Problems with "Advanced Search"

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have been using and recommending the SEARCH functions for 13+ years. However, this newest iteration of the site is a weak search engine at best.....or I am doing something waaaay wrong. One issue:

How do I look for all posts by an individual screenname, no keywords specified, for a designated period. For example, when I try to pull up all posts under my own name for one month, the results are only 7 posts. But in fact I have made over 120. I also tried some other names of higher-volume posters, and get only a small fraction of their posts. Examples: If I search all posts by 1TONY1 I only get 6 total posts ! Same problem with V10SPEEDLOVER and others.

I have also tried filtering "All Types" and "FORUMS" with the same piddly results.

I did ask a site moderator his opinion, but he says he can see 120+ of my posts with the same search parameters.

WHASSUP? Thanks Volunteers

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score
I just increased the # of results per page to 50, and now I can see 220 posts by you.

I have no idea how the latest version of vBulletin determines which ones to return, as it has some sort of scoring system in place for threads which assigns a weight to the thread and then returns the highest X results.

The new system seems to be different/enhanced, and there isn't much I can do about it without completely re-writing it. The vBulletin tech support forums show the exact same behavior so it appears that is the direction they are heading towards.

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Lets say I want to see what MARV S {for example} has posted in the past 6 mos... I cannot ?

And in Advanced Search you can see that I made 220 posts, but I can only see 7 ? I must be doing something wrong?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get a lot of results:

Advance Search, Single Content Type
User Name: JonB - PartsRack
Search All Open Forums - Also Search Child Forums
Find Posts: A Month Ago and Newer

or see attached screen shot, click to enlarge

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
KEYWORD: "SINGLE CONTENT TYPE" was the solution, thanks.

In my own defense, selecting that option was counter-intuitive to me, because I did NOT want a 'single content.' I wanted EVERYTHING that was posted within the time frame. In fact I had not ever chosen ANY content type, just searcehe by whatever the default is. Strange choice of the opposite of what I want to get me what I want.

NOW, my searching is much more productive, THANKS.

JonB~~~~:<~

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, user error aside :D, Jon did find an issue with the multiple content search. I can replicate his original result. It seems, to me, that either there's a bug with the multiple content search or perhaps an index is out of date. :dunno: "If it's posted in or on a forum, Single Content Search is your answer!"

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have noticed that "Stuff I know exists" cannot be found. And I dont know why. Stuff I wrote as late as 2007 is 'missing' altho it was there for years. Something has changed with searchability, but Im too dumb to see/know the how-why.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree (not that you're dumb) but I just searched and the earliest posts I can find from you are from August 2010. If I go into the "RT/10 & GTS Discussions" forum and use the "Search this Forum" link using "JonB" I can find posts from you back to March of 2007. So something is indeed up with the searching and not necessarily operator error, in this case. Hopefully Don will have some answers soon.

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score
Ya know..............

Saying "doctor doctor it hurts when I do this" doesn't really help in tracking down the issue.

So... What exactly are you searching for, and exactly how are the controls set on the search screen?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I laid it out in an earlier post below and there's a screenshot attached in the post, Doctor. :D To reproduce Jon's latest problem, I took off the date filter and the results only went back to 8/2010 while in Advanced Search->Single Content Type.

Also Doctor, I have this burning sensation between my toes. :rolaugh:

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score
No, he's now changed his searching criteria, thus I need to know what he's putting in.

As far as your toes, stop putting them into places they should not be!

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ya know..............

Saying "doctor doctor it hurts when I do this" doesn't really help in tracking down the issue.

So... What exactly are you searching for, and exactly how are the controls set on the search screen?

A thread I wrote on BURPING YOUR VIPER is gone..

For another example, a Long thread on the 2007 ASC Bankrupcy and parts aquistion, complete with photos, was there for 3 years. Posted in Aug-Sept 2007. Several pages of posts. From time to time I would refer owners to the thread. It was also published in SoCal VCA and NoTex VCA newsletters. But now it is gone.... The title of the thread was "At Last It Can Be Told..."

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
[h=2]-Runnr, at least Im not crazy...that is my original thread. But when I serach I get nothing, and when I try that link I get:

Message[/h]JonB - PartsRack, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

When I try that link on what I wrote I get:

[h=2]Message[/h]JonB - PartsRack, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.