Question about 851RWHP Doug Levin Supercharged Viper ???

TomMiriViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not trying to start a flame war but how do you guys think Doug's personal SC car would match up to the HMS TT? John Hennessey says he would race anybody from a 60 mph roll. Turbos are supposed to make more power in the first place so I would guess an N20 shot on a "non-intercooled SC car" would be a good match for a fast intercooled TT car?

????,
Tom

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LT-5@redline:

turbocharging can and will always make more power than an SC system,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, if that's true then I'm still wondering why John Force and the others run that biga$$ supercharger on their cars? Imagine coming up on one of those things on the street!

OP
OP
M

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevin that's some good information. Much of the power being made is accredited to nitromethane on Top Fuel and Funny cars.

Max Moran

Reaction score
As a dedicated "Forced induction facility" I'm always in search of the best means of street performance (for all intensive purposes) for our beloved Vipers. I would agree for "ultimate power" turbo's would offer a higher degree of maximum horsepower. I want to be careful to choose my words WISELY and NOT downplay the use of turbo's. The reason I've chosen thus far to utilize superchargers (at least for the present time) is the predictability of reliable power control and output for street/strip performance. As reality has it, a supercharged Viper with over 750 rear wheel horsepower is MORE than enough for the "average" or "not so average" race fan. That HP number is more on the conservative side. And as many of you know, I run what I offer on my own snake and I'm pleased to say I enjoy it very much!

Nonetheless, I'll take any means of forced induction to continue the fun that keeps us all happy - Both superchargers and turbos!

Best regards and thanks for reading,
Doug
smile.gif

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the former owner of one of those pretty-darn-fast turbo cars ( my old Supra ), I can attest that big turbo + big power does not make a very good streetcar at all. The nonlinear powerband and high HP means you have your choice of lag or wheelspin at anything resembling street speeds. Hennessey's got the right approach with his turbo car, using smallish (for an 8L, anyway) turbos and going for usable power rather than insane top-end.
For my money, I wanted the predictability and driveability of a pure supercharged application, and was willing to sacrifice a couple hundred RWHP on the top end to get it. Now if we could only squeeze one of those big ATI F-4SC's under the hood...
smile.gif

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the supercharger system that Doug installed on Scott's car.

You must be registered for see images

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is SWEET looking!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sean Roe:
Here are some pictures of the supercharger system that Doug installed on Scott's car.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave