Question re: Drag Rims

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking for a set of rear 10" rims with the proper offset for use with drag slicks on my 97 GTS. Would the fronts from a Gen I or Gen II work? Also, all the new/used rims I've seen for sale are more than $1000. This seems high, especially when you can get a set of GM rallye's with a custom offset for less than $500. Anyone know of a cheaper route? Would a set of Dakota rims with the same 6 bolt pattern rewelded for a different offset work? Thanks.

racewheel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if there was a less costly way of doing it, i would have done it. the problem comes from the 13" diameter rear brakes on the viper (why they did that and used such a wimpy caliper is beyond me) a 16" wheel is the smallest wheel possible to get around the brakes, and this is only posible with specially formed components that place the drop center (what alows you to put a tire on) on the out side of the wheel. if you are real handy, you could cut down the rear rotor (to around 12" diameter), relocate the caliper bracket downward 1/2", flycut the top of the caliper (for additional clearence), and then you could get an off the shelf dakota wheel that might get past the control arms (96 and later, the 92-95 are to weird), and we haven't even addressed the problem of running stock fronts (big radials up front, wrinklewalls on the rear), unless you like evil handling cars that dont want to go in straight line above 60mph. one thing you might try is to see if anyone still has any of the michellin chub slicks, they might actually work reasonably well at the drag strip and will go on factory rear wheels.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets