Prevention steps for side sill problems

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck and JonB, In reading the numerous posts on side sill bubbling, corrosion and discoloration you two have provided excellent advice. I hope I haven't offended others but your names stick out in the posts as being extremely knowledgeable. I need to clear up a few things that I do not believe are covered in the responses.

I have a 95 Viper with now 1900 miles. I have no bubbling but do not want to wait until I do to address. I need a plan to prevent and I would assume everyone would do this. I'll break down the problem in 3 topics.

1. Insulation - I plan to replace with Dan Cragin's new thermal insulation kit (Viper Tunnel) as soon as he releases it (next week). I plan to glue it with the appropriate product but I'll wait to decide what to use based on what comes with Dan's kit. I will spray the inside with VHT 1500 also and use white if it is available.

2. Rivits - TSB 23-59-97 says corrosion can be found around the rivits. JonB explains road film, salts and dust...hot and cool which starts bi-metal corrosion. Is the issue that the rivits are made of a different metal than the rockers? Can they be replaced with different rivits to stop the problem? I obviously won't need the rivits if I glue the new insulation but what about the two visible from top that show when you lift the hood? Is there something to put there that looks original since I will have holes assuming replacement rivits cannot be used?

3. Attachment screws - TSB also says corrosion around these but doesn't explain if different screws are used of a different metal when rockers are re-installed. If so, where can they be purchased?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96