Price range for Salvaged Viper

dar1327

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my 98 Viper GTS that I purchased a little under 4 weeks ago got totaled after owning it 3 days here's the story & pics http://www.viperalley.com/forum/vipe...en-5-days.html . I'm debating if I should fix it or just sell it the way it is or fix it up then sell it. What price range do you thing I can get fixed & just the way it is now. I purchased it from the original owner with all the paperwork and it's completely stock with 55k miles. The car starts up and runs just fine. There's no frame damaged from the front. The car was going under 15mph when it hit the street pole.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
link doesn't work

i think salvage will cost you $5-10k once fixed (based on today's prices) depending on what was damaged, how it was fixed, and how well you document the process

could make someone a fine driver or track car

let us know what you decide

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you really need to call jonB at partsrack.com for hi help in this. he has helped a lot of guys with this kind of stuff.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
99% of the time fixing up a severely wrecked Viper causes the buyer to invest more in it than he will ever recoup. Keep in mind it will be sold as a salvaged car and many Banks will not even finance it. A good track car or selling off the parts usually is a better idea.

OP
OP
D

dar1327

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ins company paid out $34,700 buy back was $10k I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to fix it our sell it.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ins company paid out $34,700 buy back was $10k I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to fix it our sell it.

So, the insurance company paid you $34.7k, and then gave you the option to buy it back for $10k? If that's the case, I'd buy it back and part it out if most of the parts are still OK. I'm guessing your hood is toast, and that's the biggest ticket item. But, if the engine, tranny, suspension, side sills, doors, rear quarters, wheels/tires are all still good, you could easily part it out for $20k if you're willing to deal with the hassle. Or, you could get another Gen II and use this one for parts as you break other stuff. Or, for a $10k investment, you could have the starting point for a really fun track car that you're not too worried about crashing again (that's the biggest deterrent to having fun on the track).

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There's a thread for a 99GTS that has only 2 minor paint bubbles and some nice upgrades (exhaust, cats, rear brakes) that is having difficulty selling at $28,500. If the market is that depressed then you could keep the car for yourself and fix it up resulting in a "previously wrecked viper" that cost you more than $20,000?

I am going on the above prices as there's no pic and if you're not an Alley member you can't use the link. JonB has acess to several used hoods and since a color change hood paint is probably $3500 (or much higher) with stripes JonB may find you one the right color. Since the hood is a $18,000US (unpainted) item you might want to find out how much parts are worth, then how much it cost for inspection and re-registration? As stated, usually more than it's worth because even fresh paint scares people that own a Viper and can't trace the history. I'd guess that a wrecked/repaired GTS would have trouble getting $20,000 right now.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....I'd guess that a wrecked/repaired GTS would have trouble getting $20,000 right now.

if you're right ted, that would be a shame, a fine driver w/ gen2 lines if fixed properly would return many times the $20k in fun vs. salvage title "risk"

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is a shame, but Vipers seeem to be more sensitive to damages than nearly any other car for some reason. Too many "fixed it in my backyard" and theives that don'r get the damaged cars fixed properly has made people really scared to buy re-titled cars. Hence the low prices. The market doesn't seem to be picking up as well as the news says the Housing market is doing?

I thought that Viper sales would go up because the plant is shutting down. Still waiting though.

Ted

lilgookiemonsta

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a salvaged Viper but I don't plan on ever selling her! Bought with 13,700 miles and I've put over 3000 miles on her in the past 3 weeks. Had her checked out before purchase and everything's ok! In my opinion, get her fixed up. She's just gonna be that much more valuable to you in the long run... :)

V

Venomiss

You can always call Paul Scharf from Don Scharf Automotive if you are not going to keep it.
He buys Viper wrecks all the time.:)