Please Help, 98 GTS won't start.

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please Help, 98 GTS won\'t start.

Car has sat for a while, had to put a new battery in it,alarm is working properly. When I turn the key I don't here the fuel pump like I do in my 01, it just turns over.I checked the fuel pump fuse and relay they are ok. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Please Help, 98 GTS won\'t start.

You can try resynching the fob with the car, but symptoms sound more like a fuel pump problem. Try resynching it first. Hold down both buttons on fob until horn beeps then try to start again.

OP
OP

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Ulysses, I did that because I could not get the alarm to work, now the alarm works and the car still will not start.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here is something from a previous post that might help:
The following was posted by AviP, use search for "alarm" to see the orig. post.

Here is the reset sequence.
Step 1: Turn the ignition key from the OFF to ACC position 4 times as follows.
OFF-ACC-OFF-ACC-OFF-ACC-OFF-ACC-OFF.

Step 2: Open & close the following in any order so that you hear a single beep. Hood, driver door, passenger door, hatch
back.

Step 3: Press both buttons on the key fob until the car beeps.

That's it. The system is reset.

This procedure is useful in many situations, after removing a battery, charging a dead battery, etc.

OP
OP

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks again, I will try it tomorrow. Of coarse I will try not laugh as I am doing all that crazy stuff, but hay if it works I will be grateful.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Assuming that you have voltage at fuel pump, disconnect battery for 1/2 hr. and start over. If you don't have voltage to fuel pump, check smaller of the two wires coming off positive battery terminal for a fuse and be sure it's OK. Can also check automatic shutdown relay in PCM (lift off cover, see labels...it's the third relay going from front to back. There are other considerations, but it may take a phone call. (317-402-9013)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is a stupid suggestion, but here you go: I am babysitting a Viper with thick floor mats. They will jam up under the clutch pedal enough so that it won't trigger the start release (or whatever the heck it is called). The result is that the car won't start. Pull the mat out and it starts fine. This is on a '94. I don't think it even turns over when this happens, so this may not be the issue. Hopefully it will help somebody!

Chris