Questions about 1.7 rockers...

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to ask another question about this subject, but I have a couple of questions:

1) Is there a noticable change in the "idle" sound of a 97 GTS with the 1.7 ratio rockers?

2) What would be the expected rwhp and rwtq of a 97 GTS with a Catback only?

Thanks to anyone who would be kind enough to reply.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert Dyck:

Thanks to anyone who would be kind enough to reply.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm kind enough to reply even though I've never made the mod.

From what I've read the hp increase is only about 10hp. It's got to give more sound though.

Reaction score
Robert, the truth of the matter (as I see it) is that you are not going to achieve a significant power/performance increase from 1.7 rockers unless you do your heads, intake, and exhaust as a package. The name of the game is "breathing". Your money would be better spent doing smooth intake tubes, K&N air filters and headers with a improved exhaust system to get started until you are prepared to spend 3-$5000 it will cost you for that extra 50RWHP gained by a pro head package! The 97 is one of the better sounding stock engines out there. The stock filters and exhaust just need some improvement. Been there, and the simple improvements were well worth it until I could go whole hog, which was definitely worth it! My 2 cents.

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.7 Rockers give the Viper engine just under .040 inches of added lift at the valve. With 1.6 and the stock cam you are about 1/2 inch. So no, you do not notice much difference at idle if any. Remember the rocker will not change the timing event of the cam, ie: when it leaves and returns to the seat. Expect to see upwards of 15 hp depending on other enhancements, possible 20. Great addition to a stock engine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razorwire