Prospective Owner Seeks Advice

MJ71

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

Potential 1st time buyer here who knows little but learned alot from this site in the last few days. I have option to buy 96 RT/10 and am looking for some advice. Has 46K miles, clean exterior, interior and engine look like a daily driver would, some dirt/wear and paint flaked off the valve covers. Recent coolant/oil leak repairs and cracked frame recall completed. Missing sport bar pad and door handle surrounds. With unknown brand hardtop and canvas? slider windows. One window slides open at hiway speed by itself.. missing some clips or something? A/C not working but unknown why. I'm able to get it for under $30K, am I in the right ballpark? Everything else I see is less miles and more bucks so not sure. Should missing parts concern me? Any advice you have would be awesome. Hope to be a full-fledged member soon! Great site!!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MJ71

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Asking price is $28K but he is willing to deal some because of the issues. I might get $27K. I saw the one you mentioned also. The one I'm looking at is not far from my home.

V

Venomiss

Asking price is $28K but he is willing to deal some because of the issues. I might get $27K. I saw the one you mentioned also. The one I'm looking at is not far from my home.

Tires?
Do you work on cars or pay a mechanic?
Have Viper tech take a look at it?

Contact others in your area for advice maybe?

Welcome to the VCA MN website!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sportsbar pad and door handle surrounds are $$. Lemme rephrase, the sportsbar pad is big $$. Definitely try to find those pieces used ( Online Shopping - Home ) and save yourself some money. The Gen 1 door handle surrounds are getting very hard to find last I heard. Thats weird about the window, there's no clips inside that I know of. Sounds like the slider part has been replaced with a thinner piece of plastic causing it to slide around. AC could just be a leak. I know a couple guys who recharge theirs every summer to keep it cold. Mid-high $20k's sounds right. What color is the car?

OP
OP
M

MJ71

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Solid red, no stripes. Also has GTS wheels, 5-spoke, don't know the year. The A/C was charged yesterday and works so must just be a leak. Car was driven several hundred miles cross country recently so reliability of drivetrain appears solid. Seller is reliable he just doesn't know the car, quick turn around deal. I sourced a sport bar pad for $1150 plus freight. Two owners ago has the door handle surround but not sure if he'll give it up. Was supposed to be given to the guy who has the car now. Viperparts Larry says he has one, don't know $ yet. I wish I new the brand of windows. They look like factory ones but the factory ones I've seen don't have the slider window.

I think the car would clean up nice just wondering if I'll be upside down on it after the parts are replaced. Carfax shows it bounced from dealer to dealer in California.

I know its hard for anyone to tell me if its the right deal, just wondering mostly if I"m in the ballpark + or -. So far the No's have it:) Thanks for the advice.

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds way high to me, especially when there are lower priced examples available from members here that don't need all that work. Not to mention a member's car more than likely recieved better care than it sounds like this one has. Just my $.02

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not MY choice, but if that's all the money you've got to spend $27 sounds OK to me.

Personally, I'd spend more and buy a better one.

Ted

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Top will run you some big money as well.

I have a sports bar pad. Just waiting for the right offer to sell it. It's my spare and I hate to part hard to find spares...

Make sure the head gasket has been done with the right gasket. Metal, not paper.

I also have the door surround. Not sure what they go for these days. Last I heard they were out of stock.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you have it inspected by a qualified Viper tech? What is it's maintenance history? If you have the Vin#, give Chuck Tator at Tator's Dodge a call and he can run the history for you. How old are the tires?

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recommend you call Michael Nouri @ XVipers. He will find the right Viper for you at the right price. That way you can avoid the unknowns! The unknown can cost big money and I'm sure that is something you don't want.

Here is a link to Xvipers

XVIPERS INC

OP
OP
M

MJ71

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know of a tech or other in Sioux Falls, SD who could inspect the car for me?

OP
OP
M

MJ71

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I also talked to Chuck at Tator's like you suggested and he is everything everyone says he is and more. This car is going to be a pass. This is a great organization.:2tu: