question on tire wire, racer info needed please.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When running a race set up with decent camber both front and rear...what side of the tire wears first on a roadcourse, Inside or Outside?

//------\\

With the car set up like above do the corner loads outweigh the static load on the tire causing the outside edges to show wear first?

Thanks,
Carl

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That may be, however I have some take offs from a WC car and one shoulder is worn slightly more than the other. There is no marking on the tires to state how they were mounted. Should I mount them with the most worn edge in or out? I run just under 2* camber.

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Carl,

Each track is different, some have more left's, some have more right's.
So, like Willow, in my Mustang, I ran -3.5' left, & -1.5' right.
Now guess why?

2-8-9 :eek: ) plus 3/16" toe out on the front, wt biased to the right 2-8-9 :eek: )

You have to figure out which turns to deal with(get the most out of) & set the car up for that.

Just my $1.25, I'm worth more. Remember, you have to beat a 1:34.25(mustang) speed :eek: )

Dave
www.davesbigbrakes.com

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LOL...Dave,

I hope to beat that next Viper days at Willow ;)

It looks to me that the most worn edge on these tires should go on the outside.

Carl

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: question on tire wear, racer info needed please.

OK..I'm starting with the greatest wear edge on the inside. From what I've been told the racers load up the outside edge the most.

I'll keep tabs with tire temps and flip them as needed.

Carl

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

WC cars use lots of camber because they are relatively heavy (I know, Vipers weigh more) and somewhat top-heavy, but the edge wear is often due to their braking with huge amounts of camber. Very possible the worn edge was inside on RF, inside LF, unless it was an oval, then outside LF.

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Track config is a big unknown. I seem to be getting my majority wear on the inside and under braking. I going to install a prop valve in the rear as it appears I'm locking or close to locking the right rear first under heavy braking. I did cord that tire first and on the inside.

The used tires I'm going to go with your suggestion. It appears that only about the first inch or less of the tire has the most wear. I think I'll put that on the outside of each corner. That way with my camber I ought to wear out what has the most rubber thinkness first.

I'll keep track of temps but usually get I can get them pretty even across the tread.