Question about clay bar, polish and waxing?

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My question is how cold is to cold to do this. I want to get an early jump on getting my car ready for the spring and want to clay, polish and wax it. I bought it last year and never got around to it, so i am wanting to do it now. The car is in my garage and its about 10 (50) degrees in there. Is this to cold to aply these steps or no??

:can1:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with claying when it is cold is that the clay is very hard to kneed. Other than that, it won't affect the performance. I try and stay above 50 degrees myself, as the cold will affect your motivation and cause you to do a half *** job. Any polish will be okay at that temp but it will take your wax quite a bit of time to dry.

OP
OP
J

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Junkman. I might put some heat on out there and warm it up a bit more. And about motivation, it is my motivation.
Thanks.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the product i use says the surface needs to be 50 degrees or more and installation it says
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular]This MUST BE DONE in a minimum temperature of 75ºF for optimum results[/FONT]

OP
OP
J

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Plumcrazy. I think im going out this weekend to get some stuff. Looks like i might have to turn the heat up in the garage a little more then i thought.
Thanks again

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When it's cold out, I fill my wash bucket with 1oz Adam's Car Shampoo and a few inches of HOT water. I throw the clay in the water/shampoo and use it as lube. This also helps to soften the clay. Just did my truck a few weeks ago and it worked great.

One other thing I do is keep the bucket directly under me. Remember, anytime the clay hits the ground, it's trash! The bucket has saved me a ton of clay!