Proper use of orbital buffer? search button no help.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Detail pros--

I've never used an orbital before now. Exactly what are the steps for maximum buffage and minimum damage?

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try waxing by hand in a up and down motion, to prevent swirl marks, or try a small location first. I learned the hard way in the middle of the hood.

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you use a buffer to wax the car. 1. Make sure your only
using wax or polish(make sure there is no listing for abrasives
or compounding ingredients, or scratch repair). 2. Make sure
you keep moving and check surface occasionally for heat(early
indication of too much friction. 3. Don't apply pressure-see#2
4. check pad often
I don't have a buffer, but they can be a handy time, and muscle,
saver, as long as your not the compulsive/obsessive type.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While far from an expert on the subject, I used to own a detail shop that had contracts with our local dealers for new and used car preps as well as off the street customers with their messes (gallon of oil based dried paint from hood to trunk was interesting).

My opinion is to avoid them, I had an industrial Black and Decker unit that could eat thru thin paint (corners or even curved areas) in seconds with a 100% non-abrasive wax.
Worse yet the concentric circles are imbedded into the clearcoat, your scratching the clear and providing fine lines that allow sunlight to refract off the lines of the car and these lines are easily visible. (ever notice a black new car owned by a non-car owner <notice gender neutral> on sunny day, paint can be a disaster in one wash).

I wax by hand in a front to back action, when hitting a new area, pull off the car and rehit to the new area, the dragging from one spot to another other than horizontal is where the trouble occurs.

The true test is under florescent lighting, used by all auto manufacturers in their paint deck inspection areas. (of course after noticing problems under florescent lighting, they guess if the problem will show up under incandescent to avoid the repair $$$$$- but that's another story!)

Then again, I've been know to wax gas tanks, inside of gas tank doors (where applicable), as well as all glass including windshield and headlights. Have yet to wash my car without treating the leather seats, so dismiss all of the above as pure obsessive compulsive with no bouts of remission.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan,

Eating through paint? You must have been using a machine buffer, not an orbital. Go to Autopia to have ALL you questions answered. It is to detailers, what the VCA website is to Viper owners. According to the experts, an orbital 'should not' be able to generate enough heat to damage of wear away paint. Now a machine buffer (spins in a perfect circle), can generate a lot of heat. Machine buffers should be left to the professionals.

Later

P.S. - It is a given at Autopia that the Porter Cable model 7336SP is the best orbital buffer. And I will save you time by telling you Lowe's has the best deal, at $109 bucks. You then will have to purchase pads. Click here http://www.properautocare.com/porcabackit.html for another $60. $170 bucks and your on the way to perfection. You'll have to decide for yourself on polishes. Many different opinions on the Autopia website.

P.S.S. - OK, here are my steps: 1. Wash entire car with soap (Dawn dishwashing liquid) and water. This removes any old waxes. 2. Clay bar until surface is perfectly smooth. 3. 3M Swirl Mark Remover until surface is swirl free. 4. Dawn wash again, and inspect make sure swirl free. 5. Go through the Zaino process, and keep car looking perfect with occasional Zaino coats.

These step will take the better part of your Saturday, but after that your car will only need 1 coat of Zaino when needed. On a side note, the key to this process is the clay and 3M SMR. Once the car is smooth and swirl free, you can apply many different polished/waxes depending on your personal tastes. (Refer to Autopia).

Hope this helps.... Oh yeah, Zaino can be applied by hand or orbital. Not much difference. But the 3M SMR is MUCH more effective with the orbital, and way faster.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out this little jewel... 4" Wen Orbital Waxer ...I have one and really love it...applies wax or glaze evenly and quickly...I only recommend the BLUE foam polishing pads (for applying wax and glaze) and the WHITE foam finishing pads (for removing wax and glaze) Buy 'em 10 at a time!...Only problem is that additional batteries are back ordered for about another month...but a fully charged battery last about an hour, plenty of time to apply and remove one coat of polish...Also if you aren't using MicoFiber towels, just MUST give them a try...

OP
OP
T

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay...

In absense of any answers before I went home last night, (and thanks to all who gave advice above!!!) I tried it on two places on the car.

Only tried the terrycloth "polishing" bonnet.

It didn't seem to remove the Zaino as well as my cotton T-shirt front-to-back method, and I detected swirly scratches under the flourescents. I finished the car with the T-shirt.

I'll consult all the advice above and perhaps try again with some better materials.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the Porter Cable orbital buffer with a foam pad with great results (applying 3M products to remove swirl marks on my black RT/10). It works very well. I'm careful when I get close to edges.

I use a back and forth motion (overlapping) for a 2ft. by 2ft. area and then go over the same area with an up and down motion (overlapping) and repeat as necessary.

Since you are asking about applying wax (the stuff I was using was more aggressive than wax), I don't see a problem with it. But I agree with Joseph--I haven't found anything that polishes and shines better than Zaino which doesn't require buffing at all.

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, There were at least two posts above that told you not to
use the terry towel pad... guess what, it scratches...

Use the foam pad... use the foam pad.... use the foam pad

Ok enough of that

Oh, by the way, did I forget to tell you, use the foam pad

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would avoid the buffer, I think the finish looks a little better, but it will end up wrecking your paint job in the end. My brother destroyed his Porche paint job in about 4 years from using the buffer. I think you would have to be stupid to use one, especially since Zaino give a great shine (just as good if you ask me).

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey onerare,

I only have a few swirlmarks likely only noticeable to me. Can I use the 3M swirlmark remover by hand in limited places, or do you have do do the entire car with the orbital to maintain consistency?

Also, I can't believe Todd is using a Tee shirt with the Zaino on his car!
nono.gif
100% cotton towels with the borders and selvages removed only!!!!!!!!
smile.gif

RaceDeck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a buffer on my boat, my Excursion and my wife' Audi allroad Qautro TT---but I would never use it on my GTS...I do it by hand and there in not one swirl mark on the entire car. I use the Zaino Product line and I am very happy with it, despite the amount of effort it takes.....IF you could see the Z06 down the street from me after this guy went out and bough a $350.00 buffer...Swirls everywhere

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BigsViper,

I would first try repeated coats of Z5 on the swirl areas. If that can't fill them, then try 3M SMR. Yes, you can use it by hand, but the Porter-Cable works much better. Keep in mind, where you apply the 3M SMR, it will (I think) remove the previous coats of Zaino. I personally would not do the whole car, if you only have a couple of swirl marks. Try repeated hand applications of Z5, if that cannot fill the swirls, try 3M SMR by hand - wash with Z7 - reapply a couple coats of Zaino in the areas you applied 3M SMR.

P.S. - Or you could just call Sal Zaino for his advice.