to wager this new coupe looks A LOT better in the flesh than in pics....

It might not perfctly fit everyones wish list right now - but I think they've done enough to make this a seller.... I look forward to seeing the first one in person, I think it will be quite impressive.

The older GTS will become a collectible - but isn't that a good thing?

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
PLEASE, if you're serious about making a good impression up there, SIT THE FRONT END DOWN TODAY!!!! :mad:

My guess is that for the show that the front seemed higher than the rear, the car had no engine.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score

And while SRT10's look better in the flesh than they do in pictures - I'm willing to wager this new coupe looks A LOT better in the flesh than in pics....

It might not perfctly fit everyones wish list right now - but I think they've done enough to make this a seller.... I look forward to seeing the first one in person, I think it will be quite impressive.

I wish the car looked better in person than in the pics. It wasn't until I saw the car in person that I realized how poorly the bubble top integrated with the S2000 look of the SRT. It is like DC heard people complain about the shape of the SRT and figured that by taking the much loved bubble top from the GTS and slapping it on the SRT, everyone would be happy. It looks out of place and the car still lacks a muscular shape and looks thick in the waste. The good news is that there is no rain out today and I'm driving the GTS to work.

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Right on Makara. It is just a slapped on top. I think the viper is still much better looking that the c6z no matter what format. Too bad it didn't come with hp increase. In any case I will be getting the new z and keep the srt and have the best of both worlds---at least for a year.

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You should take a GOOD look at the rear of the car. From the doors back, the rear quarter panels and rear light section has changed alot compaired to the SRT-10 vert. They did a little more than just slap on a hard top. :rolleyes:

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You should take a GOOD look at the rear of the car. From the doors back, the rear quarter panels and rear light section has changed alot compaired to the SRT-10 vert. They did a little more than just slap on a hard top. :rolleyes:

Thanks eagle eyes. My point is that they did little to integrate the angular SRT look with the bubble top they put on. The shapes have nothing to do with one another and look out of place. Jeeze....

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As stated in Automobile mag, all the panels (roof, quarters and rear cap) bolt onto the convertibles structure. If someone duplicated the parts (or bought them from Dodge...not) it would be a snap to change a roadster to a coupe. I would prefer a removeable hardtop that mimics the look of the new coupe roof.

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't change anything in my mind when you realize it is still at least 50 HP short of where it should be at.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't change anything in my mind when you realize it is still at least 50 HP short of where it should be at.

those are the 05 motors they are testing the 06 motors (still in concept) will have 600hp.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
600 HP, stock, unreal.

Yes...But will it beat the Z06 on a roadcourse....Hopefully while they are tuning up the motor to 600hp they will tweak the weight and suspension...

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prowler I agree, that is the weakest design point. The back end curve should match the shape of the gap behind the front wheels or vice versa.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I wish the car looked better in person than in the pics. It wasn't until I saw the car in person that I realized how poorly the bubble top integrated with the S2000 look of the SRT. It is like DC heard people complain about the shape of the SRT and figured that by taking the much loved bubble top from the GTS and slapping it on the SRT, everyone would be happy. It looks out of place and the car still lacks a muscular shape and looks thick in the waste. The good news is that there is no rain out today and I'm driving the GTS to work.

bugger :p

glad to hear it stopped raining over there Mike

we got it now.

want it back? :D

OP
OP
H

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Ron --

But I can't take credit for them. They are the official NAIAS photos -- just wanted everyone to see them as soon as possible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth