Question for the Michigan fellas

MULE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last June (I think) I was at Michigan Int'l Speedway for the NASCAR race. This was before I bought my viper in the fall. There had to be 50 vipers there divided in groups by color. Now that I have a viper and plan to attend that race again, can I participate in this event? I thought I heard someone say they were doing parade laps on the track. Can anyone provide some info?

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was there very early in the morning, with the cold nasty weather, long wait and slow speed limits during the lap. :( And still managed to have a great time hanging out with friends as well as meeting other friendly VCA members for the first time! :D
Someone here should know something about it. Last year it was Sirus Sat. Radio that sponsored the Parade Lap, not sure if they are doing it again. Was more like 85+ Vipers, and there was a registration process that took place before they notified everyone that took place. So I would think if they are doing it again, it would be getting lined up here very soon!

I believe you had to be a VCA member to be involved also. You might just want to call the VCA headquarters and ask them.

Congrats on you Viper purchase!! :usa: :usa:

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in the parade lap too. Not sure if they'll do something like this again or not though. It was fun even if it was only one lap. I was the very last Viper on the parade lap (got there a little late) and the CEO of DCX was in the lead car with a new SRT-10. Some souped up semi truck was behind me and it was a little disheartening when I look in the rear view mirror and seeing him coming at me sideways. Great fun.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was there as well Mule, and met Casey at the event, and hang out with Sean above regularly, it was a cool event, made better by meeting a slew of Viper fiends like ourselves.

If it comes up again I am in.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was fun! It would have been more fun at 150 mph instead of maybe 40 mph. But nice to hangout w/ a lot of like minded people, w/ great taste in cars. LOL

OP
OP
M

MULE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So who organized this last year? If not Michigan maybe they
do this type of thing at other tracks. I would be willing to drive a little bit to do a lap in front 100k NASCAR fans.
Are you serious about the 40mph SylvanSRT? Just go 20mph for half a lap, get some space between the guy in front of you and then nail it down the back. The fans would love it.
Then maybe some donuts on the finish line....

I won't be allowed to register for this thing now will I. I've said too much. :)

S

SUN RA KAT

Do you get to watch the NASCAR race afterwards for free or do they send you home?

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You got free grandstand seats that were actually pretty good. Also very serious about the slow speed there was 90-100 viper there circling the track and by the time the first car on were pulling off the last cars were getting started. There were a lot of vehicles on the track also, non viper (pick-ups and a semi). Ive been to the track w/ my miata and the miata club and we've done parade laps in the manner you discuss Mule. I had the miata flat out on MIS twice its a blast, but the perception of speed is low due to the good conditions.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you serious about the 40mph SylvanSRT? Just go 20mph for half a lap, get some space between the guy in front of you and then nail it down the back. The fans would love it.
Then maybe some donuts on the finish line....

I was the last car in the lap as I said and wasn't paying attention when it was time to go so I think I got up to about 100 for a short time trying to catch up with the back of the pack with the souped up semi truck hot on my butt. Then it was stop and go stop and go. Let a little room between me and Ryan to go a little faster from time to time when I could. Then it was all over before you knew it. They said we couldn't do burnouts, but some of us did. I ain't telling who. ;)

OP
OP
M

MULE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how did you guys register last year? Who did you contact?
I noticed after the parade lap the cars were put in a roped off "corall", did anyone have any problems with people tampering with the car? Were they guarded? A lot of alcohol is consumed at these races, and I might be a little concerned about leaving the car unattended.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a registration process through Viper Headquarters. They more or less wanted to check the Colors and exterior presentation of the Vipers that wanted to participate, and they had a limited number of spots available.
I didn't have any problems at all, and I didn't hear of anyone who did. We sure did get a lot of attention though, but it was all Positive! :D
Got a pair of tickets(good seats too!), and they did have security watching the Snake Pit for those who did stay for the race!

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recall the event was on Father's Day, so I thought what the heck I'll bring out the old man (52 years old).

He isn't into performance cars nor Nascar, even though he had a sweet 69 Z28 stick with nearing 400 horse (mom filled the interior with rocks during a teenage dispute- and then still married her and had me, what was he thinking???hahah).

Into about Lap 10 of the race I said pops, let me know when your bored and we will take off.

Lap 12, uhhh, I've had enough, ready to go?

Classic, still bug him about that one.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Midwest Zone Rendezvous - Chelsea, MI - August 1-3, 2003

Sounds like MIR to me...In addition to the autocross, I am hoping there will be drags too...so I can pull Ryan a time or two... :cool:

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Midwest Zone Rendezvous - Chelsea, MI - August 1-3, 2003

Sounds like MIR to me...In addition to the autocross, I am hoping there will be drags too...so I can pull Ryan a time or two... :cool:

Hmmm, didn't know about the Region Rendezvous over here. Must be at the Chelsea Proving Grounds for DCX. Might have to go to this one as it is only an hours drive from my house.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Midwest Zone Rendezvous, I was waiting to see what was up this summer! Any more info? The last one at RT 66 was great! I will be looking forward to the drive to Michigan, gotta love the long line of Vipers taking up the Highway!

Ryan, you and your father made it through 12 laps with your Dad, not too bad! I think my wife held up about the same! I think the walk to our seats took us longer than the 12 laps!! :laugh: Still a blast! :usa: