VCA Officer
Reaction score
Open or closed face?
Who's racing helmets do you like?
Any other suggestions?

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
depends how serious and often you will use it. if you ever plan to any open wheel stuff you will need a closed face w/ shield. if you are only doing viperdays and driver ed./track days i would do an open face much more comfortable and cooler. i currently have a closed face helmet that has NO face shield and when its time for a new one i will get an open face.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Depends on how much value you place on your teeth and jaw, I guess...

Really, if you're seriously tracking I don't see how there could be any debate about this.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no debate on my side closed face is safer, in a racing car. I dont know if any testing has been done in a street car with operable airbags and the influence of the extra mass on your head(helmet) and how it might affect the airbag functionally. I do own a closed face(no shield) but for comfort reasons(heat) i may buy an open face next time.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is a SCCA Technical Services Participant Bulletin on helmets.

DATE: November 16, 2004
TO: All Participants

SUBJECT: Airbag Advisory

It has been brought to the attention of SCCA Technical Services that the use of full-face or closed-face helmets while driving vehicles with active airbag restraint systems may result in injuries in the event of a crash that deploys the airbag. Because of the location of the steering wheel relative to a driver’s position, the airbag axis is on a level with the driver’s chin. In a crash with airbag deployment, contact with the chin area of a full-face helmet can be so powerful “that the risk of fractures to the jaw cannot be ruled out“ (Hubert Gramling, FIA Institute, FT3/AF, 18.5.1999). This applies to vehicle that may be used in Solo, RallyCross, High Performance Car Control Clinics, etc. Therefore, it is highly recommended that full-face helmets not be used in vehicles with functional airbag systems. Potentially more restrictive language is currently being considered for 2005, which could appear in an early 2005 issue of FasTrack. If you have any questions, please contact the SCCA at (800) 770-2055.

SPORTS CAR CLUB OF AMERICA, INC
PO Box 19400, Topeka, KS 66619-0400
(800) 770-2055 Fax (785) 232-7214 www.scca.com

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This really doesn't make much sense. If contact with the helmet covered chin can break your jaw, why couldn't contact with your bare chin break your jaw?

I would be really surprised if anyone at the SCCA has done any actual testing on crash dummies with open and closed faced helmets and airbags. So this Hubert Gramling guy says that "the risk of a broken jaw can't be ruled out."
In a car wreck, I'd say that the risk of a broken jaw can't be ruled out whether or not you have an airbag. In a bad wreck, I want all the protection I can get. I'll take the extra protection afforded by the full face guard. A full face helmet also protects your face from burns better than an open face helmet.

Personally, I wear an open face helmet for low-speed low risk stuff like auto-x, driving school, and the like, but prefer the protection of a full face helmet for full-on high speed stuff.

That said, the WRC rally guys all wear open face helmets, and one of them seems to crash just about every race.

Here is a SCCA Technical Services Participant Bulletin on helmets.

DATE: November 16, 2004
TO: All Participants

SUBJECT: Airbag Advisory

It has been brought to the attention of SCCA Technical Services that the use of full-face or closed-face helmets while driving vehicles with active airbag restraint systems may result in injuries in the event of a crash that deploys the airbag. Because of the location of the steering wheel relative to a driver’s position, the airbag axis is on a level with the driver’s chin. In a crash with airbag deployment, contact with the chin area of a full-face helmet can be so powerful “that the risk of fractures to the jaw cannot be ruled out“ (Hubert Gramling, FIA Institute, FT3/AF, 18.5.1999). This applies to vehicle that may be used in Solo, RallyCross, High Performance Car Control Clinics, etc. Therefore, it is highly recommended that full-face helmets not be used in vehicles with functional airbag systems. Potentially more restrictive language is currently being considered for 2005, which could appear in an early 2005 issue of FasTrack. If you have any questions, please contact the SCCA at (800) 770-2055.

SPORTS CAR CLUB OF AMERICA, INC
PO Box 19400, Topeka, KS 66619-0400
(800) 770-2055 Fax (785) 232-7214 www.scca.com

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, to cut to the chase, if we're going to get really serious about road-racing I'd say five/six point harnesses and a HANS device...

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Don't forget, whatever your choice, helmetcity.com offers our VCA a 10% discount!

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, to cut to the chase, if we're going to get really serious about road-racing I'd say five/six point harnesses and a HANS device...

Yes. It doesn't make sense to road race unless you have the safety equipment. I really think a 6 point belt is necessary, both from a safety standpoint, and also because it makes the car so much easier to drive during hard cornering.

If I plan on driving really fast, I use a 6 point Team tech harness, a closed face helmet, and an ISAAC device (similar to a HANS.) It really obviates the whole airbag breaking your jaw argument, as my body and head are strapped down pretty tight. I also wear a CarbonX/Nomex suit, goves, and underwear. I don't always wear all that stuff for casual lapping, but anytime I'm going to be pushing it, I err on the side of too much protection rather than too little.

Kai

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys. I just bought a closed face helmet from Simpson and find it a bit restrictive. It also has a tendency to fog with the face plate / visor snapped down. So, the face plate is now off. I thought, as most, that the closed face would be more protective, but most Nascar guys seem to wear open faces as well. I'll probably end up with two, one closed and one open for comfort, as Kai does, and wear the appropriate one at the appropriate time. :2tu:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai SRT10 said this,

"Personally, I wear an open face helmet for low-speed low risk stuff like auto-x, driving school, and the like, but prefer the protection of a full face helmet for full-on high speed stuff."

He's right.

Reaction score
Helmet considerations weight and strength get the strongest lightest available(changes with technology) usually the most expensive. The weight of the helmet puts extra stress on your neck and a sudden stop such as a wall can snap your neck could be deadly.

Full face helmet is the only reasonable choice for driving that has potential of high speed impact that could result in your chin hitting the steering wheel, chin pushed back could break your neck again result could be death.

Regarding fogging, I have the same problem and crack the shield until I get rolling out of the pits. The air flow after that keeps it from fogging. The face shield is critical to survive a cockpit fire. Breathing hot gases will destroy the oxygen exchange function of your lungs.

It is your life that is being protected, get the best possible protection!