Question regarding value of a 2000 GTS...

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I figured I'd resort to the viper communities knowledge about this being the new guy here and having only a "slight" idea about what I am considering. There's a gent close to me that has a very nice looking 2000 GTS that I'm considering purchasing if we can come to an agreement on the price. The car is black on cognac, aftermarket alpine stereo, fidanza flywheel, smooth tubes, mopar catback exhaust, and a set of stoptech brakes on the front. The tires are at 50%, I'd say, and the car has raced in the Viper challenge series before by the previous owner. the front bumper has been resprayed due to a parking curb incident (confirmed by actually digging up the previous owners phone number and him being nice enough to give me the time of day about his old car.) and looks wonderful now. No scratches...no gaps. The kicker is the mileage. The car sits at 77k miles right now. What would you guys feel would be a fair price to offer considering the car has been raced, had the bumper resprayed, and is high mileage? Any guidance and/or help is greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
CWhiteRun

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
'resort'? Ouch.

With that mileage and a racing past, it would be worth about 30 tops to me. MHO.

He was starting at 33k, but came down to 31k. No bad intentions using the "resort" word...just a limited vocabulary on my part. :2tu: This forum has been my go to for about everything regarding vipers for the past month now.

OP
OP
CWhiteRun

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I offered him $29k feeling that was a bit high on my part....he wasn't having any part of it at that price.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car has a few negatives going against it. If you don't get it for your price walk away. If he comes back, offer him less or find another. Too many cars for sale to deal with it.

Keep looking.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car has a few negatives going against it. If you don't get it for your price walk away. If he comes back, offer him less or find another. Too many cars for sale to deal with it.

Keep looking.
Ditto. There are lots of much lower mileage Vipers out there in better overall condition for only a couple thousand more.

OP
OP
CWhiteRun

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I talked with DC Performance today, and come to find out that they did every bit of the maintaining of the car over the past 30k miles. They installed the stoptech brakes, changed the water pump, timing chain, timing gasket, map sensor, motor mounts, installed the mopar catback exhaust, installed an auto power roll bar, installed a new radiator, and installed a new rearend all within the past 20k miles. The guy who has it now also threw in another intake manifold and a pair of loaded door panels to sweeten the deal. DC talked highly of the previous owner as well...I might just be talking myself into it, but I added it back on the list considering all that was replaced and the consistent maintenance this car has had. I'm not looking for a museum piece, but something I can thrash around and have fun with. Does $30k still sound high considering the cars history? I was also incorrect about the mileage. It's sitting at 73k...not a big difference, but a difference none the less.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked with DC Performance today, and come to find out that they did every bit of the maintaining of the car over the past 30k miles. ....

certainly helps, but the couple of $k diff is at least a new set of tires, fluid refresh, .....

if these don't matter, then neither does the couple of $k difference

:eater:

post up what you decide

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the milage doesn't so much bother me as the racing history. The car has quite possibly lived a hard life.

The racing history adds value. Is it documented? Look at all the cars going thru BJ Auction with a racing past. They command more money becasue of it. I would say it's worth $33K easily.

OP
OP
CWhiteRun

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
The racing history adds value. Is it documented? Look at all the cars going thru BJ Auction with a racing past. They command more money becasue of it. I would say it's worth $33K easily.
Not sure if you're the same person, but I think I've been out to your house before. I used to work for a wholesale dealer in Dothan who was friends with a guy that did custom viper interiors by the name of Chad. Seem to remember coming out to your place back in 2005 in an M3 drop-top with Chad.

OP
OP
CWhiteRun

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Is it documented?
The first owner that I know of was Chuck Carter and he placed in the Super Stock class of the Viper Challenge Series with the car...where or when still eludes me, but I've been trying to find the exact events the car competed in.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if you're the same person, but I think I've been out to your house before. I used to work for a wholesale dealer in Dothan who was friends with a guy that did custom viper interiors by the name of Chad. Seem to remember coming out to your place back in 2005 in an M3 drop-top with Chad.

could be. Me and Chad were friends. How is Chad these days?

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go buy the car.... Its close to you, no shipping, service history documented.. go get it.. have fun..

OP
OP
CWhiteRun

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
could be. Me and Chad were friends. How is Chad these days?
I have no idea honestly. I lost contact after I started working full time for my federal counterparts. Last I heard he had opened or bought out a bar and grill down in panama city.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like you're talking yourself into it, do it. like taximan said, its close, no shipping, dc did the maintenance recently (i trust them)

but never buy a car with your heart, only the head on your shoulders.......

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt that the Viper Challange Series ads any significent History to this car.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'd say that there is a fine line between a historic race vehicle with history and a ragged out track car. Of course, I have no idea which side of that line this car comes down on. I would have to research that if I were buying.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ragged out track car?

My new car has Nitrous and was tracked/dragged - at least once. Owner got scared and probably just used the car for cruisin' after that as no one came forward and said if the car was raced at ..... and won or lost.

I merely had Eddie Martin do a complete leak-down and compression test then go over the entire car. Engine at 21,800mi. had PERFECT leakedown and compression with only minor problems so I bought it.

If a supercar, like a Viper just gets around at low rpms all the time, you should assume that it's slow as that's how it's been treated all it's life. If the car has the original engine and trans with 70+ mi. then it has used up half of it's super reliable life. My 50,000mi. 700+rwhp GTS works better than it did when new. It has bigger, newer brakes on it, stereo, clutch, alum. flywheel, SS Corsa exhaust, Titanium axles, etc. My 'old' 01 GTS is so much better than new and it's because it's been well cared for. The higher mileage does lower the value a little though. Buy the car according to the condition.

However, personally ... I wouldn't buy a Viper unless it's supercharged or TT, but that's just me.

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235