Poll: Daily Driver yes or no...

Is (one of) your Viper(s) a daily driver?

• I have an RT/10 daily driver

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I have a GTS daily driver

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • I do not drive (any of) my RT/10(s) daily

Votes: 56 32.2%
  • I do not drive (any of) my GTS(s) daily

Votes: 85 48.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My RT will be a DD as soon as somebody designs a glue-on piece (or two) of weather seal the solves the mirror/door leak on gen 1! .... (Let's get on it!!) I almost sank a few months ago while driving through a T-storm!!!!!! I need to keep a bucket in the thing! This is the only reason I've never put serious miles on my vipers! I'm not willing to accept the "well it's got no windows" excuse ... I know it can be solved, at least mostly....!!!!

geez!!!

- Jim

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My RT will be a DD as soon as somebody designs a glue-on piece (or two) of weather seal the solves the mirror/door leak on gen 1! .... (Let's get on it!!) I almost sank a few months ago while driving through a T-storm!!!!!! I need to keep a bucket in the thing! This is the only reason I've never put serious miles on my vipers! I'm not willing to accept the "well it's got no windows" excuse ... I know it can be solved, at least mostly....!!!!

geez!!!

- Jim

Door Mirror leak? I've got 4 sets of these Viper Door mirrors and none of them leak. Same mirrors as used on the Stealths.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well OK, the base is slightly longer on the Viper.

And the 91 Stealth R/T TT had remote dashboard adjustments for the mirrors which the Viper didn't get until ... about 2000? My 98 GTS didn't have any mirror adj on the dash. I don't even remember how I adjusted the mirrors on the 98. The switch in my 01 GTS does Look different than the 91 Stealth TT.

Ted

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The special weatherstrip is glued to the door, inwards the painted outer surface, on the forward edge of the door. When you close the door you can see it through the gap, just inwards of the mirror. It is a likely source for the door speaker drip.

It needs to be about 20% larger so it squishes and seals better.

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually we only have 37 votes to go, since they questions were set up for owners with more than one. The vote tally is 163, from 150 voters.

Instead of total posts, maybe it can list how many behind Dave.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The special weatherstrip is glued to the door, inwards the painted outer surface, on the forward edge of the door. When you close the door you can see it through the gap, just inwards of the mirror. It is a likely source for the door speaker drip.

It needs to be about 20% larger so it squishes and seals better.

Exactly!! The fit was better on my '95..... but still required some additional material. I think I may have the problem solved on my '94 now... I'm sure I'll find out soon enough!:confused:

I may have to change my vote......

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, we have 152 owners describing 165 cars (add up the votes.) Forum statistics claim

Members: 9,411
Active Members: 1,808

Do we have 1,808 Active Members on the forum, but only 152 Viper owners? If you're reading this, it only takes one click (per car) and it's totally confidential (won't tell Dave.)

While the GTS DDs have caught up to the RT DDs, it was a big surprise that RTs are even that popular for DDs. And we started at about 1/3 of all cars were DDs, dropped some but staying above 1/4.

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, you have "DP" wings. (Daily Poster)

But in the spirit of democracy (?!) as President of DD, I will grant you DD wings upon vote #201. I can feel it.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
  1. where is the windshield washer fluid reservoir and have you ever filled it?
  2. bought complete wiper arms or just changed rubber blades?
  3. replaced the 3M clear on the front of side sill?
  4. have you buffed the headlight lenses?
  5. worn a heel hole through the carpet?
  6. spent more on gas or parts?
  7. bought any underhood hoses that have hardened from age or heat?
  8. drive co-worker in to the "office" even once?
  9. Which number on the shift knob wears off first?
  10. has either foglight lens cracked?
  11. how many times has your rear view mirror been re-glued to the windshield?
  12. what is the longest trip made in your Viper?

Always a pleasure Tom.

1996 dodge viper shift knob :eBay Motors (item 250487815016 end time Sep-23-09 22:57:28 PDT)

DDPD (Double Daily Poster Dave)

sjtarro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
'01 GTS is NOT a DD, but isn't a garage queen either. Why?

- Usually use my 50mpg Yamaha FJR to commute (and it is faster than the GTS)
- Have several other DDs (truck, SUV) as well as couple of older MOPARs that need to see the road too
- Getting caught in the rain means lots of clean-up later

BUT....
those "reasons" don't hold up when it is Friday, weekends, or the need for speed.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I counted my RT/10 as a daily driver, although I don't actually drive it daily...to work for example. I have a vehicle provided to me for work, so I don't drive any of my personal vehicles often. Like the above post, I use my motorcycle, 09 Concours 1400, for some trips, my Hummer for the ones that I need to carry things, and the Viper for most of my driving around. I average about 3k miles a year for each.

By the way, the Viper is a great vehicle for Costco shopping. It usually limits my spending, except the one time I bought a pressure washer forgetting what I drove that day. I managed to get it home in the front seat. Good thing I had the top off that day.

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need votes to cover 18 more cars. Current summary says:

1. The most popular DD is an RT/10!
  2. The most popular non-DD is a GTS. An unexpected result, to me anyway!
  3. About a quarter of all Vipers are Daily Drivers.
  4. Viper owner participation in polls is poor. We had more voters in the "least desirable color" poll. *

*Although if you take away the 156 votes disliking Emerald Pearl Green, which I won't take as a personal attack, then more people voted in the DD poll. The only other poll with more votes was Dave's splitter design poll with about 6,600,000 votes.

DeLViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No daily drive for my RT/10, only on the weekends, and I love my emerald green, not too many like it on the road, get more stares then most rides..

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I DD my 1995 for 61,000 miles. Orlando, Maui, Oahu, and CA. Seen my share of down pours! No Leaks! Just some Home Depot black weatherstrip here and there.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You should have let us vote two or three times Tom. You would have gotten a much higher response.

If a DD HAS to be driven in bad weather (?) I'd be forced to retract my GTS DD vote.

Ted

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Final results can be interpreted this way:
  1. More RT/10s are DDs than GTSs (26>21)
  2. More GTSs than RT/10s are not DDs (85>56) reiterating #1
  3. About a quarter of Vipers are DDs. ({26+21}/{26+21+56+85})
  4. About 30% of RT/10s are DDs (26/{26+56})
  5. About 20% of GTSs are DDs (21/{21+85})
  6. Dave's Viper is a DD only with special circumstances
Thanks to all those that participated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper