Question on brake squealing

Discussion in 'New Owner Questions' started by Supercharged Vipermad, Oct 3, 2000.

1. Supercharged Vipermad

Supercharged Vipermad Enthusiast

I just got my viper a few months ago. It has around 1000 miles on it now and the brakes are still squealing. It is very loud with light pedal, but still noticeable under heavy braking. I was just wondering if this was normal or should I have it looked at? I understand that they need a "break in" period, but I thought it would be over that by now.

Thanks!

2. Janni

Janni Enthusiast

Welcome to the Club. Brake squeal is as normal as neutral gear rattle for a Viper with stock pads. If it drives you crazy, you may want to change to the Porterfield R4-S (for Street) pads to eliminate the squeal. If you plan on driving your car on the track, then a higher performance pad is required, but most of them squeak, too. Talk to Rich Bontempi at High Performance House for pads if you decide to go with the R4-S. Welcome!

[​IMG]

3. Maverick The Electrician

Maverick The Electrician Enthusiast

Mine went away after a couple of months. I guess its a normal break in thing.

4. speedshftr

speedshftr Enthusiast

my 96 gts with 13,000 on her the brakes sqeal sometimes then they dont .but the brake dust is bad!im going to try those pads you guys mentioned