Racing shoes recommendation needed

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Attention all track rats.

I want to get some good driving shoes for this year's road racing events. I will be doing ViperDays and other driving events.

What are your experiences with high cut, mid cut and low cut racing shoes, such as those found on Racer's Wholesale, Jegs, and Piloti.com? Pros and cons of the different styles? Do the high cut ones rub the ankles? What else should I know before buying a pair?

Also, any recommendation for gloves? I don't want my hands to slip on the steering wheel anymore after they get sweaty throughout the day.

Please share your experiences.

Thanks.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My shoes are Sparco. Low cut. I've had them for years and they have always been very comfortable.

I've gone through several pairs of Sparco gloves. I might try another brand to see if they last longer.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use Simpson Talon gloves. I used something else before a buddy showed me these. It allows a lighter grip on the wheel. My old gloves didn't offer much feel so I tended to grip the wheel to much. shop around there is a significant price range from resellers.

On shoes...I bought a "close out" special from summit and they are just fine. High tops, I think RJC. Plenty of feel through the bottom and very light.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very good info. Should be more people w/ experience chiming in here. In my road race at Limerock last year I was very unprepared, no gloves, shoes too fat, etc. The wrong equipment can be very dangerous. I wish more guys would make recommendations to this thread.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is all personal preference. Generally speaking, unless you are fully covered in flame retardant material, you are taking risk. So first off, think NOMEX (or the like) which will always cost more. There are shoes that are available with and without NOMEX. But if you're wearing full NOMEX low or mid rise shoes and cotton/nylon socks....well you're at risk.

For serious track use, you will want EVERYTHING in NOMEX with as much coverage as tolerable.
For "recreational" track use, you should try stuff on. It won't matter if your shoes are low or high from the standpoint of fire. Most all of the racing products (made by legit manufacturers) will work virtually the same from the standpoint of a driver.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
CitySnake;2520864[COLOR=red said:
]........For serious track use, you will want EVERYTHING in NOMEX with as much coverage as tolerable..[/COLOR].....

The above pretty much says it all. If you are "RACING" in a sanctioned event like SCCA, ICSCC, VRL, check with the sanctioning body who will REQUIRE Nomex or equivalent.

Many Piloti, RJS, etc are "driving shoes' and not RACING SHOES with SFI safety tags or fire protect ratings.

If you buy low tops for cooler or comfort, your sanction body might also require nomex socks.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simpson or Sparco high tops only. Very comfortable too. Pilotis are fine for around the pits etc. but not racing. Same brands for the gloves.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stand 21 Low Cut Boot. But as long as it is SFI/FIA compliant, it seems fit and your own personal comfort are the most important factors.

/Rich

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235