Problems with clutch hydraulic

ike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After testing the car on track for some short stints the clutch got softer and softer until it did not work completely.

Today we checked again.

First the clutch was working, not very well, but it was working.

After about 10 minutes with running engine it was the same problem again.

The clutch line goes up in an angle of about 10° to the master cylinder.
It is near the exhaust manifold, so that it gets warm or hot, but not too much.

Any idea, what could be reason or solution?

VJR3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Change the clutch fluid w/ high temp brake fluid............Motul 660 is what I use

I thought about doing a heat resistant sleeve to slip over the line, but I think fresh fluid would suffice

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change the slave cylinder......happened to me one time at the track....

=ike;3149568]After testing the car on track for some short stints the clutch got softer and softer until it did not work completely.

Today we checked again.

First the clutch was working, not very well, but it was working.

After about 10 minutes with running engine it was the same problem again.

The clutch line goes up in an angle of about 10° to the master cylinder.
It is near the exhaust manifold, so that it gets warm or hot, but not too much.

Any idea, what could be reason or solution?[/QUOTE]

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Really need more info to help.

Start by bleeding the clutch slave unit. Pretty straight forward. I use a vacuum pump on the bleeder at the bellhousing. Use good fluid, like Motul 600 or better.

If you bleed it correctly and still have problems, change the slave as above.

D

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you losing fluid from your clutch hydraulic system? Maybe slave cylinder, maybe master? Have you looked for any leaks?

OP
OP
I

ike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you losing fluid from your clutch hydraulic system? Maybe slave cylinder, maybe master? Have you looked for any leaks?
Thank you all for the replies.

Did not see any leaks but the brake fluid was a little bit low.

The master cylinder is OK.
Will check with the endoscope camera on Monday, if there is any leaking inside.

I hope the slave cylinder is still OK.
To change it we would have to take out the engine again. :omg:

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No...you do not have to take the engine out to replace the slave cyclinder.......just the trans...to expose the clutch, pressure plate, etc...while there look at the pressure plate and flywheel for any signs of needing replacement and I always replace the throwout bearing at this point....why not? cheap to buy and then you always know it is new.....why have to go back another day to get to those areas when you are already there? I always change the flywheels to aftermarket aluminum also......and if you have to replace clutch and pressure plate, I always upgrade to alot better aftermarket and love the stronger, better clutch feel.....:rolleyes: :eater: :headbang:

Thank you all for the replies.

Did not see any leaks but the brake fluid was a little bit low.

The master cylinder is OK.
Will check with the endoscope camera on Monday, if there is any leaking inside.

I hope the slave cylinder is still OK.
To change it we would have to take out the engine again. :omg:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a very common problem on Gen 4s. Usually just a fluid change to Motul 600 or 660 will solve the problem. Factory techs told my local Viper tech that the factory put in Dot 3 when they should have used Dot 4. Change the fluid and I'd bet your problem disappears. I have had this problem on my 2008 Vert with only 500 miles on it and on my 2009 ACR. Fluid change and proper bleeding fixed both. Now I change the fluid in my ACR (which I track) often.

OP
OP
I

ike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No...you do not have to take the engine out to replace the slave cyclinder.......just the trans...to expose the clutch, pressure plate, etc...while there look at the pressure plate and flywheel for any signs of needing replacement and I always replace the throwout bearing at this point....why not? cheap to buy and then you always know it is new.....why have to go back another day to get to those areas when you are already there? I always change the flywheels to aftermarket aluminum also......and if you have to replace clutch and pressure plate, I always upgrade to alot better aftermarket and love the stronger, better clutch feel.....:rolleyes: :eater: :headbang:
Thank you for the detailed information.
If I have to change the slave cylinder, I will also change everything else. Good idea. :2tu:

But I suspect, that it is not possible to get the gearbox out separately, as there is not so much space in the Z4.
Of course we will try this first.

Could you tell me a good supplier for fly wheel and clutch?
We do not have any here in Germany.

OP
OP
I

ike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a very common problem on Gen 4s. Usually just a fluid change to Motul 600 or 660 will solve the problem. Factory techs told my local Viper tech that the factory put in Dot 3 when they should have used Dot 4. Change the fluid and I'd bet your problem disappears. I have had this problem on my 2008 Vert with only 500 miles on it and on my 2009 ACR. Fluid change and proper bleeding fixed both. Now I change the fluid in my ACR (which I track) often.
Thank you.
Always the straight tip :headbang:

I will do so this week and hope it will fix the problem.

Otherwise take out and change everything, like Roysviper said.

V

Venomiss

Thank you for the detailed information.
If I have to change the slave cylinder, I will also change everything else. Good idea. :2tu:

But I suspect, that it is not possible to get the gearbox out separately, as there is not so much space in the Z4.

We do not have any here in Germany.

http://www.mintgen-motorsport.de/cms/de/home/index.php?PHPSESSID=6bpkpphm3f688igd1vgp99cd67
Micheal Mintgen and tell him the VCA says hello.

Also you might want to talk with the two Viper Club of America German regions if you haven't already.
Send an email to [email protected] and the VCA will send you the contact information if you are interested.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[QUO

Hey.....I always bUY the SPEC 3+ clutch pressure plate and aluminium flywheel.....I really like their product....you will too. You can order from them directly on their website.....:headbang::2tu:

TE=ike;3149982]Thank you for the detailed information.

We do not have any here in Germany.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

ike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
I

ike