Pics from the oopsy on the way to VOI with my fuel tank....

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, among many good stories from VOI, there was a good story, but in another way. A story that tells the tale of VCA members having no suitcases once they hit Salt Lake City. A story that is also a reminder that when you dont leave things stock, you may be asking for trouble! ;)

Well, lets start at the beginning.

Many of you know my truck. Its a 1990 and it has a few things done to it. OK, many things done to it. Things to the ballpark of over double the factory power....;)

DSC_1944.JPG

So, while driving along with the Grand Caravan, I acted as Viper support vehicle best I could. Mornings would entail loading the trailer with various peoples luggage, evenings were unloading once we got to the hotel.

Day one through three were all OK. Day four, and what was to be the final day, turned out to be a bit more interesting. ;)

The day began with the Vipers heading to SLC by way of the twisting hills. The 5 trucks and trailers, they were heading the north route: I80. Less hills and easier.

All seemed normal leaving Cheyenne Wyoming. Our first BIG mountain to cross. All was going well. We were doing about 75 MPH up a 7% grade, trailer with viper in tow, my EGT (exhaust gas temps) were running at 1300 F (in the good zone for my motor). Then a issue struck. I went over the top of the hill, turned on my air activated exhaust brake, and nothing! :omg: I look at my tank PSI - NOTHING! :omg: This is not good. So, using the real brakes (how degrading :rolleyes:) I slow down and pull off the highway at the bottom of the 3 mile long hill and go to see what the issue is in a tiny farm town. Must have blown a compressor fuse I thought. I look under the truck and see my exhaust pipe separated! :omg: Would appear the 1300 F air heated the two pipe sections at different rates and then the two pipes separated. So I slide under the truck, see that my air line that feeds the tank from the compressor is melted, as well as the wiring for the compressor. Great. Does explain the issue though. I pass along the wonderful news to my father. He is happy. ;)

Around this time fuel hits me. I look up. Holy shmoley! My plastic fuel tank is melted! :omg: Remember that hot air? Yeah. You guessed it. Wiring was now the least of my issues. :(

After 7 hours on the side of the road and a few trips into town with dads truck, this is what I plumb directly into the fuel pump (lift pump) while dad rewires. It hurt cutting the factory fuel lines to make room for these! ;)

attachment.php

This is dads temp wiring:

P1000455.JPG

Anyone notice a lot of soot on the underside of that bed floor.... ;)

So you want to know about those naked people right? Well, remember previously mentioned luggage? Remember where I am? Yeah. :rolleyes: By the time we got on the road and drove for a few hours, we decided that two exhausted people driving big mountains, with two trailers (one trailer with the VCA presidents Viper) at 2 am in the morning was a bad idea. We had to stop for the night.

We got up four hours later (is it morning already? I feel like death....:rolleyes:), back on the road and do make it to VOI.

So what does the tank look like? As promised, here are the pics:

New and old tank:

P1000454.JPG

P1000453.JPG

Sending unit assembly:

P1000449.JPG

P1000450.JPG

Note to self, be glad it was not GAS in that tank and that it was less flammable diesel! :omg:

Live and learn? ;)

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't be too giddy about diesel not being flammable. It is a combustible with a flash point of 143 F. Well below what many other of your under carriage parts operate at. I had a Chebby truck overheat the tranny and spill ATF out the vent on to the exhaust. It was burning nicely as I drove down the road before I pulled over.

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know It is flamable. I know as I start bonfires with the stuff. I am just saying it is a bit more user fiendly than gas when being heated in a tank!;)

G

Gotvenom 08

Well sounds like a very involved trip! Glad you guys made it safely to VOI.A very generous offer to haul luggage(vipers) and cargo for the caravan.This is what makes this site great.Great people,going above and beyond for the benefit of many.We can include many in that last statement......if you know what I mean!:smirk:

Glad it all worked out and it was a pleasure finally meeting you and your father at the event.Your car looked good too!( did I just say that?):)

Timbo

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the status of the insurance claim for my original Mona Lisa painting that melted in your truck? Don't make me take you to Judge Judy to get my $$$$$$$!!!!!!!! :D

They analysed the ashes. They say it was a fake and the person who had purchased the fake should thank me for exposing the truth and saving him from future embarrassment ! :D

Well sounds like a very involved trip! Glad you guys made it safely to VOI.A very generous offer to haul luggage(vipers) and cargo for the caravan.This is what makes this site great.Great people,going above and beyond for the benefit of many.We can include many in that last statement......if you know what I mean!:smirk:

Glad it all worked out and it was a pleasure finally meeting you and your father at the event.Your car looked good too!( did I just say that?):)

Timbo

Was a pleasure meeting you both as well Timbo! :):yay:

Diesel is not flammable. It is combustible.

I stand corrected.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lucky indeed that it was not gas or you would have turned yellow yourself :omg:! At least the soot is a good anti-rust protectant? How did you solve the exhaust issue so it will not come back in the future?
Sure am curious where you got the auxiliary tank in that tiny farm town... it would have scared the living daylights outta me if I were in your position and reminds me to flatbed my car to it's maintenance address when the time comes (both fuel lines are porous from age, not feeling like BBQ'ing meself).

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Junior I was SO relieved when you told me you were ok!

If anything ever happened to you, grandma would be very sad:(

On another note, my Viper was gonna be on your trailer, maybe that's a sign why I couldn't go lat the end...? Probably kept you safe huh?

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did you solve the exhaust issue so it will not come back in the future?

Four long screws through both pipes at the joint! :D

Sure am curious where you got the auxiliary tank in that tiny farm town... ).

Local farm supply store....and thats really about all that town had!:rolaugh:

Junior I was SO relieved when you told me you were ok!

If anything ever happened to you, grandma would be very sad:(

On another note, my Viper was gonna be on your trailer, maybe that's a sign why I couldn't go lat the end...? Probably kept you safe huh?

I dont know about that! We would have been safe! But instead, you would have been on the side of the road with us for 7 hours and could have tried your skills with wiring, fuel plumbing, or air line routing! :D:rolaugh:

Not sure yopur car is bad luck miss!

Now Chris Marshal's car....hmmm. Will have to look into if that car is cursed or not.:hmmm:

:rolaugh::lmao:

Glad it didn't catch fire and get real ugly for you.

Thanks. Me too.:(

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pfft....a couple of zip-ties and it should be fine.

Oh.
Sorry.
I thought I was on a different forum.
My bad.

V

Venomiss

Robert those photos are downright scary.

We didn't hear about anything until a certain tall banner loving gentleman stated he had no clothes due to his luggage being on someones trailer on the side of the road so we gave him a few T-shirts to change into until things were fixed.

Many, many thanks to you and all your help.

Just to let you know the yellow car is the reason the fire did not get any worse.;)

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a certain tall banner loving gentleman

:rolaugh::lmao:

Ooh. My mind starts to wander as to who that could have possibly been! ;)

Many, many thanks to you and all your help.

Just to let you know the yellow car is the reason the fire did not get any worse.;)

Anytime and yes. I agree. If it was a red car, well, I would likely not have made it much past Kansas before issues started! Yellow is a good luck charm. :D