Power window issues on '96 GTX

Solid Lifters

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meant to type GTS. Since it's been sitting for about a year the power windows don't do anything in either direction. I installed a new battery and as far as I know the windows were working before, but I don't remember trying them recently at all. Simple fix of a fuse or relay somewhere
or does it have to go to the dealer?

71firebird400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the windows aren't working- do the signal lights work? Is the airbag light on? Does the blower motor work? All of these circuits are fed through the ignition switch which can sometimes make intermittent connection and cause all of the circuits to act bizarre. Try "jiggling" the key in the "Run" position to see if there's any difference.

If not, I'd check for power at the power window circuit breaker (there is no fuse). If power exists at the circuit breaker then I'd check for it at the power window switch. Here are the wiring diagrams-

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
S

Solid Lifters

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you VERY MUCH. That should give me something to work with this afternoon. This is an under 5K mile car that my business partner bought new in '96 and I bought 3 or 4 years later. We keep the battery charged (although the battery tender failed me on the last one) and fresh

OP
OP
S

Solid Lifters

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No blower, turn signals or windows. Jiggling key in ignition switch made no difference. Air bag light came on with switch in run position. So are you saying that it's probably the ignition switch. Would I expect a sudden failure in a car that's been sitting in storage? Thanks again.

71firebird400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If none of that is working then it is either Fuse 12 (30 Amp) or the ignition switch itself. Check the fuse first, if it's good then it is likely the switch. The ignition switch is pretty simple to swap- you just need to remove the column adjust stalk, the plastic cover under the steering column and the plastic shroud around the steering column. The only special tool you'll need is a anti-tamper Torx bit (the entire set can be had at most hardware stores for around $15). The ignition switch is P/N 56021346 and can be found aftermarket for around $35 and the OEM Dodge part is around $100.

Hopefully it's just the fuse! But, again, it's not a hard job to swap the ignition switch.

OP
OP
S

Solid Lifters

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you again. I've got anti tamper torx. I don't even know where the fuse panel is on this car. I'll find it tomorrow. Basically I'm a gearhead and electricity baffles me. As an example, most of my ole' cars are Chevy's. I always put all new wiring harnesses in my cars when I do 'em just to be safe. I put the whole set in my '70 Chevelle last year and can't get the turn signal indicators to go out. They blink as they should, but when the signal is turned off they stay lit. All the lights work properly. Starting somewhere back there GM started using a big printed circuit that covers the whole back of the cluster. I've replaced that too. I would think it's a ground issue, but have been back through every ground around the lights and the harnesses. The harness manufacturer that I always buy from is mystified also. The point in all this bored ramble is that I have some kind of curse when it comes to electricals and if anything bizarre that nobody's ever heard of is going to happen somewhere, it'll be on one of my cars. Thanks again for the help.

71firebird400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fuse panel is near the brake master cylinder, under the hood, on the driver side. Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss