PilotSuper Sport pricing has been released

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So in the end, these may not be quite as good as the PS2 C1 in warm weather and on dry roads, but should perform better in most other scenarios, and should last longer. It would be nice to hear an opinion from someone that goes from new PS2 C1s to these, but that's not going to happen...people switching from the PS2s will likely be like me, and their PS2s will be on their last legs before switching, so pretty much any tire would feel better by comparison.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that is an interesting read but, in reality it was the product launch in Dubai and the Pilot Sport PS2 C1 was not in the mix for any comparison data

Sorry, was just trying to help you move more product by emphasizing the improvement of this tire over the PS2, if nothing else by design alone. Included in that article was this interesting tidbit, especially if the C1 Viper PS2 uses Pilot Cup rubber as mentioned elsewhere:

"Bibendum’s (Michelin's) idea was to create a tyre which would succeed the Pilot Super Sport PS2 but would also be as fast as the Pilot Sport Cup but with added extreme weather performance. Basically, it wants to be a decent all round road tyre but with capable track performance. It sounded too good to be true, but after some thorough testing on the track, in both wet and dry conditions, I can safely say that this tyre does tick all the boxes."

And with the introduction of a totally new element to the tire, high speed stability is improved over just about every other tire, including the C1 PS2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ChkX0dzLgs

Cool stuff!

OP
OP
L

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they are definitely trying to change the game with the technology used in the Pilot Super Sports

Michelinman.com said:
Building on the development of racing tires designed to carry Prototype and GT class cars to endurance race victories at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, 12 Hours of Sebring and Road Atlanta's Petit Lemans, Pilot Super Sport tires are designed to deliver consistent performance and longevity by blending Max Performance driving characteristics with extended tread wear.
While the importance of tire treadwear in endurance racing may not be immediately apparent, Michelin tires set records during the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2010. One of the 2010 LMP Class leaders completed 46 consecutive laps on one set of tires with an average pace just 1% off of the pole position qualifying time. That’s almost 400 racing miles on one set of tires at an average speed of 150 mph.

Additionally the overall winner used just 11 sets of tires to cover a record 3,362 miles, averaging nearly 140 mph and almost 300 racing miles per set of tires. That represented almost a 25% wear improvement compared to just one year earlier where the overall winner needed 14 sets of tires to cover 3,235 miles. By developing longer wearing racing tires without sacrificing performance, Michelin tires allowed the teams to run record race paces while converting some of the time previously spent changing tires in the pits into productive time covering more miles on the track.

and the ability to tune the Super Sports handling characteristics using Twaron along with their C3M production is pushing the industry forward as well

Michelinman.com said:
Twaron is a polyamide cord that offers a lightweight, high-strength reinforcement above the steel belts to enhance high-speed handling, wear and durability. Michelin FAZ Technology (Filament At Zero degrees) winds the Twaron cord around the tire circumference much the same way fishing line is wound onto fishing reels to allow Michelin engineers to tune tension and strength.

prholley

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got my super sports delivered today. For those that have a set, do the side walls feel really soft or is it just me?

Reaction score
Got my super sports delivered today. For those that have a set, do the side walls feel really soft or is it just me?
If you are coming off of runflats they will be noticeably softer. We are getting a set mounted to a new set of 6-spoke wheels tomorrow at a local SCCA shop (then shipping to Canada) and will see what the SCCA guys say about them. Great reviews thus far!

Jagdpanzer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put a set Pilot Super Sports on this Friday. Side walls felt about the same as the Michelin Pilots (none runflat) that came off.
Got a chance to put a few miles on them today and no question they are superior to the old M Pilots in all respects.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put the Super Sports on they are way better than the P2 big improvement. the rear tires fit better than the P2 and for the front 285 is the way to go .

Jim C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will the fronts work on an ACR (stocks are 295/30 and these are 285/35)? I'm going to have two sets of wheels/tires, one for the street and one for the track...

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
question I was recently told that the nitto invos run narrower than other brands. Does any one know if this is true / id mich pss runs wider?