PLEASE HELP! JUST GOT A VIPER AND HAVING A PROBLEM!

two06vipers

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First off i'd like to say hello to everyone! I am new to the board. My name is Anthony Morrison I live in jackson,mississippi. I just purchased a 97 viper blue with white stripes. Its of course the GTS model. Anyway my fan relay keeps burning up! Of course this turns off the fan and causes the car to overheat. What could be causing this? also does anyone know if there is a modification you can do where you just hook the fan up to a manual switch inside the car instead of letting the temperature sensor turn it on? if so I think that would be a way around my problems......
please let me know
thanks!

OP
OP
T

two06vipers

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I see his fan kit that keeps the fan on when the engine is off but where is the kit that allows me to manually turn the fan on/off while driving? I was going to try to bypass the "wiring harness w/ temp sensor" turning the fan on/off based on the temp of the motor.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Similar to my problem. Search posts by me & see pics link under my avatar. I just wired it to spare location, same relay & everything & have been fine since.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As Big Medicine noted, he had to rewire the relay receptacle. After you check all the wiring, and if it's all OK, I sure wounder about the fan itself being "pre-terminal".

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome aboard my Blue & White brother! :2tu:

While you're in there, you might as well replace that fan module with an updated 99 fan module. Talk to JonB at partsrack.com. He should be able to set you up. Maybe even steer you in the right direction to correct your relay issue.

When I went to update my cooling system I ended up replacing the radiator, fan module, wiring harness, hoses, oil cooler.....see how easy it is to get carried away... :D

2827fluidynetwinfan2s-med.jpg

Congrats on your new ride! Post pics.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd take a look at the fan itself if you plan on keeping it.

The relays burning up is a sign that the fan is drawing too many amps.
Turn the fan by hand to make sure it isn't hitting anything and that it has nothing wrong with the bearings.

You might also check that the fuse that protects the circuit powering the fan, has the correct size fuse.

I would think that the fuse should blow before the relay would burn up.

If you are going to go aftermarket with a new fan and control, don't worry about the old one. Just change everything out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave